Ewe freq urination

ewellons

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My ewe gave birth last week and did great but now it seems like she keeps trying to urinate and is unable.. at first she had a few drops of clear urine but now it looks like it is a bloody discharge and she just can not get comfortable... any suggestions

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
jhm47 said:
Call the vet.
Would you please explain why you said that? Not questioning why you said to call the vet, btw, I just want to know why. :) I happen to be in an area where vets don't "do sheep" except one, and you have to haul them in which is not the easiest to do. Especially if the sheep is in distress. (And it is quite a ways drive.)

None of my sheep have this problem, but if they did (perhaps in the future) I would like to understand what is going on.

So many times I come here to get info and many of the threads just end abruptly. Also many of the shephards don't give us updates. Yes I know they are busy like I am, however a tiny update/explanation would be really helpful. :D

I hope your sheep is doing better ewellons. :) Congratulations on the lambs.

ewellons

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the info... so far she does seem to be doing better today have reallyincreased the hay and grain also added some molasses to the water again to get her to drink more...but still keeping a close eye on her

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I think he suggested to call the vet because it could have been a uterine infection and those can get nasty if not properly treated.

ewellons

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Is a vet the only way to diagnosis an urinary tract infection in sheep?? What else should I be watching for if it is?? I just want to try and be prepared. Thanks:)

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I suggested that you call the vet because it is nearly impossible to diagnose something like this on an internet forum. She could have an infection or an injury that is causing her to be unable to urinate. If she is not able to pass urine, she will certainly die. A vet could catheterize her and provide temporary relief while an accurate diagnosis is performed.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
ewellons said:
My ewe gave birth last week and did great but now it seems like she keeps trying to urinate and is unable.. at first she had a few drops of clear urine but now it looks like it is a bloody discharge and she just can not get comfortable... any suggestions
Chances are that the ewe didn't discharge the placenta or part of one. It is now starting to rot and she will get/ has uterine infection. Without getting her to a Vet ASAP to clean her out and start an antibiotics regimen, her prognosis for survival will rapidly deminish with time.