Excessive Wax or ? in Rooster's Ear

Sparrow

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I noticed recently that my five year old rooster named Cali, has excessive wax or pus build up that gathers on the opening of his ears. It's solid and dry, and when I clean it off notice that there is no oozing on the inside of the ear, and there is no redness, no odor at all. I'm not going to do anything but check his ears every few days and clean when necessary. He doesn't have any other problems, that are visible. Anyone have similar experience?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I noticed recently that my five year old rooster named Cali, has excessive wax or pus build up that gathers on the opening of his ears. It's solid and dry, and when I clean it off notice that there is no oozing on the inside of the ear, and there is no redness, no odor at all. I'm not going to do anything but check his ears every few days and clean when necessary. He doesn't have any other problems, that are visible. Anyone have similar experience?
No, and I have had a bunch of chickens for a bunch of years.

:idunno

Sounds most odd.

Sparrow

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
No, and I have had a bunch of chickens for a bunch of years.

:idunno

Sounds most odd.
I don't think most chicken flock owners regularly check all of their birds' ears, unless they're pets. I only checked his ears because he likes to be held sometimes, and the day I was holding him I just decided to look at his ears.

Last edited:

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't think most chicken flock owners regularly check all of their birds' ears, unless they're pets. I only checked his ears because he likes to be held sometimes, and the day I was holding him I just decided to look at his ears.
So you wouldn't see it normally?

It is hidden under feathers?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
His ears holes are hidden under tiny feathers.
That I know... but it wasn't clear to me if you could see the wax just normally. As in, is there so much that it builds up and is seen through the feathers or is seen dripping down the side of his face.

Only rarely have I brushed aside the feathers to look inside the ear canal.

With my parrots I see their ear area more frequently, and up close, and have never noticed any discharge.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Never knew they had wax... :hu ...but watching them dirt bath, I can see how there would be stuff get there! No ooze, redness, pain, I'd say no worry....just a dirty bird.

Sparrow

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
On one side the wax was sticking to the tiny feathers and totally blocking the earhole. But it's now a moot issue. I was cleaning his ears every few days and now after checking him two days in a row, his ears are perfectly clean.

I will continue to keep an eye on his ears.

Last edited:

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
On one side the wax was sticking to the tiny feathers and totally blocking the earhole. But it's now a mute issue. I was cleaning his ears every few days and now after checking him two days in a row, his ears are perfectly clean.

I will continue to keep an eye on his ears.
In that case....no it is not a normal thing.

Nice that whatever it was has cleared up.