Extremely pregnant Finnsheep ewe not standing due to sore foot

Ponker

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm watching her like a hawk. My neighbor, who is an old-timer with a great deal of experience, is worried that I'm giving her too much grain and making her fat on the inside even though her poor hip bones are sharp through her fleece. He's had an instance where one of his ewes fattened on the inside. One time they (he and his dear wife) had one pregnant and it was slow coming up the hill out of the pasture, so they put it in a stall inside the barn and fed it there. It was fine, just tired and slow as a big pregnant momma can be. When they came back in the morning, she was dead.

They performed a necropsy on the poor dead momma and removed three very large babies along with slabs of fat that had grown up inside the rib cage and abdomen. These thick slabs of fat are what they think killed this poor momma. Now, they are very strict with their supplemental feeding.

After hearing the story, I'm not sure that it was the fat that killed the momma so I'm reluctant to cut back Kaarina's grain to less than what I'm giving her. She's not even eating it all. I'm super worried about toxemia or ketosis and milk fever as she continues to carry these babies. According to one of my books, "Raising Sheep the Modern Way", (updated and revised edition) making sure she is getting enough nutrition and calories can ward off these diseases (with exercise).

Perhaps their pregnant ewe wasn't killed by the fat that lined her insides but instead, lack of calcium or calories. We'll never know. I very much value my neighbors and dear friends, who have taken me under their knowledgeable wings to help me learn.

They are wonderful people who, at 71 and 74, still operate a working farm with ~20 ewes not counting the lambs running around or their 2 rams, also- chickens, coon hounds, LGDs, meat rabbits, and a LaMancha milk goat with her little newborn doeling. They have a wealth of experience and I'm humbly gracious that they're sharing it with me.

I want this ewe to have these babies already! I'm certain that the other lambs have not been nursing her. I broke down and did a little bit of hoof trimming to make sure she wasn't dealing with a pebble or thorn wedged in there, then medicated all four. She had some hoof trying to roll so maybe it was irritating. I made sure not to cause her too much stress. It was quick but thorough. I'll use blue kote this morning, she jerked when I put the hoof medicine on, like it stung. She does have irritation between her toes but it will heal fast now that I'm putting medicine on it.

Thanks to everyone for the help and great advice. This is a great forum with great people. its nice to be a part of it.

OllieAcres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I wish you the best and that the lambing process goes okay. I am going to make a guess and say she has 4 babies packed in there.
Can't wait to see pictures!

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi Ponker,

It sounds as though she is expecting multiples, an even a relatively mild sore foot will hurt a lot more with a lot of extra weight on it. If you don't get pretty prompt relief from antiseptic foot sprays/topical agents an injection of long acting tetracycline will sort her out. Pressure on nerves in the back legs is not at all uncommon in the last few weeks, but the front legs shouldn't be affected.

Ewes with multiples often go off their food towards the end of pregnancy due to hormone change and just plain lack of room.Provided she has been well fed over the last 4-6 weeks she should be fine. If she's not very mobile leaving food and water very close to her is a good idea.

So when will they come? Few her udder....it will be hot, quite tense and swollen throughout if she is near. Don't pull for milk. Milk will come down in the day or two before lambing, but there is the risk of introducing infection if you do.

Look at her ladies parts. You say she is swollen already, and often there is significant redness in addition near to delivery. You may find a mucus plug (from the cervix) or see a little mucus escaping from her vagina. If so, the cervix is starting to open slightly and labour won't be far off.

It sounds to me as though she is very close, so watch out for her starting to seem uneasy, staring off into space and panting at times.....then scratching the floor.....then you know she is really on her way.

Stay with her when she is in labour.though the majority of multiples come out without any need to intervene, lambs can be twisted around each other and one need pushing back, a 'rump first' birth is quite common and mum doesn't always lick the right end of the lamb to remove the membrane blocking the mouth and nose.....very easy to remedy.

Good luck.

Ponker

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Kaarina's foot healed nicely. A little scald was making her reluctant to use her foot. I imagine it would be exponentially worse carrying all that extra weight.

On Feb 4 at eight am, Kaarina delivered George a white male with one leg forward with his head. Within a few minutes she delivered Sissy with no problems, regular presentation. After a few minutes of walking and pawing, Herbert's hooves could be seen within his water sac. He was coming breech. The water sac stayed intact throughout the delivery and the cord wasn't pinched or broken. His first breath was a little gurgly but after a few shakes of his head, he was well on his way to finding the teat.

Kaarina is at my neighbor's farm. We couldn't move her until she gave birth. She was purchased pregnant with the knowledge of previous mastitis and only one functioning teat. We diligently made sure each lamb suckled colostrum for two days.
Kaarina and babies at the McE farm.jpg

Kaarina and the babies at McE farm 2.jpg

Kaarina and the babies at McE farm 3.jpg

Kaarina and the babies at McE farm 4.jpg

Then I brought George and Sissy home.
George and Sissy at home 2.jpg

George and Sissy at home.jpg

We're bottle feeding them. They're noisy and full of energy for newborns!

Kaarina will stay at my neighbor's farm until Herbert is weaned. I'm working on a closed herd so perhaps Kaarina will become his sheep. I love her but she will be co-mingled with his sheep and he does no testing. Sometimes its hard to do the right thing for your animals because of personal attachment. I'm trying to put sentiment aside and do the right thing but its hard. Harder than I thought it would be.

I'm happy but at the same time sad. At this very moment I am being serenaded by two little lambs from my laundry room. I'm so tired but can't help but to smile and laugh at these two little maniacs.

OllieAcres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Congrats on the lambs! Glad someone was there to help her out. She is a really beautiful sheep so I am sure those lambs will be gorgeous.