Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
News this AM says "maybe" some "light" showers tonight. It's a wait and see thing. Looks like some heavier rains coming thru about 60-70 miles North of me and "your" stuff coming east just South of me. I'm just above the NC state line.

VERY humid out there today & heat index of 105 & 110 for today & tmrw. :eek: Not typical Sept weather. Whole world is screwed up!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We started out with a more sunny day, then had some clouds, got a shower, but the humidity has climbed and tomorrow is supposed to be worse. Not as bad as @Mini Horses though. Hopefully the 40% chance of showers for Thursday will be the end of "chances" for about 5 days.
DS is going with me to do the 500+ cow herd on Friday morning.... Then I suspect he will mow the sorghum/sudan grass.. probably at both places.
So the "farm helper, jim, went to get the fridge this morning. Was there at 9:30 and he called me at 9:40 because he didn't know my last name (different from DS who's last name he knows). He said that there weren't any guys there to help load it after the store owner said that they were there in the mornings between 9-10. But he got it, It isn't a big huge one and he didn't have very high to load it up the ramp. I figured a total 1 1/2 hours.... up there, load, and back. It's not 20 miles away.... He finally got to the house at 11 (2 hours) plus he came up the road from the opposite direction so went better than 5 miles down the main road to come back up the road to the house about another 3 miles. I was pretty pissed. But I didn't say anything. Got it off the trailer, loaded the one that doesn't work to go down to the barn & on the scrap metal trailer; then he says he has 2 appts to go to in town... one dr that was rescheduled, and one with the social services.... he is going to try to get into an apartment with assisted rent.... and see about getting on disability. Well, I suggested that several months ago as far as the disability.... with his diabetes and all that and not working....( we pay him cash)....
He said he could do a little bit (this is about 11:20 and I figured he had to leave by 12 to get changed and go to town at 12:30.... 15 miles/20 minutes south). So he weed eated all around the deck and stuff for the guy coming to power wash tomorrow; then left my house at about 11:50 and it is 4 miles to his camper on my son's barn property.
So he said his appts were at 1 and 3 and that he would come back to start mowing and all. I said that was fine, I would see him later.
When I talked to DS and he said he could come by to help with the fridge and washer. I had washed them both down and all so they would go in clean. He got there about 4:15 and he said that he didn't realize that the fridge was the new one, he saw it on the porch; and I told him about the morning.... he said, well, the truck is at the camper when I went by a few minutes ago. I said, well, he must have gotten done at his appt in town. So after we got them both in, and it took a little manipulating around, got the washer hooked up but the faucets leak when opened up all the way. They don't leak at a little less than half way.... so they probably need to be replaced. Will keep them off unless I am there using it. Ran a full load through to get the inside dust, dirt cleaned out, etc... Plugged in the fridge and it is working!!!!!!!
So he said, well, why don't you do some mowing since the grass is dry now, because it is getting tall....let jim do the rest of the weed eating and then he can mow if you don't want to. I said, okay, sounds like a plan. He goes in, starts the mower, backs it out and the mower deck underneath is dragging.... it is loose.... and there is no belt on it and it is all loosened up so that the belt can be put on it. BUT WAIT A MINUTE.... jim said he got all the parts and the belt and all, and that it was ready to use..... said he had the receipts for the parts for me for my taxes as a homeowner.....
So I said, well he said he was coming back up so just leave it out and he can get it put back together.... but then we decided that maybe we better put it back in the shed....calling for possible rain/showers tonight.... so we did.... had to lift it cuz the mower deck was dragging and caught on the sill and luckily DS could lift it up enough to get it all up on the sill, then hold it as he drove it in.
He had a real bad headache so I told him to go and I would do something else.... I am sanding the baseboard heater panels to paint so had them to do.....
I called and left a message, then texted and got no answer or return text or anything. I am pretty p.o.ed.... DS said well, some help is better than none some days.... and I am thinking maybe for what he is doing for you around the farm.... but not for me and what is supposed to be getting done here. I told him when he got it the other day, that he could have the mowing job at both places if he was going to be around to do it, because I don't like to mow grass and I hate to weed eat. He said he wanted to maybe start his own lawn mowing business because he liked to do it.... WELL it sure doesn't look like it to me. I have paid him what he has asked, no questions, as far as time goes.... but this just frosts my ba//s..... He has worked on this mower and it was supposed to be ready to go.... I am getting dam#@d sick of this. So as soon as it gets put back together, I think that I will just start doing it; as much as I have other things that need doing, and don't care to do it. He can do stuff if he is around, but I think that he won't be, especially if he gets the disability, but that is going to take a little time.... and he will have to find a vehicle to drive as he isn't going to be taking our farm use truck to town and keep it there. He uses it now, since he is keeping his camper on DS property at the barn, and doing alot for him. But it seems that he is constantly having to go to these appts now, and it is technically not for that....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
So I finished the one set of heater panels, and picked up everything off the porch. They power washing guy texted and said they would be coming between 8-8:30 A.M., if that was okay. I texted back and said that I thought that he was coming in the afternoon but that was okay. He said he should have told me morning.... he works as a teacher and their hours are all screwed up as many of you know... I then texted him back and said, oh, I forgot, I have a PT appt at 8:30 but should be back by 10 or so... how long would it take them so I can get back to pay him.? He said a couple hours probably and I said okay, that I had a few things to move and he said they could move them.... there's a couple boxes of the canning jars and a few things under the carport still.... I was going to move them during the day Thursday for them to come in the afternoon. I will go up there in the morning before I go to PT and take a couple of better boxes as there are 2 that are falling apart with the jars I picked up at the dumpster that day. So not a big deal. But that is the opposite from what I expected. Thank goodness he at least weed eated around the deck and all today.....

