Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gee Whiz, it is raining here for a change:hit:hit:th:hide:hide :idunno. Ya think we have had enough yet?

"Local" station about 50 miles north; the next closest is about 50 miles south, both in the Shen Valley so pretty accurate for us here in the middle; anyway, they say our year to date normal is about 32-33 inches. Total YTD normal in any year is around 36" total, which is about 3" a month give or take, more in the spring, less in the summer....
We have had about 53 inches so far this year. Raining now, quite steady/hard with 1-2" expected. At this rate we will be closing in on nearly twice the normal rainfall for the year. Have never had this much in the 37 years I have lived here. That is not taking into account horrific disasters like Hurricane Camille, before I moved here, that dumped like 24 inches in 24 hours and caused devastating flooding and loss of life and whole towns etc where they just washed away.

We did get all the hay up that was on the ground since Sunday, took longer to get dry with several passes tedding and all, due to cloudy overcast days that were supposed to be all sun all week; nearly 300 square bales and the rest rolled and my son rolled over 30 rolls for a neighbor whose tractor alternator went out and couldn't get another til next Tues. There was hay down everywhere this past week due to the "supposedly nice sunny weather we were gonna have. I got the clothes off the line at 9:30 last night after getting home from testing cows and the 14 or so square bales on the truck covered last night too. It is raining quite hard, and 37*. Just miserable weather.:he:he:he:hit:hit

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey everyone..... just a short update. Had check up in NC for ankle. Got 26 stitches out and can get the ankle wet in about 2 days as soon as the pinholes from the stitches seal over..... YAY SHOWER....!!!!!!!
X-rays show replacement joint looks perfect, Still in walking boot for another 4 weeks. I can put 100 lbs weight on it for a week ( I was @ 25 then 50 then 75) then full weight.... both with crutches. Then full weight without crutches if I feel okay or use one crutch, but can graduate as I feel like I can manage it, with the boot on. Want to make sure the plate they put alongside the tibia(?) next to the ankle joint is well healed and joined, but the x-rays for the actual ankle joint look A-1..... I can move it around normal movement, not to make it bend or anything but whatever it will do on it's own when the boot is off. Still need to keep it up when I am sitting and stuff to keep the swelling down and not make it ache. But although the incisions look ugly, they are very pleased with it.

So being a "good girl" and doing exactly what they said I could and not pushing it has paid off so far. Just to get a real shower .... I am allowed to put weight on it like in the shower.... CAREFULLY...... as I feel it can take it but not walk around on it until it gets a little stronger. Go back in 4 weeks......

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
OKAY, I have been on here a little bit trying to catch up so I could spend some time here on my journal, and now the COTTON PICKIN internet light is flashing so don't know what/if I will be able to post...

YES, IT IS DONE, RECORDED AT THE COURT HOUSE AND MINE !!!!!!!! THANK YOU to everyone for the prayers. I will see about pictures, but won't be able to load anything until I figure out how..... oh yeah, I need a digital camera.... my phone is an ANCIENT FLIP PHONE......

But the 200 million papers says it is mine, with the bank holding the lien (in the form of the mortgage) !!!!!!.

Poured down rain this morning while at the lawyers..... then got some partly sunny weather with high humidity and temps went to 91 again....

Oh, the light is blinking red for the internet, I am going to try to send this. Maybe will be able to write more.....later or tomorrow as every time it rains it goes out....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, it is a cool wet evening. About 55 degrees from a high of only 60. We got some rain/showers today. Not as much as they said, ours was more misty sprinkles kind but it was starting to actually lightly rain when I left to go up and catch up the meat birds.
I had stopped earlier and put feed in feeders in the 5x10 pen, as they were about empty, (I had planned that) and they all went in for the feed so I shut the gate. I have been leaving them out loose. Put a waterer in there and some shavings so they wouldn't be dirty. Went up about 3:45, carried them 2 at a time to the crates on the back of the truck. :th Got good and wet but got them all loaded by about 4:45. My son came by with his 2 birds, offered to help but I had just loaded the last 4 . Took the 2 big cooler chests too, and they will put them in the coolers, in their big walk in cooler after they are done. I said to put the 14 smallest in vacuum bags and the rest 16 or so, just in the cooler and I will part them out at home.So they are gone.:yesss::celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:yesss:

Of course, the farmer texted with the broiler houses, and said the "birds" go out in the morning, at 3:30 a.m..... So I texted him back and said to let me know approx. how many there are left behind. If there aren't very many I may just not bother. I can go get them within 24 hours. But then I get to thinking that they would be good added feed for the cats.... Well we will see. If there aren't too many I won't make a special trip.

