Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
did yours ever do anything about the gardening project he was so gung ho to do?????

He planted. Believe they harvested a couple squash and a tomato. Hot, no rain, didn't water, weed, etc. In fact, haven't seen him in a couple weeks. Of course, he was "supposed" to come replace a couple porch posts for me........guess I will be looking for a hire soon.

:idunno Guess free rent for 2 yrs is worth nothing....it's over, I'm done. My life will continue -- just hate to deal with some family things. :(

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses , I can so sympathize....and relate. We got some of the cows in this afternoon, after a shower that looked like it would really do something then luckily fizzled out.... But seems there was a hole in the fence and most of the cows and the big calves got out into another section, with a small group that was out there. Did get 4 cows with new calves in, worked the calves, then gf came after she got off work and they went up to see if they could get the other group in. Did get most, but 2 of the big calves that are coming off to get sold kept going back up the hill.... so got everyone else in and there was a cow with a new calf....so 5 with new calves to move tomorrow.
I preg checked 6 that had been missed the last time; they came down off the hill after all the rest had been done.... obviously were up in one of the brush thickets and no one saw them at the time. 4 were definitely well along, probably going to calve within 2 months... one was not as far, and one I think was open. There has been a clean up bull in with them so I can understand the one not as far. Hopefully he is going to get the vet to recheck some that were specifically put back in there with the bull back several months ago so should be like 2-4 or 5 months. I have trouble with under 5 months.... If they are not bred, or very short bred; they will be leaving since they all should have been calving before now and into this fall.... They all are in good condition, and it is the time to get rid of. 1 that is old will be leaving with the current calf, was definitely open, and not getting rechecked ; another is a high strung nutcase, that has been nearly impossible to get in and is not even getting checked. She is a bought cow and has not benefitted from being with our much calmer quieter group.... Nice calf, but it is a steer so is getting sold anyway.
There are at least 15 or 20 more in the other group, all according to how many from the other group have gotten in. So many of these were moved around and no one gave a list so I am flying by the seat of my pants here on who is who, where and what. Using 2 preg check lists and the list of cows from 2 different pastures last year, and trying to do this "fast" as he is calling out numbers for me to look for....:th:barnie:barnie:hit:hit:hito_Oo_O I am surprised that I even managed to get the ones that I did right. A couple I just said, I can't find them so they will just be rechecked by the vet to be sure.... Any open are leaving.

So it was a very productive afternoon really, and he was just as calm and quiet and no cussing or blowing his stack or anything. I told her that she would have to come more because that is the first time he hasn't yelled when I can't find the info "right this minute".... He was patient with her as she was learning how to head catch a cow, so that I could do the preg checks. I don't think she really wanted to be there as I was sticking my arm up their butts, but she was game to do it. So, I will give her ++++ for that. But I don't feel like she was really into it that much. Maybe it will work its self out. I will give credit where credit is due. She was quick to want to go as soon as we were done though.
Tomorrow we will be getting the ones with the little calves moved to pasture and get some of the "dry cows" (due this fall) out to other pasture to grass. Give the grass here at this farm a chance to regrow for a couple months for late fall and early winter grazing when we start bringing them all back for ease of winter feeding. Alot of these dry cows will be calving at pasture, and will be coming back with calves for wintering.... and the ones with the spring calves will be coming back for the winter and the calves to be weaned off and sold so that they get a 2 month rest before they start calving again in Mar or so. The bulls are in with them now, went in in June most places for spring calves next year.

Going to test the farm on Monday, where I am going to take my dairy x heifers. Will finalize the arrangement, which I don't want anything but for them to take care of them and milk them so I don't have to sell them.... and get some calves back to put on the 2 young jersey cows that I have used as nurse cows.... Then they will go and there are 6-8 more heifers that need to be bred... or sold. I think that there are 2 to sell and the others will get bred. Should have been with the bull already.... but again, he is always too busy to get this stuff done......

