False Pregnancy? How?

UnlabeledMama

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Question. I have a doe who is not quite 6 months. We were planning on breeding her for the first time next month. This morning I found her with a haystache running around her cage. When we fed this evening she was even pulling fur! I have had her since she was 6 weeks old (with her parents and the rest of her litter). She has not been with a buck since her and her brothers were separated at 10 weeks and she is not even housed near a buck. She's never gotten out of her cage. What would trigger a false pregnancy? And how soon should I try to breed her?

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Does pull fur in response to hormonal signals; pregnancy isn't the only thing that causes a rabbit's hormones to fluctuate. I have seen dozens of does that couldn't possibly be bred pull fur when at the peak of their hormonal cycle.

While fur pulling is a common indicator of a doe that "wants to be bred," I don't know that I've ever seen a doe that hadn't ever been mounted (by either gender) do the haystache trick, though. :hu

UnlabeledMama

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
She is shoving a LOT in her mouth too! But I know she has never been around a buck, she's never even been around another rabbit!

At least I know when she is bred she'll make a beautiful nest!

Latest posts