Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you @Jesusfreak101 , I will order it and try it. I have tried most everything that has been suggested over the years.

The PT guy today said that my ankle is doing good, even a little ahead of where he thought it might be considering how long I was in the boot due to the virus shutdown of services like the X-rays needed before the dr. would allow me to do stuff and get out of the boot. Said that it isn't 100% may never reach the same dexterity that the "real one" on the right has, but that it is pretty darn good. And the knees and pain, are actually hindering some of my progress because I can't comfortably come down "harder" on them with some of the steps and walking and such. So maybe the oil will help.
Also, I am not a believer in steroids, like cortisone, that so many get in the joints as it will wear away the cartilage. It is damaging if used much.... but as the one PT guy said, since they are so bad, and I am going to have them replaced, it isn't that same concern about damaging the cartilage because what little might be left will be removed with the knee joint, to put in the replacement. He said it might be worth my while to see if I could get the injection for the pain and see if it helps at this point. It's an idea. I have had the "synvisc" .... synovial fluid that that they inject into the joint...."hylauronic acid" type stuff; like "greasing the joint" with the same type fluid that your body produces.... and got very little relief. All the other "alternative" stuff I've done has given limited to no relief or repair; like the prolotherapy and the PRP.... at my own expense. But they were adamant NOT to do any cortisone or anything like that as it was counter-intuitive to the "natural" type treatments I was having. And I understood that. So maybe now it is time to look at it differently.....

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I knows few people that it's worked for that other things didn't so i pray it helps you. I ran out and have bought more but if i remember (been meaning to order) its about 106 it was one of the more expensive oils they carry but if you the kit (like your gonna sale it) it comes with it and you get other oils as well and ends up cheaper.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have talked to a guy who builds on site.... the thing is it will need to be more than a shed.... because of wanting it to stay above freezing in the winter. Plus wanting to keep out the dampness.... so would have to have a finished floor....even if it was concrete.... He is talking at least 4,000.... and the one thing is is it would be "permanent"....

Well, I'm confused. First, if you buy one & get it delivered it is not "more than a shed". It is not permanent. Same can be built on site -- same portability and same wiring, insulation that you get in the ready made. Now the one being delivered MAY have to be certified to meet code and that MAY be the only difference. But, identical building can be built on site. I say this as I've seen it done. I felt you had said $4-5K for those you were looking at anyway. Hey, just a thought as it would allow you to have window/doors, etc. put where you want & not "option 1 or 2" :D as you had mentioned some concerns of your own preferences. Plus, you may get some deals on sale items, windows, siding, etc.

It's tough to figure all these things out. DH was a contractor, DS a builder, so I look at things "differently" :lol: I was the contractor on this house here & got bids, hired subs, did a LOT of the inside myself......all insulation (attic/walls/crawl, pipes) interior wood trim out, tiled bath walls, tile tub surrounds & shower, installed the wood floors, bought & sanded reclaimed woods for some inside walls, painted, stained, etc. Also roofed and sided my barn, & helped with interior stall dividers, etc. I'm sometimes "hands on". :hide I got some great sale buys back then. A Lowe's was closing a store & move to new, larger location a few miles off. Sales on every item there.

Flip side -- it's done & delivered!! Just fill it up. :clap Simple.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can relate my experience with cortisone in my knee....I talked to the doctor about it and he said that I should give it a try and just see if it helped....if it didn't, at least I would know and if it did then it would help for awhile and I wouldn't be in pain for that length of time....he could only give it once every 3mnths....so, I tried it and it was amazing...no pain and better range of motion....for 2wks.....the doc told me that the damage was too advanced to continue with it.....if I were in your shoes I'd give it a try....the injections will make ya clinch your jaw, but the relief...if it comes...will be well worth it....ya will never know if ya don't try....and if it helps for a decent time period....ya won't have to be so pressed to have them replaced right away.....and ya may deal with less pain until then.... :thumbsup

