Experience with lungworm?

KDJarvis

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with lungworm? I have several questions.

We are new to goats. Live in Houston, have areas that stay wet a lot of the time. Our yearling minimancha who had other health issues now has lungworm - we are treating. Not a big surprise. The surprise is that now I believe my 8yr old nubian doe may have it, also, and she was in good health.

What is the long term solution? I am treating 3 times with levamisole, but I can't keep doing that regularly...we are working on getting ducks in with them. I thought healthy adult goats shouldn't get them...now I'm worried about having to deal with them constantly. Would appreciate input especially if anyone has dealt with this successfully before. I usually try herbal dewormers and natural treatments, but will use whatever means necessary to keep them healthy.

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Do fecals to ensure you are getting effective deworming. Especially if you are trying 'natural' treatment to try to control parasites.
Ivomectin works on lungworm. Yes, all ages can get lungworm, but make sure it is that, and not some other lung issue. Goats do cough and hack more as a part of natural hocking up cud. New goatkeepers can get confused about that.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lungworm doesn't show up in a typical float, you need a baermann's float but even then, it's very difficult to find. Several state labs had told us this, and our vets said just to treat if lungworm is suspected.

We had lungworm many years ago- we had our first 3 goats and we had a lot of slugs/snails.

We treated with Ivermectin and it worked great. We ended up getting ducks & geese and haven't had an issue since.

Latest posts