The farmer where I took the chickens said they got nearly 2 inches of rain, :eek: but we haven't had that much. Maybe a couple tenths???:idunno. Now it looks like it is passing out of the area and we won't get much, if any more; temps look to be in the 70's days and all sun again. :hit We really need an all day/night slow rain of 2 inches or so..

Not much else... I just made a bowl of soup because I was cold and damp. I did take an extra shirt and sweatshirt with me so that I could change out of the wet stuff. But you know how that dampness gets so I wanted a bowl of soup. Am going to get a good HOT shower and go burrow under a blanket and maybe read a book for awhile...:hide

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, it's been a busy couple of days. Each night has gotten a little colder, 41, 40, 39, 36.... last night. Some places got down to 30 and even heard one at 27.:ep Frost around but we haven't had any here. It is going to be warmer tonight, we are due to get the remnants of that trop storm Nestor, coming in tonight after midnight ans lasting through mid day Sunday. @Mini Horses will probably be getting alot more due to the proximity to the coast and the storm heading east. We will be on the fringes more, but there is some forecasts saying up to 2 inches. Another inch or so would be welcome.:fl

Hauled the heifers in for the neighbor yesterday. 7 heifers and one cow he was culling. My son had taken 11 steers in early. I didn't get to the sale so don't know what prices were like, want to stop by there on Monday and see in general how things were looking. Don't foresee any great improvement in prices. The weights were a little lighter than his normally are too, 3 weighed only 350 ea and 4 weighed right at 510 ea. The steers were more like 450 and 550/600. I hope they did decent but I don't think they were all that great. Prices the last 2 weeks I have been told were in the $.90 to $1.15 range for heifers, and the $1.15 to $1.40 for steers. At 500 lbs @ 1.15 , a heifer will bring $575, which is about what it costs to feed the cow for the year.... that means break even with nothing in your pocket. A 500 lb steer @ 1.40 is only $700 which is $125-150 over the cost to keep the cow for the year.... it definitely is not a very good fall for paying any bills. :(:(:hit:hitAnd don't forget, he pays us to work the calves in the spring, and there are 4 of us that get them in, give shots, band, etc., for about 2 hours, and then pays us to haul them to the sale.... Plus we make his hay for him and we get paid for that. He's probably in his late 60's early 70's and just is not able to do it. :idunno Plus it would never pay him to have all the equipment needed to make the hay when he only makes one cutting then grazes the place. Alot of his cattle check will go to us this year, for our time, labor, equipment and fuel for haying costs... They are not "cheapskates" or anything, and never quibble over the costs because we do our best to accommodate them when they want to do stuff; and our costs have certainly not gotten any cheaper.... it is just facts of life. This is the sort of thing that makes older farmers decide to give it up because they can't do for themselves and have to pay others to do it. As for our own, we just never "pay ourselves" a wage....our labor is free :th:th:he:he.

Moved a group home from pasture this morning, they need to be pregnancy checked. The grass was gone there, it is a pasture we can't do any rotating due to lack of fences. This is the lady that is 96 years old. God bless her. :bow. If I live that long I hope I am half as sharp mentally as she is. Arthritis in her knees is killing her and she can't get out in her garden anymore, but she is still "keeping on, keeping on". Told me to NEVER give up.... Everyone else is still okay, and we rotated some in a couple of other places and with this little bits of rain, it ought to put some life back into the grass so it isn't so "crispy".

