Expecting our first piglets: Babies are here

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have real ones! They were put inside tho so mama pig could have some space.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
You need the ceramic ones so the real ducks know the pond is safe? ;) Or maybe decoys for raptors.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
You need the ceramic ones so the real ducks know the pond is safe? ;) Or maybe decoys for raptors.
No they are from my grandmas house, we took em when we cleaned out her house.

Hipshot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Im quite anxious to see how she will react to us handling the piglets as the people we bought her from say they barely handled theirs. In fact the farm we got Priss at we purchased two barrows who were so nasty! We got so lucky that she decided she loves people. What is the best way to handle them, so mum stays calm? Also While she is farrowing should I dry the babies off as they come. I really want her to be as comfortable as possible.
She will tolerate you or she won't . She will need to be alone when she farrows .Make sure the other pigs can't get to her . If she allows you to be there all you need do is make sure the placenta is not covering their nose so they can breath and place them on the teats . Once she expels the placenta she may want to eat it immediately . It's ok they do that It's a natural thing .If you aren't scratching her belly you should be . As far as handling the piglets cradle them don't squeeze them . If they squeal she will react . If she gets upset she can hurt or kill the piglets .And the same goes for you . If she is like most guilt's ,she may rise and smell the first one then lay down and finish farrowing or my rise and smell each one . You have to be ready to get clear . Remember the main thing is keep her calm and spend as much time with her as you can between now and the farrow . You will know when the first pig comes out , If she will let you stay or run you out . Large swine operations have farrowing crates . They confine the sow and only allow her to stand up or lay down but not turn around. Google those . It's a option and designed for your safety and the safety of the pigs. I'm not to crazy about them but they work . You'll know right off if she is a good momma, just by the way she gets up and lays down . It won't be slow motion but it will be slow and easy . Just keep doing what your doing .I'm betting she trust you and will allow you to be there and help with the birth .

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you @Hipshot I have been spending as much time with her as possible. She is very trusting and she rolls on her side for belly rubs. You can tell she is tired tho, only 18 more days!
IMG_2932.JPG

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are eleven days until Priss's due date, however the earliest possible date would be on the 15th, so we could potentially have babes within the next week. I was giving her rubs tonight and her teats are starting to firm up, which I compare to when my ewes start bagging up. Im on the edge of my seat waiting for these little ones.

Latest posts