Eye crust? update WARTS

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ok, vet was here. They are warts (or seem to be). And funny thing is, they are bigger and more defined now. he is not sure why a 5 year old cow got them all of a sudden, unless it was the stress of calving (in november) and nusing that brought them out. He said to just keep an eye on them.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm glad you now know! It is strange that she would get that type of wart at this age but, not impossible.

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yeah, it is strange. My vet was perplexed, but then he said he has come to learn that at my house, I get all the "special, and non textbook" cases. LOL. I told him that what keeps him in business. :lol:

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
i'm glad that you found out what you have. me being new at this i'm having the same problem i see small bumps on my cows and think of warts, the only thing i never had to deal with it and think the worst. we have another 4h steer class on sat and i'm going to have a coulpe of old times look at these bumps. the last class we went to they said it didn't look like a wart. they thought is was ant bites???

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:weee got back from cttle camp. no warts, they said ants bites or maybe tick bite. i haven't seen one yet on my cows. i use a product name bronco, and as soon as i see some flys on my cows i rub them down with this stuff. even around the face i use it. of course i hope this stuff isn't bad for me. if not i guess i'll have no flies on me since i just use my hands to put it on. it is a spray, but i spray my hand and then i rub it on the cows. it gives me a chance to bond with them, and i'm not out to hurt them. oh they also had there hoofs trimmed yesterday. hope you don't have do something to that. can they get infection from that?????

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm glad it wasn't warts.

Hoof trimming isn't harmful if done properly. It even helps the animal as it corrects the way they are walking and keeps their joints and body in line. We do very little hoof trimming but, that is due to years of breeding to get the correct leg set so they naturally wear them off.

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
Bites are so much better than warts!

Hoof trimming may cause them to limp a day or two if corrective trims were done on older heifers/cows.
With our small bunch we started trimming VERY young-- sometimes the first month. That way the 4H kids could do it themselves on the small calves with soft hoofs and the growing feet would be corrected like putting corrective shoes ona child. It was wonderful for getting heifers " up on their toes" and I swear it helped the entire life of the cow. The problem was taking the time to do it!