Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay, took samples to UPS, went to the house and met the owners. They had sent me a copy of the sales contract so I had read it over already. It was pretty standard, we made a couple of notations, and I signed it. He was going to take it and my $500 good faith down payment, to the mtg lady today. I went to the PT appt. Then I left and went looking at some buildings. There were 3 different places, 3 different mfgs.... and of course things I liked at each one. Still have another one I want to go look at.
But a couple of things. I want a metal roof even though the one place is much more pushing shingles. The one with the shingles includes alot more stuff though as standard.... the one allows the metal roof or the shingles for the same price, the other charges more for the metal roof....One has the added option of putting a "siding' on, so it looks like the aluminum siding on the house,(clapboard looking) , and it will make it a thicker wall and can be stained or painted.... one has a "heat barrier" that can be put on the inside.....
I am looking at the gambrel roofed type "barn" which will make it higher and I can have a "loft " in it to store some extra stuff.
One has 6' OR 8' walls, the other 2 have 6' or 7' walls (high) to the plate where the roof sits on. The gambrel roof allows more height and storage above. Either height can have the "loft' in it. There are options of windows ,windows in the doors, placement of where the doors go, all that sort of stuff. I do not want the garage door in the end. Costs about 500 more too. The one that was pushing the shingles will do the electrical.... 4 outlets and 1 switch with a light. The one does not do the electrical and the other can do it as an extra. One has several different options for the type of flooring. All are free delivery and set up .... 50 miles, 35, miles and 25 miles. One I think is more willing to do more with the set up......from the brochure info.
All are in the 4-5,000 range.... one has a 50 yr warranty on the siding and is rated.... something.... so if it is "tied down" will withstand wind and snow loads up to a certain amount. I need to list them side by side to do a better comparison.
I am leaning towards the one that the siding can be put on.... for thickness and strength.... and the T1-11 siding does not last forever.... Had one and it started to come apart.
That is what I was thinking so not surprised. I do want windows and probably would get the windows in the top part of the door too, for extra light.
Debating on 12 x 16 or maybe bigger. I will not want to use it for the mower as there is a smaller shed/garage type building there that has a concrete floor.... needs new doors on it but the roof doesn't leak. Good for all that sort of stuff. I know that no matter how big it is there will always be something more I will want to stick in it and will wish it was bigger.
I plan on heating it some in the winter, better for the freezers to run, if it is not below zero in the building. Maybe use it for my milk samples and not have all that in the house anymore. Maybe use it to work on stuff in the cold weather, like a workshop. Lots of different things to consider, since there is no enclosed porch the length of the house like here where I am. Maybe keep an extra fridge there for stuff too and not in the mud room....Then I would have more room in the house for maybe another cabinet. I don't know.
The thing about it is that it can go with me if I ever move again, since it sits on "runners" ....
Just in the looking stage.... but I will have to get it set up and get the first freezer moved and then start transferring the food to it so I can empty another and get it moved that way. Or maybe get 2 empty, fill all the freezer chests, and then move those 2 and then get all the food moved up there , empty the other 2 and then move both of them and that way I can get everything sorted and boxed and repacked and put back into them and be able to find things better. Will need one empty for the beef that will go in .... but not until like Feb due to the wait list. There will be more chicken too over the course of this year.
I wish it had more of an overhang on the roof though. Does not have much at all. Although the metal roof seems to stick out further than the shingle roof. Would like to have a gutter to divert the water into a collector of sorts....
Can finance them, one has 90 days same as cash.....I would either pay up front or do that. The one will finance and if you pay off early get any discounts for the amount of time it was paid off early. Like a no-prepayment deal.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It was a chilly wet day today. Rained most all day, light then heavier... but pretty steady from noon on. Started at 59, thermometer says it got up to 72 but I think it is lying....it was a VERY CHILLY 72 that's for sure. I wore a long sleeved shirt and a sweatshirt all day and wasn't any too hot.
The guys that were putting in the road moved my chicken pen for me yesterday. I had stopped to talk to them, and they said they could probably do it ... just walk them across.... I said that would be great but that I knew they were busy and I would get it moved before the first of the week as they figured they were going to get rained out.... which they did. I noticed last night on my way up to let the cow out after testing that the pen was moved. Really nice of them. Another reason to give them all a chicken each to take home and roast. Tomorrow it is supposed to be mostly cloudy in the morning with more chance of some showers/storms in the afternoon. So I will haul a couple buckets water up there and a couple buckets feed tomorrow, and get everything all neatly lined up out of the way. They did get a load... or maybe more, of gravel in the entrance and about 100 feet in.....got one of the trucks parked in there; Since the weather is supposed to be pretty iffy the next 2-3 days, I imagine they ought to be back on Monday and get going more on it.

I also want to stop at 2 different places and look at the outdoor furnaces and see what those prices are. Might be able to find a few bargains since so many were not working through all this stuff the last couple of months.
The one guy at the one storage building place said that it has been crazy this spring, but that by mid-summer it usually slows down alot. Might help the price a little.... but mostly on sheds/buildings that are on the lot, I would think.

I see alot of cars for sale in peoples' yards in the last couple of weeks. Maybe they are feeling the pinch, maybe some are just deciding to "clean out" and get rid of stuff they don't need.

Still got to make a decision on the tub.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would give high consideration to the one that comes as close to "perfect" for your intentions....ya can always make some changes or "improvements" after the fact.....pick what is easier for you to do or get done.....such as....if it has shingled roof and ya prefer metal, ya can put metal on top of shingles and extend it to your liking.....if electrical is easier, then ya can add it when ya get it situated....having a loft sounds really good and beneficial.... :) ....it sure sounds like ya had a really productive day....and it is soo Good to hear ya discussing the "decisions" of getting your things out of the "he// hole".....:thumbsup

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have talked to a guy who builds on site.... the thing is it will need to be more than a shed.... because of wanting it to stay above freezing in the winter. Plus wanting to keep out the dampness.... so would have to have a finished floor....even if it was concrete.... He is talking at least 4,000.... and the one thing is is it would be "permanent"..... Still have a couple more places to go look. Just saw one place I completely forgot about, today, so will have to go check that out the first of the week. Builders/carpenters are busy here even with all the virus stuff.... and they don't work cheap in this area. I think that some of our "trades" make more money here than some other places.... maybe there are fewer to work?
Need to spend a little more "time" on the jaccuzzi type tub; get more in depth specs from places. That is going to be as important or more so right off the bat. Make the decision what I am going to do for that. I have been told that they are all self draining now; must have been a design flaw that they got complaints about and fixed it. One person said that the "Jaccuzzi " brand one that they had was problem free and they loved it.... and miss it terrible since they moved.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Might be late on this but young living has a essential oil that helps. It's called panaway my husband uses it for his knees (torn acl) and my mother was using it for her wrist and dad's back (they ran out) it's expeinsive but it works you only need a small amount and some oil or you could use it full strength which ever works for you.