False pregnancy????

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ok. I'm taking a break from breeding this year. The boys got out in early fall and I had to lute all the does.
This may have happened twice. :rolleyes: Fast forward to now. Holly is developing an udder. Its soft. She does not look pregnant. So I was thinking maybe precocious udder. I sent blood to biotracking and got a positive preg result with a disclaimer that her OD value was low. They said it could be <30 days bred or maybe normal for her. I don't think this would be the case.

Any ideas?? Can I start milking her or would that be asking for trouble???

:idunno

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She is eating and acting normal. I'm sure we could do an ultrasound, but I wanted to hear if anyone else had any experience with this.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
:hide:hu No personal experience with this particular issue. You could always milk her and save the first few days (colostrum) in case she really is pregnant. That way you'd have it for the/any kid(s). If it is a precocious udder, then why not take advantage of the milk? If she's actually pregnant, then she'll already be in great form when the kids arrive. Just MHO... Others here have far more experience...

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That's what I was wondering, but I did not want to take a chance on her getting mastitis. I would be surprised if she's pregnant. I keep a pretty tight ship. This year was the first time the boys got out.
I'd love to have some milk for a little while without the work of kids.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Just a thought... if she does indeed have a precocious udder, I wonder if that could affect hormonal balances to give the weak positive test result?

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure. I called the vet to see what they recommended and the only thing they said was repeat the test.