Ewe butting heads with the ram

Ewenicorn

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I found my ram and one of my ewes backing up a little and butting heads, I have also seen her do this to the others when she gets excitable. Is it aggressive at all?

Jeannie J

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am on here because I have the same question! I have a young ewe, who, quite frankly, acts like the boys, she buts heads with the rams, jumps around, and is generally mischievious. My other ewe who is not much older than her acts very much like what you would expect out of a ewe, docile, a bit more sensible, and not like a youngster at all. She just gave birth to twins and my younger ewe acted very aggressively towards them. Not sure what's up.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ha ha....it's called Girl Power.

Ewes can and do head butt, but usually each other. They tend not to do it so readily as rams. Ewes will butt rams who are annoying them (even if the ram doesn't realise he's being annoying).

So, yes, ewes can be aggressive. Their personalities, like ours, vary hugely from the very placid to the frankly quite nasty. Ewes tend to show their aggressive side when they have lambs....foot stamping and grunting, but butting, too.

Over the years I have had a couple of ewes who would butt people rather than run. Thankfully they are the exception rather than the rule.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Even lambs will do that to each other but we have only had two in several years that actually looked like they could do damage. They didn't get to stick around very long.

wolf

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've had my girls head-butt the ram in play during courting. Usually fool around and then turn the back end for him to mount. As long as no one's seriously bleeding - it's all in play... roughhousing.

NEWCOMER

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ha ha....it's called Girl Power.

Ewes can and do head butt, but usually each other. They tend not to do it so readily as rams. Ewes will butt rams who are annoying them (even if the ram doesn't realise he's being annoying).
Yea. Rams probably are annoying when there aren't any lambs around. And the mom when she has lambs is probably like:
Why? Why?WHYY!!!! :lol:

Last edited: