Excess gas issues?

GladeCreek

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just read something about bloating in sheep. Of course, when I read something, I get all paranoid. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I have only had my sheep for about a week now and they have gotten pretty round since we have had them. I also noticed allot of belching and when I palpate their tummys, I can feel it rumbling. Is this normal? They are not starting to bloat, are they?

Thanks,

Kelly

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here's a great site for diseases in sheep that may help you with these types of questions.

http://www.sheep101.info/201/diseasesa-z.html

I would say that, if your sheep are burping quite a bit, they are regulating their gas just fine. If they appear uncomfortable, stop eating, lie down and won't get up or stand with their head down and won't eat or drink much....then you can get worried.

What are you feeding them? Is it any different than what they are used to eating? Are they eating, drinking and active?

Aggie could probably give you a better answer than I, so I hope she weighs in on your question.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Kelly, what are your sheep eating? It's normal for them to have round bellies if they're on pasture or getting lots of forage (which is good for them). They can bloat if their diet is suddenly switched (such as going from a dry-lot situation to lush pasture, or going from a grass pasture to alfalfa pasture), or they can bloat as a result of gorging themselves on grain.

If their belly is pretty evenly rounded, they're probably fine. If they're bloated, you'll notice their left side (rumen) is very high and abnormally tight. They'll usually act "off", like being lethargic, laying down, in pain.

If your sheep are burping, that's normal. Eructating (fancy word for "burping" :lol:) is totally normal in a rumenant. When you palpate them, you're forcing the gas (which is naturally produced by rumen bacteria) out, causing them to eructate (I just like saying that word ;)). Also, if you put your ear to their left side, you should be able to hear lots of grumbling noises in a healthy rumen.

GladeCreek

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you Aggie & Bee!

It looks as if the sheep "deflated" this morning and there have not been anymore issues with them this afternoon. Per usual, I more than likely freaked out. I had no idea that they could look pregnant when they have a full rumen.

They are acting normal and they have normal berry feces.

I do know that they were gorging on green grass here and I do not think they got that much where they were before.

Before, they were eating a grain mix, bermuda and alfalfa hay and were given some access to a mixed grass field.

Here, they will not even touch their hay because they want the green grass. LOL

Silly sheep!

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Glad to know they're ok, Glade. Keep an eye on them though, that's an ideal situation for bloat. Bloat can take an animal down fast.

When you're introducing sheep to pasture, it's always good to feed them hay before turning them out so they can get a belly full of hay first, then they won't be so likely to gorge themselves, plus the rumen will have a good buffer. :)