Eye injury, cataracts, corneal ulcers, blindness in horses??

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
You can also buy a blinker hood, sold as training equipment for driving horses. It has a plastic thing that is like a quarter of a sphere that keeps the horse from seeing the cart he is pulling and spooking. They also work great to protect an eye. You can remove the plastic sphere thing from the other side of the hood. It is something to consider if the fly mask isn't enough protection. They are also made with a complete half-sphere that completely covers the eye.

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The challenge with fly masks is they can let in fine particles, and even some hay dust. When this happens the horse rubs their eye on their leg to clean the eye, making things worse, because the junk that is under the mask has no where to go. My horse scratched his lens from a fly mask, I no longer use them for this reason.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
michel-laws said:
Where can i buy it online
You can buy just about anything from www.horseloverz.com. I love that site and they have great prices and sales too!

My mares eye flared up again this year. I figured out what was causing it. It wasn't an injury at all. Since she's blind in that eye, I noticed that she wasn't blinking or chasing the flies away from that eye. She allowed the flies to congregate around that eye in particular and didn't seem bothered by them.

I started putting Swat around her eyes, and that cured the problem! I didn't use fly masks at all this season. Just fly predators and swat and we've had no eye problems and no fly problems!

w c

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have an 'eye guy' here and he just retired. Now we will need to find someone else to vet for eye issues.

Latest posts