FAMANCHA scores

Judy-Ron

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I try to check our kids famancha scores at least once a week to ten days.. That way I can keep up on their over all health and adjust their nutrition or medication accordingly. I also like to give them Red Cell at least once a week to ensure that they are getting vitamins and minerals. They do have free choice loose minerals but I don't ever know who's eating what so this is the way I can at least know that they are getting what they need. I'm sure a lot of you will think this is over kill... But I want to be sure they are getting everything I can give them.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was taught how to run fecal tests and have done that usually monthly, sometimes every 2 months. You just have a few goats, so you might take a fecal sample to your vet every 3-4 months, just to get a better picture of parasites. They bloom in early spring and before/after giving birth and for the kids, at weaning.

Judy-Ron

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Our vet is great, and we do take samples in for them every two months. But when we bring a new goat into the fold I always have a physical check and a fecal check on them. When Buttons comes home we will make an appointment to see the vet as soon as possible. Fawn and Rascal came home on October 18 and by Nov 20 Fawn went down with barber poll worms and almost died. Our vet told us that he had the worms all of his young life and that we bought the worms with the goat....We are very diligent about making sure fecals are done routinely. The funny thing is Rascal had none... and they came from the same breeder but we don't know if they are from the same mother.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I should have known that you were on top of that! Y’all are good goat parents!

Latest posts