Ewe with Injured Leg

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
So I got a pair of approx 2 month old ewe lambs last weekend. They are super wild. Getting them out of travel crate involved one ramming itself under noclimb wire and escaping. Also much ping-ponging off sides of corral.

Today I noticed the white and balck one limping badly on the left front. The knee looks swollen. I *think* she's the one that did the escaping and worst jumping but not sure.

She's still eating, drinking, and pooping normally. Do I try and catch her to inspect? Will it heal by itself? 🤷‍♀️
20220416_101120.jpg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If she were mine I would not bother her right now. It does not appear to be that swollen in the short video. It is probably a sprain/strained muscle and you trying to catch her will only aggravate it. Give it a couple days at least. She is putting weight on it, the limp is minor. If there was concern that she had foot rot or something that would be different. But you know she got herself all tied up in knots over the getting out etc. Getting them more accepting of you is a bigger priority.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow. From sprained, bad bruise or broke possible. If mine, I'd watch for a day or two and try not to rile her into more acrobatics. She is putting some weight on it, so I'm leaning away from a break. Swelling? Hard to tell. My best guess is bruise and sprain. Do you have any Buteless? It's molasses based with devils claw for pain, so could go on some feed. Not for a bred one, but she's not. Helps with pain and no hands on from you.

You sure like a challenge! Bottle babies are tame. :hide:hugs

They are nice looking though. :love👍

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Eh..... I never give my animals pain meds ...

My thought is you want the sprain to hurt, so they WILL baby it, and let it heal.

However, if the pain is bad enough that they are off their feed, then yes, pain meds would be good.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd say aspirin but to get it into her....?? Maybe crushed. Then karo or molasses. Onto grain? No sheep but I've used for horses and goats. None is mandatory, I just thought the injury hurt and a pain relief was kind. Sometimes pain is a reminder to take it easy to them. Didn't look too major in the video.

I suspect they'll calm before long. A truck ride. Strange place. New everything. It's scary!!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
How is your ewe?

Sit on the ground, talk softly, for a few minutes each day. Leave a sweaty T-shirt on their feed trough or next to it. Heavy pregnancy seems to bring out the needy in a ewe. Belly rubs are a favorite, it might take until they are bred and ready to lamb before they actually want attention. In the meantime, they will calm down a lot just by you being calm and patient with them.

My first sheep were 4 bred ewes that came off a 300 acre ranch. They were bounce off the walls WILD. Miranda was one of them and she became a eat from my hand greedy pet. Ewenique was one too, still have her, she was the wildest and she calmed down, and will paw with her hoof for more petting. It just takes time. Whole corn is their sheep crack.

Yesterday, one of Miranda's triplets, Nora, came to me for rubs. She hasn't wanted anything to do with me for several months, other than an occasional petting. Nora had a thick thatch of winter wool that obviously she wanted gone. I rubbed back and forth with my fingers and plucked nearly ALL of it off. She only has a small patch of wool left now. She walked away, she was done.

Latest posts