eye infection

ca

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
One of my alpacas seems to have an eye infection. Her left eye seems a little swollen and there is definitely clear discharge visible down her cheek. I don't want anybody else to get it also. What is the treatment for this? :hu

ca

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I think I figured it out. I checked her yesterday morning and found a piece of Hay stuck on the cornia. I flushed liberally with saline solution and with her moving the eye and eyelid at the same time it came out. The I add a little bid of teramycin. Seems all fine now. I'll keep giving the teramycin for a couple more days.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Good for you for figuring it out. Glad to hear your alpaca's eye is doing better. With the continuing care, I think you'll help stop any infections and help sooth the eye. Know what it's like to have something in your eye.

Sometimes when I have an animal that's hurt, I want to rush and get them better. I make myself calm down, and what I learned by reading or listening to others usually comes to mind and the "light bulb" moment happens and you figure it out..

It feels good, doesn't it. I know I do. And you got the experience stored if it should happen again. :)

ca

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Now I can rest really easy. I can improvise but there is always the issue of using the right medication. You confirmed that Alpacas are not allergic to Terramycin :D. Lucky me it was my most tame Alpaca and although she was not really hip about me putting stuff into her eye sha also was not too freaked out about it.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I always keep terramycin on hand. it is amazing how a piece of hay can really give them a gunky eye.

Latest posts