Eye crust? update WARTS

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I think it's just from the flash, too. It just doesn't look right for pink eye but, check close tomorrow to be sure.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
talk to your vet or feed store.an see what they have to treat pinkeye.now i could be wrong.but it looks like pink eye.can she see out of both eyes.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
wynedot, I've had that happen when taking pics too so it is possible it's from the flash but, she does need to check it out in the morning to be sure.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Imissmygirls said:
I'm guessing it's warts. She may have more but how would you know under all that hair!?!? Eyelid may be the only visible place you can see them.
If it's warts, I don't know what you can do about them. Are they annoying her?
For the show cows, we just used to snip them off, but no way would I touch them where they are located near the eye.
Isn't there some kind of wart vaccine or shot you can give them?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I do believe so but, that would be a preventative.

There are things out there for warts on cattle but, I've not heard anything really good on them and being so close to the eye I'm not sure it's worth it.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Trying to go by a none working memory here, so don't take this as the whole truth!

I remember a young bull we bought a few years back that had warts.
They guy had already given it the first in a series of shots that was supposed to just make them fall off? I don't remember "us" giving any more shots, but I also don't remember him having warts, later in life!

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
yes there used tobe a shot that would get rids of the warts.i used it on a show heifer 30yrs ago or longer.

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yep, gonna keep an eye on it. She is not rubbing it or fussing in any sort of way.......she can definatly see out of both eyes, I did the finger test yesterday when I took pics.
As faras warts go, I know with horses its kind of a growth thing.....young horses get them and then they go away after a while. Not sure with cattle. I sure do appreciate all the ideas, and I will be asking my feed man if it sounds familiar to him (he was a dairy major and so are 3 of his kids). Maybe he will have an idea. I will keep you guys updated.
On a side note, I find myself torn between checking in here first or backyard chickens.....I generally rotate. LOL. What a great resource to have, this group is the best. :)

amysflock

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Alicia,

I'm thinking warts, too. Our 1st calf heifer had them around her nose (light tan), and then a really weird gray one on her cheek. Everything I read indicated warts are a calf thing that they outgrow, but I have since learned they can get warts at any time and they do go away on their own. Icky, but no big deal. If there's any sign of infection (pus, bleeding, inflamation, etc.), then you might want to have the vet out.

As for the blue spot, I think that's a Highland thing. All of mine look that way due to the camera flash when I attempt to take close-ups. :)

She looks like a brindle! Very pretty!

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We've occasionally had warts in our cattle. What we do is to take a plier and squash them. They bleed a little, and soon fall off. You don't even have to squash every one of them. Our vet said that just by squashing a few of them, it will activate an immune response, and the body will reject all of the warts. They heal up fast, and haven't left scars.