Eye crust? update WARTS

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My highland cow has a greyish/white lumpy crust around her top eye lid. Just noticed it today, the vet is coming out tomorrow but I didnt know if you had any ideas? I want to say they look like warts, tons of them almost piled on each other. but I have seen a rea bad case of ringworm in cattle before, and I fear it is that. The cows have not been anywhere, they are in a new barn (well, to cattle and the barn is only a year old). They can go in and out as they please, they eat haylage and get wormed with ivomec on a regular basis. Any ideas? It was too late in the day to take a good pic, I will tomorrow morning and post it. thanks. Oh.....the other 5 all seem fine, I looked but didnt see anything strange on them. Also, highland gets out several times a day......she goes over to my birdfeeders and eatd black oil seed. Haha. isnt she cute. :( do you think she got something from a bird?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Here is a pic of ringworm around the eye I had found. Does it look similar to this?
ringworm-on-heifer11111.jpg

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
shoot.....nope. picture the eyelid, as in the actual skin right around the eye with no hair on it. then picture little warty bumps, grey-ish. Like lumpy eyeliner. Hmmmmm.....I will post a pic in the morning. I have looked on line, and I am not seeing anything really that looks like it. My vet said (without seeing it) maybe it was blocked tear ducts...but he was taking a stab in the dark, so to speak.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don't know other than warts? Or could she have scraped the eyelid on something and it's crusty from injury?

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ok, the vet coldn't make it out, but I emailed him these pics. he said to keep an "eye on it" pun intended. Hahaha. What a sense of humer he has. LOL. A great guy and a good friend.......everyone should have a vet like that. :)
So, he said could be ringworm, could be she got it scraped on something and it is healing weird. he is leaning towrd ringworm. Oh goodie.....Ok, so what do you experts think?
good eye, as to how it should look.
101_3387.jpg

bad eye
snuffyeye3.jpg

snuffyeye.jpg

snuffyeye2.jpg

snuffyeye5.jpg

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sorry for the hay all over her face, it's hard to take a pic so close, one handed and get her to cooperate. I had to dangle horse hay above the gate, so she would stand still. :D

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The hay is no big deal. I'm not sure what it is. If it's ringworm it will get worse but, if you want to try treating for it go to the store and buy an antifugical meds. Get one in a dispenser that you will be able to control well, with it being so close to her eye.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's warts. She may have more but how would you know under all that hair!?!? Eyelid may be the only visible place you can see them.
If it's warts, I don't know what you can do about them. Are they annoying her?
For the show cows, we just used to snip them off, but no way would I touch them where they are located near the eye.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
man i must be slipping but i see what might look like a wart or 2 around the eye.but what really bothers me is she looks to have a blue spot in her eye.an to me that is pinkeye.an needs tobe treated.

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I think the blue spot in her eye is from the flash, I will check again tomorrow but she had her head pointing up, sort of at a weird angle. The wart/bump things have not changed, I thought there was a little dischard last night (goop around eye) but this morning and tonight there was nothing. I am keeping an eye on it, I cant wait for the vet to get here. And I am not one for calling the vet for every little thing, but this is just bizzare. :hu
Oh. the blue spot is visable in both eyes (see above). wouldthat still be pinkeye? and how do you treat it? thanks,

Latest posts