Ewe due this week but no udder

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's AMAZING how fast they can make milk. As others have said...it only takes a few ounces for first time or two of nursing. The hormones that happen at kidding brings in milk. Each ewe can start ahead of, during or after birthing. I think you're probably going to be ok. As soon as that lamb latches, it's a whole new ballgame. A miracle actually. 😊

I milk goats. They fill within 10-12 hours, every day. It is amazing!! Always in awe of it.

Last edited:

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't plan on bottle feeding until you are sure lamb is not nursing from mom. Check lamb's belly and it should be nicely solid. That means it is getting milk.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Easy way to check lambs, stick your finger in its mouth. It should be warm. Warm equals good. Cold mouth means warm that baby up ASAP. I’ve only had to warm babies once in 8 years. I used a hair dryer, tented a bath towel over a laundry basket with their little heads out. Important not to scorch their lungs with hair dryer. A box with hole cut in it works better to poke their head out, with hole in other end to poke hair dryer in.

Don’t bottle feed a cold lamb, they can’t digest the milk. In ignorance I killed twins that way—with the help of a veterinarian. Guess he was ignorant too. At least I knew better the second time around.

Don’t hit the panic button, give mom and lamb time to sort things out. Sometimes jugging or putting them together in a small pen, helps moms to bond to their babies.

Latest posts