Resource icon

farm dogs for someone with goats and chickens

EmilyVioletElithabeth

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
EmilyVioletElithabeth submitted a new resource:

farm dogs for someone with goats and chickens - farm dogs

I wanted to know what kinds of dog people have had in their life and what dogs you would get again and dog you would never get EVER again.

I’ve had a Garmin shepherd/Australian shepherd on my farm for 8 years now and she in the best one so far. I have not lost any animals with her on the farm! :)

The worst one was a golden retriever. It was grate with my kids but foxes would walk into the yard in broad day light with the dog sleeping on the steps going into ware house. I'd run out to...

Read more about this resource...

heckerdy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I can only speak from my perspective but i have had all kinds of dogs in my life rescued many many and now I only rescue one pit bull at a time and have a limit of two and pretty much love all terriers but not all terriers are good with livestock .. ..so far knock wood I have never had an issue with a pit bull and my other animals ..my pit can be eating a piece of chicken with a chicken walking on his nose trying to get a bite and not even blink . All three have been like this ..we have ducks and chickens everywhere and three pits since we had the poultry …and all three would have given their lives for anyone inside the perimeter never once attacked anything but very defensive dogs and never cared about the birds at all ..we have parrots as well and not even a glance they only care about the food they leave behind

they are very clean dogs, they can herd ours will herd the chickens in at night and they pull heavy stuff for you ..and they will sit looking at you lovingly for hours if that does not bother you ..I hate constantly needy worried faces of these dogs but love them so much… I have found them easy to train and wonderful mousers! but wow they NEVER forget a THING it is so easy to train but to train something out of them is another story…and as good as my dog is he recently found out my neighbor has a snack bowl and open door and just goes in helps himself and then has a little nap on her rug ..and he will not forget and has pulled a gate now to get to her house into that stack bowl and for his little nap..it is her turn and really now she has to lock her door.

that is the downside of these dogs if they figure out where something "better" is they will sell you out !!! LOL! and "training things out" is tough so if they come with a bad habit you can change it but you in for a struggle and they will try all kinds of ways to get what they want

otherwise they are truly awesome about other animals (well I have heard and known some who were not so good but that is why I adopt from a good rescue who has the dogs with astute fosters I can say "I want one who gets along with chickens and that is who i will be introduced to most good rescues do that with any breeds "

a lab was in my yard five seconds and killed a chicken one day but that is their job so I did not blame him at all he was very proud and brought it back to daddy who was mortified it happened so fast we just did not expect this old lab to pick up such speed!

so there you go that is all I know about dogs and chickens hope it helps !

WinterFiber

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
EmilyVioletElithabeth submitted a new resource:

farm dogs for someone with goats and chickens - farm dogs

Read morInabout this resource...
After a lot of research, I found some Great Pyrenees/Marema pups to watch over my goats. I totally love them! They are starting to show their age at around 8 years old, and I am looking for pups for them to train, and to be out with my goats. They keep an eye out for a mile radius around my farm. They let me know what is happening that far away, or when the big winds or storm is about 15 minutes from my farm. Very happy with them.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lots of corn, I think almost all of it has come up now. @thistlebloom my oldest non stop talks about the day we get to harvest she is very excited. Lol thank you again.

Attachments

• 20200423_201305.jpg
    20200423_201305.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 135

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
To protect our chickens and goats, we have Gracie, great pyrenees/Anatolian shepherd/kangal mix and she’s amazing. We also have a pure bred Great Pyrenees, Fitz, and he is really growing into his job. Gracie is an amazing teacher. Before purchasing any lgd, I make sure that they have been around chickens and goats from day 1. We are relatively new to farm life, 2.5 years, but that has been a successful strategy.