Eye laceration - need advice

Bleenie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
One of my mini girls managed to injure her eye while I was away for the weekend. I discovered it shortly after getting home and inspected it and called the vet immediately. He prescribed some eye drops(genatamycin) for her and said they usually take a while to heal.

What I am wondering is if anyone else had dealt with this before and how you went about treating it? I've dealt with(and healed)calves with badly ulcered eyes but not ever an eyeball scrape. Is nfz puffer safe to use for this? She HATES getting the drops everyday and I know it must hurt when I have to do it... It's a small bottle of liquid so I have to get it in between the eyelids at least. Her eye is super watery still but the swelling seemed to go down a tad from when I found it on Sunday.

Thanks for any help.
(Sorry I don't have a pic if the eye)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 296

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry about your mini's eye, I hope it heals up soon.

One of my ponies has injured her eye a couple times, the vet gives me ointment to apply a couple times a day. I don't know anything about nfz, I'd ask your vet about that.

I also put a fly mask on her till it healed - even if there aren't any flies, it helps shade her eyes from the sun, and made her less likely to scratch and re-injure it.

Did the vet see her, or just prescribe something? If it doesn't improve I'd have him out, or take her in - eye injuries scare me...