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses ; The buildings I am looking at are not "sheds" per se.... they are totally enclosed, floors, everything. And on "skids" so that they are brought on a truck, unloaded, leveled on site, set up and ready....
I HATE BUILDING STUFF. My mom was the carpenter in the family when I was a kid....guinea pig cages, rabbit cages, my chicken house that I could walk in, the smaller "portable " chicken pens that we used for the broody hens.... all that.
My dad helped "build the lean-to barn" that housed my horse, telephone poles for corners, marine plywood walls, plywood and tar paper roof, and it was all figured so that we didn't have to do hardly any cutting.....
My ex was a carpenter.... framing and finishing. Very meticulous. I hated it every time I did anything as it was never right or good enough. I learned to HATE anything that had to do with carpentry unless it was premeasured and could be screwed together.
My knees ache so much, that it is not an option for me to be out there standing for any length of time to build.
I am doing alot of looking for stuff for inside the house. It hurts to spend an hour just looking at the tubs and options in Lowes, just to get some ideas. I use the "ride on carts" in those stores because the standing on the hard floors will cripple me. I use them at Walmart to do the shopping or I am in tears after an hour grocery shopping. Or else I take double doses of pain pills to get around and then pay for it later.
I am not looking for sympathy for it believe me.... the reason I can get through testing is because I am able to sit down for even 2 minutes at a time, to take the pressure off the knees ( and the ankle before which was about unbearable before the surgery) in between groups of cows. But I pay for it that night or the next morning. If I enjoyed the building part, I would probably do it sitting as much as I can.... but I don't like to do it to start with.
I know I can save some money, and even maybe some time, and find bargains.... the "Restore" for Habitat for Humanity has lots of things and I am going to go there and look for some things too for the house. There might be some store closings from this virus shut down, causing some places to just not reopen. I am keeping my eyes open.

One other thing on these "sheds" ....here, they are not taxed like a normal "building" , as they are considered temporary here....not an "improvement" ; if there is no permanent foundation under them..... there are no permits needed. We can build a "POLE BARN" on farm property, without all the permits, although it will be taxed, but cannot build a shed/outbuilding if it has any kind of "permanent" foundation....Our county has some weird laws. That is why there are not very many "built garages"; they are the carport things, and such.... not considered permanent, not taxed as an improvement. And they do not have to meet the rules/laws for roof pitch and stuff like that.
I guess that if someone were to come and build it on site, as long as it was on "skids", it would be okay. That is way beyond my "pay grade" and skill level.
I can do alot of picking and choosing on the "premade" ones. Several sizes of windows to choose from. where I want them, where the door goes, single/double door, if it has "loft/storage, how much, sets of shelves, workbench, which sides, or across the back...you name it. Most are 2-4 weeks from order to delivery. A couple offer the electrical "package"..... different types of siding, color, type roof,
Might get a bargain if I take one premade off the lot.... I am considering that possibility too....
Most of this is just to familiarize myself what might be available, and get some ideas. Prices, possibilities. And yes, it is "instant building" dropped off and ready to use immediately. I have a couple months after the closing because the inside work in the house will have to be done in between his other jobs....

I appreciate your suggestions. Maybe if I liked the building end it would be different. I would rather sit and figure out how to install a kitchen faucet (which I did here with nothing but the directions in the box ...grrrr) than to have to pick up a hammer. Give me anything to do with the cows, calving, working/tagging, ....any kind of gardening/mulching/harvesting/canning/freezing job over a hammer and nails. I don't like handling power tools either. But that is in part due to the hand damage from the car wreck in 1989 and the 6 surgeries to get it to functional.... but not much strength in the right hand.

Last edited:

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
wanting it to stay above freezing in the winter. Plus wanting to keep out the dampness....

Would your above concerns be relieved if you bought a shed on skids? If not, I think you should be able to add insulation to the floor underneath and then if needed to skirt the floor on the outside to keep out the cold wind.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
So Jan, what you are saying is that it is a toss up as to whether you build the shed yourself or not? :lol:

Hey, you got it right! Do the things you like to do, pay people to do the things you don't. Not many have the time to do everything, whether or not they actually like doing some of those things, anyway.

