Farm dog vs LGD?

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
There is an unlimited number of dog breeds that will work great. I would stay away from herding breeds. I like terriers alot of people think they can't be trusted with livestock mine tolerate the animals. I would lock the Airedale in my coop all night and I would sleep like a baby. Also had a great Dane that was good with that animals. Alot of shelter dogs make great farm dog. I would go for a dog 70 lbs or so. One thing keep one dog penned or tied up two dogs don't listen as good as one.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Many of us have dogs we refer to as "farmdogs" however there is a big difference between LGD, REAL Farmdogs, and the family pet that is really a housedog but does great on the farm.
The latter is not a true farmdog.

A true farmdog is a dog that lives outside and patrols, protects, "supervises" if you will the daily goings on of the farm. They do NOT live inside.
IMO many of the best farmdogs are LGD's that didn't quite cut it as LGD's or were TOOOO needy of human attention and did not do well full time with livestock.
Farmdogs are or should be social and love the family etc but not be needy and not want to be in your house on the couch.... they are more or less bonded to their territory and are quite happy with seeing their humans but not needy.

I recently evaluated (preliminary evaluation) of a litter. One of my dogs that was purchased is actually the sire to this litter. There are seven pups. There is 1 pup in particular that IMO should only be placed in a farmdog setting- NOT as a LGD. This little girl is smart, intuitive. Passed noise test, sudden movement, stranger approach and a variety of other things I do with 10-12 week old pups. However, she really is very very social with the human family.... of course all the pups are social but there are certain traits that this dog shows that tell me "farmdog" environment is best. The owner of the litter considered keeping her as the farmdog but her current farmdog is young and does not need replaced.

I have been called to many farms that are utilizing LGD breeds that failed the true LGD job but are now successful farmdogs.

Not any dog will do and that is it in a nutshell. A true farmdog does live outside wants to be outside does have a job but is also the dog that would sleep on the porch while watching over the property.
Housedogs that do great on the farm or with livestock still want to be housedogs and come in at night and typically are more there for their human not the property.
Size is important especially if there are predators. Many farmdogs will bark or try to chase off a predator but typically cannot take on a coyote and they don't necessarily try like a LGD will.
Coons, oppossum, small predators can easily be handled by a farmdog.

My neighbors Rottweiler could not prevent coyotes from taking not just one dog but two small dogs right off their porch ( two different events).

LMK17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Many of us have dogs we refer to as "farmdogs" however there is a big difference between LGD, REAL Farmdogs, and the family pet that is really a housedog but does great on the farm.
The latter is not a true farmdog.

A true farmdog is a dog that lives outside and patrols, protects, "supervises" if you will the daily goings on of the farm. They do NOT live inside.
IMO many of the best farmdogs are LGD's that didn't quite cut it as LGD's or were TOOOO needy of human attention and did not do well full time with livestock.
Farmdogs are or should be social and love the family etc but not be needy and not want to be in your house on the couch.... they are more or less bonded to their territory and are quite happy with seeing their humans but not needy.
Not any dog will do and that is it in a nutshell. A true farmdog does live outside wants to be outside does have a job but is also the dog that would sleep on the porch while watching over the property.
Housedogs that do great on the farm or with livestock still want to be housedogs and come in at night and typically are more there for their human not the property.
Size is important especially if there are predators. Many farmdogs will bark or try to chase off a predator but typically cannot take on a coyote and they don't necessarily try like a LGD will.
Coons, oppossum, small predators can easily be handled by a farmdog.

Thanks for the insight, and yes, I had the different categories of dogs straight. My chow mix is strictly a house dog-- she'll be allowed out on the farm, but she comes in at night. She's a good watchdog in the house but won't be expected to do anything about problems outside.

The dogs I want to get will have nice beds made up in the barn or other suitable shelter. I want them to be friendly and playful with the family, but they'll be outside dogs who will only be in the house on occasion, if ever. I want them outside where they can monitor what's going on around the property, especially as night.

And if I ever come into a time where my livestock is being threatened by predators, then I'll consider a livestock guardian. At this point, I'm thinking an ass will suit me best.

Thanks again for the tips.

Last edited:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The first thing you need is good fencing. It can keep predators out and you need it to keep dogs in.

centrarchid

Just born
Reaction score
I have working farm dogs in the form of English Shepherd, German Pointer and a large cross with a molosser of some sort. Dogs function primarily as guardians although can switch into hunting mode. Previous male German Pointer assessed with night time work by locating birds on the ground. The English Shepherd is displaying some herding inclination although that is not being promoted. Most time spent away from poultry area although they have very rapid response when poultry produce alarm calls. We decidedly dominate Coyotes. Red Fox is only critter that tries to come in and a couple of those have been killed by dogs. We are also hard on dogs not ours.

I am in the long term training camp rather than bloodlines only.