Got an appt at the house in the morning @ 8:30 for a company to give me an estimate on the power washing, and also on the windows..... decided that I will do the inside of the house.... by bits and pieces as my knees can stand it... But I will be moving stuff in sooner than they can get here....
Got another handyman, the ins ladies BIL, maybe coming by mid morning... He apologized for not getting back to me sooner but lives in an area that has POOR CELL SERVICE.... boy do I get that.... and did not get the messages until yesterday eve...he is going to be doing a couple of estimate calls, tomorrow, and I said that I would be at the house from about 9:30 to noon if he was close by, and if not, maybe on Thursday, or we could figure out another day. And there is a local guy coming by around 4 to look at the pressure washing job too.... He returned my call within 2 hours of my leaving a message and the first statement was "thank you for calling me about the pressure washing".... and he does this part time for now, I think trying to establish a business... and is only about 5 miles away during the day.... Might be where I give my business.... let's see what kind of estimates I get....

I got the windows and tops of the door frames all taped with that special "tape" that has like a "curtain" that hangs down from the taped edge, in the one room. Exactly what I wanted. Will try to get the other room taped tomorrow inbetween the "appts"....then have to do the baseboard in the room that I want the floor sanded, so it doesn't get splatters from the roller...
Decided on the blue for the bedroom.... green is between 2 shades. Got a headache looking at that lilac/lavender again this eve.... it is just so strong of a color. It is going to take 2 coats to cover so there is ABSOLUTELY NO BLEED THROUGH OF THE COLOR.....Got to get at least one coat on so I can get a break from looking at it. Be glad when that is done. Everything looks like it has that tint. SHUDDER !!!!!

Time to go to bed so I can get up and go to the house early enough to meet the first estimate appt....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The painting part is easy, it’s all the taping everything that you don’t want paint on that is the tedious hard work. I know you will be glad to finally roll paint.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
What do you all do with bulls after breeding? Do you run them with fresh bred cows or move them to bachelor quarters?

At the auction last week they had a headgate, in decent shape with only a little rust on bottom/ground plate. I bid on it -- WHY?? Good price but, then I stopped as I decided it was just another thing I'd have to store & move -- no cattle and waaaay too big for goats. Yes, I caught myself in time. :lol: Self control ruled. Super buy tho! :D

Take advantage of DS mood while he's still trying to impress gf. We know at some point it changes as "the honeymoon is over". :D =D

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just an update -- that little colt left today. All went smoothly. Everyone home, weather great, mares all at top field -- I put them into a paddock of heavy grass, when they least expected it, mom & son separated to a holding pen. Then mom out & I went into the little 6X12 holding pen, and began gentling...after an hr, had a halter on him. We both did this without much anxiety & no injury. :lol: I still have the touch! :D =D 4.5 months old, only initial imprint handling day 1 & 2 of life....now, he'll be everyday handled.

Two young, strong 17 yr olds gently led him to the trailer and with a little butt push, he was in. Smooth as silk. :yesss::frow He's in good hands.

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yay, on getting the little guy up and going to his new home. And even though you weren't wanting any breeding with all the "retired" animals, sounds like it was a great thing all the way around.... especially going to a good home. That's great.

Well, I painted most of one wall today in the bedroom..... I really like that color blue, but it is nicer wet, and dries a little more "blue" than I really want. So I wanted to look at it for a bit..... Still not 100% sure on it. But I figured that if I got one wall of lilac/lavender/purple painted over, I might have a little better perspective. So I will look at it again tomorrow. I did paint a bigger area on another wall with another of the sample jars.... and maybe thinking that I can leave the one wall the bluer color and the other 3 the lighter blue?????
I just might be over thinking it ....."ya think" ?????

