Ewe with sore mouth?

Parsnip

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
OKAY, so here's the story.

I just got two new ewes about 3 weeks ago.
The lady I got them from said they had JUST recovered from sore mouth.
She said she separated them from the rest of the herd for about a month until the sores were GONE. Fallen off, and gone.
(I have been talking to this lady for about 6 months, so I trust her word)

One of my ewe lambs seems to have sore mouth again?
Just in the past few days I've noticed the corners of her mouth are red and have very small brown-ish scabs on them?
It's very small, but she is white and the dark red corners on her mouth are easy to notice.

I just noticed a few days ago, so I'm not sure separating her from my other 4 sheep will do any good right now.
Although, they are not showing any signs of sore mouth? Yet?

I thought once they had it, they could never get it again???
I'm confused.

Can they get it again?

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
oh No.
Soremouth is a zoonotic disease meaning animals can transmit it to humans. As many physicians may be unfamiliar with the disease, be sure to tell your doctor if you've been exposed to infected or recently vaccinated sheep or goats.

As with any disease there are some animals that can be chronic carriers.
Carrier or chronically-infected animals may also serve as reservoirs for infection.

However, there are different strains of soremouth, and it is possible for previously infected animals to become infected with soremouth more than once in their lifetimes. Infections usually occur several years apart and repeat infections tend to be less severe.

Treatment of soremouth is usually unrewarding. Because it is a virus, soremouth does not respond to antibiotics. Nor is it usually necessary to treat the lesions unless secondary bacterial infection or maggot infestation occurs. Treatment does not speed the course of lesion regression, which is usually about one month. Affected animals may recover only slightly quicker if the lesions are treated.

Treatment of individual animals usually consists of applying salves or antibiotic creams to the lesions. Systemic antibiotics can be used if secondary bacterial infections are severe. It is recommended that the crusts not be removed, as this may delay healing, promote scarring, and increase the handler's chance of acquiring the disease.

There are several other diseases (some serious and reportable) whose symptoms may resemble soremouth: foot-and-mouth disease (FMD), sheep and goat pox, and bluetongue. Veterinary assistance should be sought when a differential diagnosis is needed and a more serious disease is suspected.

As with animals, soremouth can cause painful lesions in people. The lesions are usually on the hands. The sores may last for two months and usually heal without scarring. In rare cases, soremouth causes serious illness in people.

Animals can be so fun sometimes.

Parsnip

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes!
I've read up on sore mouth, and thank you for your input!
They lady I got them from said she just keeps her infected ewes separate and then lets the virus run it's course.

OF COURSE.
A few days before I noticed the sores, I let her eat out of my hand. :barnie
Nothing on me yet.
Though I always wash my hands really good after I'm in the barn, regardless.

It's just.... what do I do with my panda faced ewe now?
I don't want her to keep getting sore mouth :/

If she's a chronic carrier then I don't want her in my flock, obviously.
BUT
There is a chance she's got a bun in the oven right now, so I can't do anything with her right now.
Any helpful hints for me???

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Honestly, unless you have a really nasty strain of it, sore mouth isn't a big deal. In the 12/13 years we've been raising sheep no one in my family has ever gotten sore mouth from the sheep (not to say it won't happen at some point or to someone else). I actually LIKE that our lambs get exposed to it. Why? Because we do some showing. Sore mouth is one of the most common diseases that gets picked up at a show. If our lambs get it at home, way before show season starts, then there is a much smaller chance of them getting it during the season. If they got it during show season, we'd have to scratch from the shows.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is zoonotic...but if you had no cuts or open skin on your hand, you'll probably be just fine. My sister in law once was kissing and kissing a lamb we were looking at ...right on the lips and crusty sores :rolleyes: She didn't get it...NOT that I am recommending any sane person do that! :p

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:lol:
Some people are funny that way.
I'm not so sure I wanna get that close to any animals lips.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well...she is the one that would see one of our dogs eat chicken poop, then share her hazelnut coffee with him right after :sick

I share this as I think the original poster will be fine...hope her critters will be too!!! :fl

Parsnip

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
OH NO
I have a few paper/grass cuts on my hand, but only since yesterday??? lol
I've been wearing gloves down to the barn these past two days!

lol I guess I may have been overreacting a bit!

The infected ewe is still eating just fine, so I suspect that the sores don't hurt that much!
I'll just keep an eye out on her.

Thanks for all the advice!!!!
:hugs

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think you will be just fine :hugs And glad your ewe is eating and drinking well!

Just checked out your website...love the photos...but then I am such a sheeple and love seeing pics of sheep :love

Parsnip

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
bonbean01 said:
I think you will be just fine :hugs And glad your ewe is eating and drinking well!

Just checked out your website...love the photos...but then I am such a sheeple and love seeing pics of sheep :love
OH MY
I'm so flattered that you checked out my blog! :weee :love
oh boy oh boy oh boy.
You are amazing.

Latest posts