Ewe won't let newborn lamb nurse

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would not change to a bottle lamb if he seems to be getting full during a nursing. Too much trouble and the natural milk is better. Just keep doing what you are doing... it is working. He will be looking for more solid food sooner this way if he is still hungry and mixing in with the others will teach him quicker to eat.
I think you have it working... don't look to try to mix it up now. He might even try stealing off the other ewe if he "gets it" that the other ewe stands still for her lamb.

Rin

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Picture updates too as thanks for y'alls help.
0321211634a-1.jpg
0321211635b-1.jpg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think that the first one caught on the first breeding and this one caught on the next heat. I am assuming that the ram was in there for 3-4 weeks? since they cycle in the 21 day range, he was probably the next cycle. Yes, ram lambs tend to be a little bigger but not set in stone. I doubt she carried him for an additional 3 weeks although I will not say it is impossible, just very unlikely even though he was bigger.
Let him eat until he does as you said... starts to get distracted.... he looks to be in very good condition so I don't think it is hurting him any....it only takes a few minutes for them to get all the ewe has in her udder at the time....and in a short time he will reach under and suck both the teat near him and the other side, while still on the same side of the ewe....

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do late babies happen in sheep and are they harder on their mommas? Both ewes were exposed to the same ram at the same time, both FFs. The ewe lamb was born 3 weeks before this ram lamb was and have been the same size despite the difference in age. I know rams are typically bigger but he was kind of above and beyond that.
Sheep cycle every 17 days, so that would be about right if one ewe got bred first and the other had just finished her cycle and didn't go again until 17 days later.

Rin

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It's a miracle!
After the whole head restraint situation; she completely lost interest in him, didn't talk to him, ignored his cries etc.

Just went to hold her for a feeding and out of nowhere she started talking to him again. Curious, I gave some slack. She looked over at him. Gave his butt a lil nuzzle. Didn't move her teats away! So I backed away a little more and more. She just kept talking to him and nuzzling him so I kept inching away. She started to walk away but he had enough of a feed and she was still talking to him so I saw it as an improvement!

Just went to put the feed bucket away. I hear her still softly making her sound and - smek smek smek. Shine my headlamp over - sure enough! She was letting him suck away all on their own!

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Whoop!!! That’s fantastic, I know you are excited and happy over this! You have done great with her and the lamb. You never slacked off and never gave up. I’m so happy for you, the ewe and the lamb.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's a miracle!
After the whole head restraint situation; she completely lost interest in him, didn't talk to him, ignored his cries etc.

Just went to hold her for a feeding and out of nowhere she started talking to him again. Curious, I gave some slack. She looked over at him. Gave his butt a lil nuzzle. Didn't move her teats away! So I backed away a little more and more. She just kept talking to him and nuzzling him so I kept inching away. She started to walk away but he had enough of a feed and she was still talking to him so I saw it as an improvement!

Just went to put the feed bucket away. I hear her still softly making her sound and - smek smek smek. Shine my headlamp over - sure enough! She was letting him suck away all on their own!
Hallelujah!!!!! Such good news! I was hoping for that outcome. :weee

Rin

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It wasn't a fluke!!

Here I am. Staring out a far window into the pasture. Watching him suckle away till his hearts content.

Can't tell you why it took her brain so long to flip this switch. Just can tell you I'm absolutely over the moon about it!

I really did not want to cull this ewe. Very very small flock and she was my favorite.

Her name is Lily btw, I call him Pi because he was born on Pi day. If they keep this up, I'll be placing him in the UF ram program. He's a tough lil booger despite everything.

Latest posts