So I went and helped son move some cattle around, 3 cow calf pairs with bull calves (steers actually) to one place and dropped 2 dry, preg cows at a pasture with other dry preg cows on the way by. Then took 4 cow calf pairs with heifer calves, to another pasture. Moved 7 more dry preg cows out to the back field.... and he got the rest (he says) that all got mixed together into the front field there so they can come in the barn with the bigger calves.... plus there are a few that have already calved... that we had already sold the calves off of.... so the new calves will get worked and put out with the others at the 2 pastures as there is plenty of grass at those 2 places. Will hope the cows will get bred back and so "back them up" a month or so.... instead of late July/Aug calves, get bred so they will calve again in June/early July.... in otherwords, back up a month to get them back to being spring calving cows. So they will go 11 months between calves for the next couple of years if we are lucky. The best thing is the grass is plentiful, so they ought to get to cycling and coming in heat better than if it was dry or stressful, or poor nutrition, etc..... We have so many fall calving cows right now, what with a whole bunch that did not breed back as fast as they should have.....so they are going like 16 months between the last calf and this one coming... went from calving in say Mar/April/May to calving in July/Aug.... so it will take more to carry them through the winter in feed with calves on them. Plus we are geared to put cow/calf pairs out to pasture so we don't have to worry as much with them trying to calve away from here and more watchful eyes....and the predator problems like the miserable Mexican Black Buzzards, going after the babies just born and all. They are one of the worst scourges on this earth. And there are bears, and coyotes.... so we like to calve them out here and then turn them out with the calves.

In between, the one place cancelled the appt as they said their estimator guy called in not feeling well. Then the "handyman guy" didn't come, but I knew he had other appts and might not get there. The other guy did come right at 4:15 about the power washing, he has been doing this part time for over 20 years he said. Him and his now retired dad do it. Gave me a decent price I think, and said the deck is going to require some effort because (I don't think it was ever sealed when new and) is quite discolored. He also gave me the name of a friend of his that he said he would recommend to anyone, who does side jobs of floor sanding/refinishing, painting, other stuff; some other outside stuff done.. I was explaining that I needed some of the saplings cut down around the little shed, and other things done.

So the BIL handyman is going to be there around 3 tomorrow.... and I will get some prices from him.... then call the "friend" and get him to come and give me some prices.

Probably will put the other company (power washing and windows, that also did the move in/move out inside cleaning) that cancelled, on hold.... Plus I am doing most of the cleaning now.... I like to deal with the "little guy" if possible.... Told him point blank that I wanted to get some idea, that I needed to get my budget figured out... that I didn't HAVE to get it pressure washed but wanted it to start out "clean" and that the deck definitely needed to be sealed before winter this year due to the wear and tear on it. His estimate was $475 for house, carport inside and out, concrete porch and he will do the metal uprights that have like an ivy design for supports, to knock the loose rust off, so I can maybe paint them.... they were originally green, to match the shutters; and the deck. Says he can give me references of other local jobs.
Let's see what the BIL handyman says tomorrow as far as some of the stuff that I want done...

I will have to haul at least one load of calves to town Friday by the looks of it. Probably do the same thing we did a few weeks back.... him help me load, then me go to town and unload and all, then he will bring my truck in with all my equipment etc., to go to work from there and he will stay there at the sale. It might also depend if we get the doc to do any more recheck/preg checks and if any are open. If they are, they are leaving. We'll see what is what. I do have to go test Friday no matter what/how we work it out.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Excellent juggling. :D =D Leave that blue wall alone for a day or two, then decide. It can dry well and you can acclimate yourself with color. If hue is good, have them just lighten it when mixed.