Then I went to work to test a 70 cow herd this afternoon. Got home about 8:30 and made sure the tarp was on the tractor for the rain we are supposed to get.
I'm ready to hit the shower and bed. May get a little extra "time off" in the morning if it is raining. I need to go check one of the cows we just brought home though, she is making an udder and was supposede to be open when she went out there with the bull. One of the other ones wound up having a calf about a month ago, so was very short bred when we checked them. I am wondering if this one was also short bred, of if she was bred, lost the calf; not a good scenario. I will palpate her tomorrow before we move these guys to a temp field, because if she has a big (close to calving size) calf in her, she will go up to where the nurse cows are. She is guernsey/holstein, and will get a second calf at least. So I need to determine her status.

I think a cup of hot cocoa with a little amaretto ;) is in the next half hour plans and then sleep like a baby.... it takes the edge off the knee and ankle aches, and I can fall asleep with no problem.... I'm not a wine drinker, so that is my indulgence. :yesss:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Funny, it is probably just in my mind, but it feels better already this morning. Maybe because there is not "bandage" around it. It is more flexible, and I am not trying to make it move, but it just seems to be more moveable. I will not take off the little sterile pads they put on the incisions where they took out the stitches until tomorrow, that way I am not pushing the taking the shower tonight. But I can sit here and see and feel it move like you normally would just move the ankle. It is still quite swollen as the tissues start to "calm down" and all. But moving it is also good for that too she said. There are alot of scabs that will come off and they said it might take them a month for the ones in the "crease" of the ankle where the foot attaches,
Going to call the PCP, update the results of the visit yesterday, and see if they want me to come in for anything. They did say yesterday that after the next post op appt all according to how it is doing, that I may need little or no PT. Guess it depends on how much movement I have..... WOW......

I will say this has not been near the "difficult experience" that I was expecting when I was anticipating the surgery. Yes I wanted the surgery so I could maybe get back to a normal walking ability, and the "being tied down" with not being able to get up and do for myself, and those first few days in the Rehab......was trying....... but as far as pain and all it just hasn't been any big deal. The numb/tingley is weird..... not "painful". The cast was aggravating, but I knew it was going to "go away" so liveable.... But the "girl" that was taking out the stitches, and yes, a couple felt like a little sting for a second, that made me go "OUCH" , and suck in my breath for a second, then was over; did say that people react to "pain" differently, and that much of what I was feeling, many would call pain. I said I just kept expecting to feel some real sharp pains, really expecting some intensity, and she said that obviously I have a different ability for my body to determine pain and to "categorize" it as simply an "inconvenience type" pain as opposed to "PAIN"..... She apologized for the stings as she took out those couple of stitches, and I said it wasn't that big of a deal, just caught me for a second. She said I did great, and I am thinking okay, that wasn't any real big deal. Hurt less than a bee sting and didn't last more than a second. Maybe people do really consider that "pain"......

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It was 54 this morning, looks like we had a few little showers last night but not much. Partly sunny this morning and the wind is getting up again. That wind is really drying it out. Maybe supposed to get some more "rain" this evening.....we could use it.

Oh one other thing, I talked to her about the driving and all, she said that I could try using the clutch on the truck, without the boot, if it didn't hurt to push it down. My little truck has a pretty easy clutch, not stiff like some of the bigger trucks. I can't walk without the boot yet, but to drive that I could try it. Shouldn't be anything like 100 lbs weight on the foot/ankle, since I can use it carefully in the shower, for weight and balance standing, and with the weight adjustments going up for walking with the boot, So it will be a pain to have to take off the boot then put it back on before I get out to walk, but I can safely drive the truck if I can use the clutch normally. I was supposed to have the car back long before now, but the whole "engine saga" got in the way. I still want it back, the heads are at the shop now getting redone, but I can drive myself in the truck now like to go to the store....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello to all "QUARANTINED" ....... UGH ..... It just gets crazier. I was unable to stream the latest live broadcast of our esrtwhile govenor. But now we are strongly encouraged to follow the national suggestions of no more than 10 people in a gathering. Thank goodness we sold a couple more yesterday. But not near what we needed to ship. It stands to be seen what things will do to our livestock markets the rest of the week, but it is nearly assured that the sale next week will not take place. My son and I will have to talk today now about what we are going to do. Silage will be fed out within 2 weeks. We can up the amount of grain a little bit to mitigate the effect on the weight loss and change over to more hay, but we will also be running out of hay before we hit good grazing.
I don't know..........
The sun is coming out temps up to 55 and supposed to go higher. By Friday we are supposed to be up to the low 70's.....