So I decided to go to Lowe's to the south, as opposed to the one in the town north, and see what they had for countertops, the pull out rolling racks for underneath, and such. Get a few other things I was wanting and didn't have in the one in Staunton (north). I was just looking around and went up the aisle past the some fridges.... and one caught my eye... It is a big one, has a bottom freezer, stainless which is NOT my favorite, french doors, all the bells and whistles.... with a reduced sign. I didn't give it much of a look, then saw that it was a $2849.00 fridge, marked down to 2249. Then saw it had been crossed out with one line in regular pen.... to 1425..... said it was damaged. I went and asked the guy there to tell me about it. It has a SMALL, and I do mean very small, dent on the bottom on one side.... and that that it has full warranty but it needs to be moved as they are going to be doing "resets" and moving a whole bunch of stuff around. It has water/ice all that in the door.... and an icemaker in the freezer.... pull out bottom freezer with drawers... Not fully sold on the french doors on top but they are standard unless it it a side by side for ice and water in the freezer side.
I pulled the owners manual out and was reading it.... and then he comes over and I had to ask the measurements.... and said I wasn't really looking for a big fridge yet, but that the price was awful good.... He gave me his card, said we are getting ready to close, but I will be here tomorrow... tell you what, I'll make you a better deal. Come see me tomorrow and I will let you have it for 1200....

This is NOT in the budget....but he//, just a plain one with a bottom freezer is 1,000 practically... I was looking at them. I stopped at the house on the way home.... it won't fit through the house doors... unless I go measure it with the doors off.... It is 36" across the front, 32 " deep with the doors without the handles which are off now... my widest door is 30", and I have to check the height... it should fit the space if I take the tall pull out shelves out of there like I was planning to....next to the small fridge now.... I hate to let it go..... going to go back down there tomorrow after I get done with PT and at the house.... and see what the measurements are with the doors off.... I just think it is not smart, to not get it.... I just got the Lowe's card, so could put most of it on the card and pay the rest.....water can be run easily under the cabinet to it.... would mean doing a little of the cabinet "remodeling" sooner rather than later....or even just set it on the cleaned off porch for a bit and cover it until I get things more done....

Never ever dreamed that I would see something like this.... they have a bunch of reduced things, small scratches/dents..
wasn't looking for this, as I was looking at the counter top stuff, and the roll out drawers @Baymule mentioned... after getting the few little things.... and it just sorta stood out as I went around a corner....

I had no idea that new refridgerators cost so much now.... I mean it is horrible. And I just bought the little one, but it can always be a spare.... but I wouldn't have spent the money . A plain white one is like $800 with a top freezer....
NUTS and DOUBLE NUTS.....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
YES! Jump on that deal like a terrier on a rat! That is a fantastic buy and you won't regret it one bit. We have a neighbor that has bought all brand new appliances on the Lowes mark down damaged stuff. Then he got all new appliances for his mother. He found 2 gas grills, regular price $650, marked down to $150, offered $100 and called us to see if we wanted one. He even came over and put it together for us. You can find some great deals on Lowes mark down section. You should get that refrigerator!

On the help-no help guy, I would kick him to the curb. That issue may resolve itself if he gets an apartment in town and gets on disability. You put up with more than I would, that man is just plain stupid and no matter what you do, you just can't fix stupid.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I swear, I saw one that was $4K the other day !!! I mean, that is insane. Double looked at price. Dang, for that I used to buy a whole kitchen of appliances. Yep, price is like you won't ever see again. :D =D

Measure carefully. May have to take frig doors off to get it in. ?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
PAY FOR DELIVERY AND INSTALLATION and the delivery/installation people will remove the doors, connect it and set up everything for you. If anything gets damaged they are responsible. If you don;t wnat to pay for delivery and installation, the doors come ff realky esily, We have remved ad switched standard doors, and removed and replaced doors to fit throuh doorways lots of times. Easy - the installations instructions show how to. Jump on this deal - they will be twice as much next year and the one you bought is used and will do well for extra storage even in the carport. That is a great price and we ave the bottom freezer and French door top. It is great since the open doors take up less space and depending in where it is in your kitchen it makes all the difference. :weee

I wish I lived near you - I LOOOVE reno and would be happy to help you. I also have all my own tools! LOL However, before dong anything about the cabinets, call the custom guy in town and see if he can match the finishes, If so you can remove the island and have him redo that area when you are ready. He might be able to sand down and refinish that mis-matched end piece too.

Definitely take out the pull out pantry piece. You can probably use it in another room when you build in a closet - use it for canning jars videos, etc. or just an extra hidden pantry.

Yay! a big new fridge for Farmerjan at less than half price! The managers at Lowes will always deal on closeouts. I got half a kitchen there once for one of the apartments - brand new cabinets for $25 each! Also have gotten fancy medicine cabinets, sink, etc. Anything they are closing out is worth talking to the manager and making an offer. Remember that when redoing your bathrooms.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will let you have it for 1200....

This is NOT in the budget....but he//, just a plain one with a bottom freezer is 1,000 practically
I think a plain bottom freezer would be at least $1,200, you are getting a deal :D And like Ridgetop said the doors come off really easily. If you get a single door model it will come hinged on one side. I suspect it is the wrong side for about 50% of the buyers. I had to reverse the door on ours, no big deal at all. House door height isn't an issue if you are bringing it in on an appliance dolly, just tilt it back a bit more to clear the door opening.

Latest posts