$475 actually sounds like a pretty fair price for all you say he will do.
Also, done without you doing, It may not need to be done "now" but for just the deck, with trip/time, etc., you won't be saving much when 2nd trip comes around. I do understand $$ to spend vs needed items to spend on. That bathroom is first....deck may have to wait until Spring. :idunno Yep, hard to get the estimates to know.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, it is Thursday eve. Need to do a little catching up. Weather has been nice for the last 24 hours, they were calling for more rain this aft but even moreso into this eve, and tonight and tomorrow. We wound up only getting some clouds off and on this afternoon.... but with the prediction of rain tomorrow, glad we didn't give in to cut hay. It is supposed to be clearing off down to 20% chance after Saturday....
Got some cows and bigger calves moved around, got the last group off the hill with the calves and the ones that got through the fence and mixed in. Vet said he could come this afternoon, so all the ones that were questionable got preg checked. Had 3 open that were not a surprise, older cows... they will get soldas well as the calves tomorrow. One younger cow that was open, surprise, but she will get a chance back with the bull for a second chance. Also one crazy nutcase cow that tried to run over top of my son 3 times trying to get her into the small pen that leads to the chute/alley for the preg check. He said fine, she can go on the truck tomorrow with the calves. Don't need to get hurt.....Suits me, she has been a high strung PITA from the get go. Raised her from a calf, and she raises nice enough calves, but they all have her attitude....end of that line of aggravation. Got a group of about 7 with no calves on them that he was going to move out back with the other dry cows. Put the ones with the bigger calves that are going to be sold, all back together for the night. Those cows will also get moved out once the calves are sold and they have a day or 2 to quit bawling. Doubt they will be doing much hollering though, they get tired of the bigger calves butting their udders so hard. There are also about 4 or 5 cows that have calved so those calves will get worked and moved out to pasture for the rest of the summer and fall....

I did go on and finish painting that one wall completely with the blue, this morning. Then I decided to go on and do the "shorter wall" where I had 2 different "3x5" sections with the sample paint on... up to the doorway where we will be enlarging it. As I was painting it, I realized that the wet paint I was using, that dries darker, was the same shade of the DRY paint sample that I had on the wall. I wouldn't have really noticed it but I was working around the door frame, and was covering the purple and had painted over some of the edge of the dry section.... and realized that the wet paint that I liked the "lighter color" before it darkened as it dried, was the same as the Dry paint already on the wall. So much the same that I couldn't see where I had painted or not on the dry.....
So I purposely painted a strip of the wet across the dry and will compare better tomorrow... but I think I found my solution.
SO WAHLAH, got the answer to the paint situation. Will get the lighter shade, that had looked too light... as it will dry darker... to the shade of the other one that I liked as a wet paint. Since I really will have to do 2 coats as the purple just tints through everything... so will use the "darker shade" to cover the purple, and then use the lighter shade to do the 2nd coat which will be the color I like better.

I am pretty happy with the dried wall section of the lt. green so will go on and get that too. I think that one coat should cover that as it is a very light beige/neutral color... I will get a gallon and see if it does it and if not can always get more.

The ins lady's BIL handyman called and had to postpone today; ... so I am going to call the pressure washing guy's friend, and see if he can come out this weekend to take a look. I have decided to go on and get the pressure washing done, I want it to look "nicer" to start. I will tell him that I don't want it to happen until about the 2nd week of Sept... give me time to get a few things in order....Money will be better too. BIL handyman said he would like to come out next Tuesday, as I said that Monday won't work; since I am going to test the farm that my heifers will be going to and want to be able to take my time and visit for a few minutes after work and get everything in a row so they can go there in a couple of weeks and get on the feed and all so they are acclimated when they do calve. So if he can get it together , I will meet him Tuesday. I still want some estimates. I want to have some/most of the painting done if possible.... that is one thing I had asked about him doing.... but I want to get some "progress" made so it can seem, to me, like I am getting somewhere. I did completely vacuum out the built in china cabinet.... but want to repaint the white that is on the walls inside... It looks like they did a quicky job when ever it was done. I'm thinking just use the ceiling white I got.... then I could actually start taking a some of the liberty blue china up as I go....
Also got the bathroom vanity vacuumed out and as soon as the drawers get a little shaved off one side (they don't open due to not being able to slide by the door frame moulding.... son said they need to just have a smidgeon shaved off the side that is catching....yes, it fits that tight.... so then I can start moving some other stuff as I go. There is no linen closet there so will have to have a cupboard in the utility room for extra bathroom stuff... have several here that I won't need in the kitchen there because of all the built in cabinets, that are all free standing that are mine... so I can just transfer one of them to the utility room up there.
Got the extra pieces ds said I needed for the utility room sink drain...
And I took down the little "accordion" folding door that the mother had put up, to close off the LR from the hallway. There is a regular door but she said it took up too much space in the room, so they put up one of those inexpensive little plastic/vinyl folding door.... hated the way it looked, the other door is there if I want to put it back up... but for now am going to leave it just open.
Making a list of things I need to do... get. Took the vacuum bags with me this morning, but I am getting low so will have to go get a new box of them while in town... on the list too....
Got all the rest of the tops of the door frames, and the other mantle piece, tops of the windows, everything is all taped. Only have to put down another piece of plastic in the BR to cover the rug. It was real cheap "drop cloth plastic " for like 1.00 a roll so not worth untaping and moving in the BR.... besides it needs the 2 coats so will just toss it when I am done.
Got the name of an appliance center that my friend used to have her refridge serviced.... said they are pretty good. So will call them to come look at the fridge from ds.... if it can be made to work and get cold for say 200, that is better than having to buy a new one at about 800. Can't seem to find any that "small" used anywhere...

