Ewe lambed on December 4th, belly still big, intermittent vaginal bleeding

Childwanderer

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My ewe Cherry (purchased pregnant in 2017, after having had at least one successful lambing. Thought to have been born in 2015.) gave birth to a healthy, big male singleton on December 4th. Ample milk, no problems noticed. However, her belly still seems very big, as though she were still pregnant, and I noticed intermittent vaginal bleeding the past few days. No other symptoms. Her stool is healthy, she is active and eating well. I am still waiting to hear back from the vet, as they are very busy catching up from the Christmas Day break. Is there anything I can do to support her in the meantime? There doesn't seem to be any smell or sign of infection I can see, and as she lambed without assistance or witnesses I can't speak to any birth trauma. Is it possible that her being middle-aged means a slower recovery, perhaps exacerbated by getting in a fight with another sheep or being stressed? A dog did get into the pasture before Christmas, but I was there and able to catch the beast apparently before she caught anyone and there weren't any injuries, but perhaps the ewe was stressed enough to shake her up? This ewe has never had any problems lambing before; she's an excellent mother and a hearty girl.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
How much bleeding and how many days? She is 30 days or close, to post partum.... she could very well be starting to cycle again and that is just a little post-ovulating blood. Cattle often have a bloody discharge 1-3 days after being in heat. Age might make her seem big around the middle. If there is no smell or other type of discharge, I would tend to think it is just her starting to cycle again. Stress can do anything, but if she is eating good, normal manure, and no smells, I don't think she is in trouble. Still, follow what the vet thinks...

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Goats, and probably sheep also, have post birthing discharge that seems to peak around 3ish weeks post-partum. It's nothing more than the uterus shrinking up and discharging all the post birthing yuckiness! If she's eating well and feeding her baby she's probably fine. If you're still worried - take her temp. If it's elevated then you can worry (and call the vet)!

Good luck with your new baby!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a ewe that still looks pregnant after delivery. I weaned her last twins a month ago, at 3 months old. They have been sold and are gone. She still looks pregnant. Nearest I can guess is she is 7 years old.

I’m sure, with the previous posters, full of their experience and wisdom, that your ewe is ok.

Childwanderer

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes, thank you everyone. She and her big son are doing well. I feel silly for worrying now, but grateful for y'all and this forum.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, thank you everyone. She and her big son are doing well. I feel silly for worrying now, but grateful for y'all and this forum.
That’s not silly at all. It just shows that you care. We have all been there. Just remember, there are no stupid questions. If you don’t know, you don’t know. Always feel free to ask.