My peach tree's blossoms are starting to open. I am really worried because the weather is supposed to drop over the weekend with some possible snow flurries. Temps on Saturday night are supposed to get down into the upper 20's. If it does it will kill the blossoms and freeze the fruit buds. But again, you can't do much about it. I mean, it is only the middle of March, we should not even be having this weather in Mid April as our last frost date here is usually MAY 10th... so we are nearly 2 months ahead of where we would normally be. I may try covering the trees with a few tarps I have here if it does seem to get that low. It is not life and death to save the peach crop but I hate to lose it since last year it was just starting to get productive.

Want to talk to my son about where we are at and what we are going to need, and then going to call the feed store where we get all our feed and see what they are saying as far as feed deliveries. We get most of it in bulk, but I haven't filled the chicken feed bin after the last of the meat birds left last year. Wanted my son to get up on top and take a chain and beat around on the inside and clean off any clumps and stuff. Had a water leak and there was some that got moldy and stuck to the sides. So wanted to get it cleaned out good then get another delivery this spring. I am only feeding a few here at the house and still have enough for a couple of weeks although I will get another couple of bags if I go into town. They will also drop off a couple of bags with any bulk feed delivery if I ask, then I only have to go up to the farm to get it. I am keeping it here in a couple of 5 gal buckets with lids, close to the chickens, so I don't have to carry it. But I will hopefully be off the crutches in another week so at least making easier to carry water to them.

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
About the cortisone.... the PA said if I got real good results that I could have it several times since replacements are the end goal anyway. She said if I got 6 months out of them, then I might expect to get about 4-6 months out of shots again and could have several courses if I continued to have success. That is why I was thinking that if they did that exceptional, that maybe it would be better for putting it off for a year.... get this ankle working real good, get all I want done in the house, get the nurse cow situations all the way I want.... and if more active, lose some weight which will make the outcome better too..... It is just something that I have given a little thought to. Not going to get too excited about it until I see what all my level of relief is. I have 4 ... no make that 6 dairy animals coming fresh this fall.... that's alot to get situated with calves. Don't know how far along any are except the one I bred AI.... they could all be due the same time if they came in heat and the bull got them.... or they could be spaced out a bit :fl wishful thinking) ; but I am sure my luck isn't that good..... If I have some that are way behind, like not until Dec or something, my son is no good at dealing with the nurse cows, other than to let them in..... so I cannot have him trying to get calves started on the cows.
No sense in worrying about it until I get them preg checked, see approx how far along they are, and how I respond to the shots after they have a little time to work.

Speaking of which, today was tough only because it was a 2 hr drive, inactive so getting stiff sitting; then 4 1/2 hours in the parlor which is very little sitting in this one.... so I was getting pretty tired and sore, then another 2 hr drive home. Ready for a shower and bed. 190 cows through the barn.... will pack the samples in the morning. Plus it hit in the low 90's so was pretty hot in the parlor late this afternoon. I'm whipped.....

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a hay story for you Jan!
Nearly 40 years ago we lived in So Cal, kind of out in the boonies. We were friends with an elderly couple who raised a few Herefords and grew oat hay on their farm. Occasionally we would get to farm sit for them which was a blast. They had a giant 100 year old barn and I got to drive their old Dodge truck (with a starter button on the floor) to take feed out to the cows.
Anyway, I got a call from them one morning asking if I could come help. They were baling the hay and it was so dry that the bales were busting and not holding together to get through the baler. They wanted me to go ahead of the baler and spray water on the rows with a backpack sprayer. That seemed to work.
Betty was driving the truck to fill the water tank so I could refill the sprayer. For some reason I don't remember, she needed me to ride with her back to refill the big tank. She must have been around 80 at the time, and didn't see too well...
We were heading through the field and now and then she would run into some of the bales. One in particular she hit and it burst up and rained hay down on the windsheild. "Oh my! Did I hit a bale?' Poor Roy was probably not too happy witnessing his hay go to smithereens. Good times :) life was simpler.