Tomorrow I will get all my stuff together and have in my truck so that I will be able to just go to work from the farm, and not come back down here to get it... not knowing the schedule for taking the cattle to town. I have to go to the owner sampler farm where I dropped off the meters the other day, they are done.... and go there before I go to test the other farm. Pick up my meters, do the "paperwork" on the computer and print their reports....then go test the 100 cow herd for the afternoon. Somewhere inbetween I will try to go by Lowe's and get the paint too so I don't have to make a special trip to town. Then I can work on that on Saturday and Sunday. If he cuts hay I may have to tedd that on monday like at 10-11 a.m., then rake that on Tuesday as I have to leave Monday early afternoon (like 1 pm) to go set up and then test that herd....

My friend said she totally agrees that they did alot more to clean up the house than she would have expected, from when she first saw it . She also fully agrees that the boxwoods need to go..said she has never seen them get that big and tall. It will open up the back of the house and there are still a couple of nice trees for some shade... not like I am going to make it like a desert or take out all the trees or anything. Just this huge overgrown mess.

Oh that reminds me, I talked to the guys at the cell tower constrution... owner said they will be back on probably Tuesday, but that he will text me and it will be most likely Wed and he will come look and see if they can do the boxwood removal .... I told him that I thought that if it wasn't too much trouble that they might like to earn a little cash on the side. Don't see it taking them more than a couple hours to take them out and to take down the one bigger walnut treee in the middle of them.... cut it up into sections for future firewood.... maybe even a walnut log or 2... it is fairly straight. But mostly thinking firewood. It is coming down regardless with those horrible boxwoods.

So I guess that is all the updates. There is one calf tomorrow that is going that is mine.... he will pay for the power washing plus a little more in my pocket... so I decided to just do it. It will make me feel better. Got some money coming from my son for the heifer I "sold him", that he killed for beef, and the other couple head that got sold....tomorrow after we sell this load, I will hit him up for the money for all he owes me. He tends to let it ride, and I want the money in MY account earning interest, until I need it....

Time to get a shower, and go to bed. Got to do my nurse cow in the morning before I get too tied up with all the cattle hauling stuff. The calves are looking alot better since they are out loose with her... and the smallest one seems to come in when I bring her in and nurse while she is eating grain... so it might be actually getting a little more milk than when they were all 3 going on the cow at the same time. At least she is not fighting the other 2....and the cow lets her nurse when she's eating so that's good. Plus they are all coming in the side through the creep gate so can get some grain when I put it in the feeder for the whole group of calves. I will start putting more in there now as there are 8 eating there instead of the 5 on one side and the 3 on the other side with the cow.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got caught up, painting is such a chore, but it sure looks nice when you get it all done. There is a "sock" you can get to go over your head to keep the paint off, wear goggles with it to keep it out of your eyes, if you can stand them. It sure helps on cleanup of YOU.