I'm looking forward (maybe not QUITE as much as you are) to next year after your knees are replaced and your pain level goes way down.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bruce Believe me NO ONE is looking forward to the knees getting done as much as me at this time. Originally I had thought that getting the ankle done, and if it was successful, that maybe I would be able to get along for awhile without having to have any more surgery... like maybe a couple years???? I never realized how much the ankle pain and lack of use was masking the knees.... I am so ready.... but can't do it now as I can still get on the tractors and do the tedding and raking of the hay and help at the barn with the cows somewhat too. Plus, doing the one dairy cow now with her calves, and have a couple more that will be calving in the fall that will at least need one more calf grafted on them.... so can't do anything now. But it is all maybe better as I am doing some "PT" on the knees too to strengthen them and get myself into a better position to have them done with hopefully a better recovery....

Yeah, better to have a project done and done right by someone who is better at it and LIKES to do it than for me to mess it up. Even if I liked doing carpenter stuff, it would be hard right now. And I want some of these things done "now" so to speak so that I will be able to move and have some stuff "right" from the beginning. I have gotten rather "lazy" here as I hate being in this house and not being able to do stuff; dealing with the things that should be done and aren't and not being able to even enjoy having my chickens here. At least at the other house, the nurse cows are literally right across the road kitty corner to me, and the meat birds at my son's place are only a about 2-maybe 3 miles from the house. Plus I will have a fridge that works right to keep the stuff cold, this one is iffy now and I can't keep drinks cold like I like; and be able to NOT have people going in and out the driveway all the time. Sure there will be more traffic going by, but they won't be right there in my yard.
I went up to the house today in one of my trips by. I took mineral and salt to several pastures of cows. I rode around the house to see what I am thinking of doing and getting the boxwoods out is a priority to me because I am thinking that the "freezer building" should go where they are, closer to behind the house. I am not sure how long the guys are going to be at my son's property, that are taking out the trees and all the underbrush and such.... thinking maybe they would be able to do a little side job while here..... but the closing isn't until after the 15th of July.... I might have to talk to them and see how long they are going to be here.... maybe talk to the owners and see if I could get that done before the closing. The one sister said that the boxwoods needed to go, she didn't like them and they had gotten way overgrown.... maybe talk them into letting me have it done and god forbid, if it doesn't close for some way out reason, it is an improvement for them???? There is one tree that is about 30 ft tall in the middle of the boxwoods that just grew and needs to come down too ...... Going to talk to the guys at his property first and see how long they think they are going to be there.....

Then I was looking at the "deck porch" that is on the side of the house off the kitchen. Thinking that it would be much better closed in as a bigger part of the kitchen - eating area maybe? I am not much on a deck, too many mosquitoes and stuff and I can't see me spending much time on it. But who knows. Just looking at things and wondering if doing something different would be more useful.... Gotta get them boxwoods gone though, they make it seem so closed in. Trying to picture some fencing and where to put the chicken pens. Probably will put the garden back where it was when they were kids.... but that is up for consideration too. Just want it to be done so that I can start doing stuff....

Going to look at a couple more "buildings" this week when I am coming from PT. Also, look at more tubs and possibilities. Go by the couple of "Restore" places from Habitat too and see what they have to offer. And on one trip want to go by and talk to the guys with the outdoor wood furnaces and get an idea of prices and such.

Need to make a list cuz I don't know where I put the other one.... that senior thing LOL.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Senile_Texas_Aggie I don't think that I would need too much in the way of "insulation" as they are pretty well built and I only want to keep it above freezing.... but it is something to consider and look into. Thanks for the reminder.
At this point it is still a "look and see" kind of thing. But I try to take any suggestions and give them some consideration because I sure can't think of everything.....

Latest posts