Ewe unable to stand SOS

newgirl97

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Bridgemoof said:
ok whew! I was worried for a minute. :D You are being a great sheep mommy to her. :hugs
:hugs

newgirl97

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Her IV bag is almost emptied, once it is we're going to see if she has enough energy to stand and maybe eat a little. We'll also take her temperature.

Mary normally was the most miserable untrusting ewe. I have never touched her in our entire time together as much as i have just today. If she makes it through i wonder if she'll trust us, or go back to her usual self.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Glad she is haning in there.
I am a bit surprised though. It sounded pretty dire.

I would check with the vet on this but I would go slow with getting her back on feed. Her rumen may need some help.

newgirl97

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
alsea1 said:
Glad she is haning in there.
I am a bit surprised though. It sounded pretty dire.

I would check with the vet on this but I would go slow with getting her back on feed. Her rumen may need some help.
We're all surprised too. We're going to call the vet first thing in the morning to see what we can do next, he didn't give us further instructions because he didn't expect her to be alive at this point.
We've taken the IV out now and took her temperature 40degrees (c) :celebrate Oh, and she drank quite a bit of water but still wouldn't eat, We'll be careful if we give her food. Also we still can't get her up.

newgirl97

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This morning Mary seemed better, but she's taken a turn for the worse again. It's after hours now and we're considering calling the vet in the morning to see if theres anything else we can do. If not we may euthanize her, it's awful to watch her suffer like this.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Oh darn it.
It may be the humane thing to do at this point.
She may just be to spent to recover.

littlelambx3

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
This whole event has broken my heart reading it. Poor girl. I agree though.. It may be the best thing to put her down if she does not improve soon. It's awful that sometimes we have to pick that choice, but it's best for the animal at times.
I am so sorry for this, you've done a great job and everything you could do. And she knows that! :hit

Four Winds Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:hugs
If worse comes to worst and you have to put her down, it might be possible to save her lamb/s through c-section!!! I am sure the vet will know what it is doing!

newgirl97

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.
I went out there, She's drooling again. Its all over her. Poor girl :(

@FourWindsRanch unfortunatly i don't think she's far enough along in her pregnancy :( She's not bagged out. When i said they're due in two weeks i was estimated, we don't know when exactly she was bred, but most of our ewes are going in two weeks.