You are wise to get things done BEFORE you move in. It is much easier to work in an empty house, versus trying to deal with "stuff". I tried to get as much done in our house before we moved, because once we got here, I went outside and didn't come back in to do any work for a year. LOL LOL Poor BJ had his hanging clothes in those moving boxes. I threw out those crappy wire racks when I painted, vowing to not let them back in the house. I finally built out BJ's closet, it is 10'x4'. I built 2 towers, 18" deep, one is 3' wide, one is 2' wide and 2 clothes poles between the towers. He loves it, but he had to wait awhile on it. My very small closet is still unfinished and has crap stacked in it. Eh.......I'd rather be outside......

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, it was a decent day, didn't get everything done I wanted to, but still okay.

Had to do some work related computer stuff this morning so it disrupted some of my plans. DS texted me and said that he was planning to be at the barn to get cows in and sort and for me to be there by noon. So I got the sample bottles in the truck; computer, printer and all for the owner sampler farm , and went and filled the gas tank up and all and was at the barn about 11:45. He was there sorting the cows so I helped a bit by answering his questions as to which heifers belonged to who.... trying to determine who to sell. So we shipped a total of 15 calves and 5 cows.... I left about 12:30, got to the stcokyard, unloaded and went up to get some lunch @ the restaurant. Don't have much of a menu with it only being takeout, but got hot dogs, macaroni salad and a drink and sat out in the "ring area " in a chair to eat. Talked to a couple of guys there about the general state of things.... weather and rain around who and what areas, and one that is looking to have his knees replaced also.
My son showed up about 2:15 or so, and the "guy who worked for us alot as a teen", came in with his wife and new (2 months old) baby son..... So I talked a few minutes, then got my truck and left. Went to the farm to do the paperwork and it wound up being more than I anticipated so did as much as I could and had several questions and the farmer wasn't there, so left the computer & printer there, and went to the other farm to test. I use their computer and printer, so didn't need mine. We tested, got all the stuff done, had to fix a few little things on their computer entries, then left and went back to the other farm. Got all that straightened out and then went by the stockyard on the way home to pick up the check. Well, they weren't even done selling heifers yet... and cows are after that.... So I wound up staying, watched them sell heifers, prices are holding steady on them pretty much, and then they finally got to the cows. Watched them sell ours, they did average for what they were as far as age and condition.... then I finally left at about 9-9:30 to come home.
So here I am... eating some leftover vegs and will call it a night. Did not get to Lowe's for the paint and stuff, so will do that tomorrow so I can work at the house. Also, the forecast has changed a bit to possible rain, occasional thunderstorms, so will probably get some laundry done and hung at the house on the lines to dry. Washer is probably not going to get moved tomorrow, he is going to fix a float on a water trough at a pasture, move the 4 cows with new calves that he got worked this aft., to that pasture when he goes to work on the water trough, and then start working on one of the farm trucks that has the "bale bed" to move round bales with. The transmission started giving him a some problems, so he parked it and started driving the automatic one. Well, that transmission is slipping so decided now he needs to fix this one. Like, YEAH, about time.... but I didn't say that. Past time to fix it... as are a couple other trucks that need fixing.... Not much for me to do tomorrow. Heard that the gf is going away for a week with her daughter and a friend and her daughter... so he will get some things done for a change.
Looks like some clearing for a few days so hay and possibly sorghum-sudan grass will get cut Sunday or Monday to hopefully get it made by Wed.... calling for increased chances of precip Thurs. Might have to do with the tracks of these 2 storms that are headed into the gulf and Texas, La, Ga, and/or Florida.... I have the farm Monday, and PT at noon on Tues but can work around that to rake or whatever.

My knees ached today... after all the vet check, and the sorting, then the sorting today and then testing... plus the dampness/humidity in the air. And the standing at the house doing the painting..... didn't take anything early like I should have, so never could get "caught up" on the ache all day. Will be sure to take some stuff first thing in the morning.
I'm going to read some more posts/alerts, then get a good hot shower and go to bed.