Ewe doesn't seem to be able to keep up with lambs nursing

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
The hay should be provided free choice and the lactating ewe should be getting 2-3 cups of grain twice a day... Depending on what the grain mixture is, the weight/cup will vary. But like GAF stated, generally speaking, one pound of grain will be about 2.5-3 cups. So what I'd do is start out with 3 cups (work up to this steadily over 3-4 days), twice a day, and then see if she recovers. If she does and then starts gaining weight, you can always cut her back a little. If it proves to still not be enough (it's an individual sheep thing) to allow her to produce enough milk for her lambs, you can always continue to increase up to say 4 cups a feeding... Maybe 4 morning and 3 evening (the lamb won't drink as much overnight). Obviously a higher protein grain mix would require less to meet the requirements. I'd be shooting for a 16% grain mix myself.

But right now, since she's already fallen behind, better to increase steadily and relatively quickly (like over several days to prevent bloat) until she's lactating well again. Then you just have to adjust up/down according to how they're all doing. Let us know how it goes!

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
luvmypets....don't worry, no lasting harm has been done (and the learning curve is always steep!). Avoid 'the bottle' if at all possible (ewes' milk replacer is very costly and nowhere near so good as the real thing).

I pretty much leave my ewes with as much food of all types in the couple of days they are in the shed after they have lambed (being a bit cautious with the 'ewe nuts'....18% protein over here....which a rapid increase in a ewe who has not been eating many can cause a nasty osmotic diarrhoea). When 'turned out' they get 2lbs of ewe nuts per ewe in two feeds for the first 6 weeks of the lambs life (or until the grass growth is really good).

Water needs to be available all the time.....I have 'ewe cups' which refill from the mains along the walls and buckets which sit in a little cradle which hang over the bars of the fences to prevent them being kicked over. Silage is similarly provided in little racks across the bars.

Mine also get lots of little treats....biscuits, bread etc. all designed to provide them with the huge calorie intake they need to feed rapidly growing lambs (ewes' milk is high fat/calorie).

Still, I'm sure all will be well....and DON"T beat yourself up.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I only feed a cup of mixed grains/hay pellet per ewe. But they're supposed to be able to keep up on hay alone, so it depends on your breed, quality of hay, any pasture and such.

If the lambs aren't hounding mom constantly, they should be fine.

Water should always be available as well as hay.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
I never updated this thread, Rosie is doing great and is slowly weaning the twins. After doing research and getting advice we slowly upped her ration and she has been producing great ever since! Thanks for everything guys :hugs