Farmerjan's journal - Weather

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
The problem with youtube videos is that documenting sequences of events is one little part, videography (photography? IDK) is another, good quality equipment is yet another, and EDITING is about half, if not more, of everything. Plus, youtube/google is a terrible employer and does not pay well if they can help it. A lot of the good farming youtubers also really enjoy the art and journey of making their mini movies. I'm not sure many on here do.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
True Rachel. I follow several channels and I can't even imagine the time they spend daily setting up cameras to catch the action then all the editing to get out a video. One puts out a half hour video nearly every day, another does it 5 days a week.

I think some of them just naturally don't need as much sleep as some people. Get up well before dawn to edit and post the video then go out and do their thing again. And of course the time spent filming videos takes away from the time they have to do the actual work. For the ones that no longer have "day jobs" the money they get from YouTube and the time they spend doing it IS their "day job".

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
not sure about "how" they get pd and amounts. Interesting. I don't have the time or desire to do all that. Maybe if they earned enough?

I watch a few on occasion. Don't follow anyone. Yeah 1-4AM can be a little strange to fill up time. :D =D

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know about amounts but they get some little bit from every ad that is shown. And if they are "influencers" they sometimes get "assistance" from product suppliers. I have bought some things that I wouldn't have known about if not for the YouTube channels I follow so people using products seen by a few hundred thousand people is good advertising. Product suppliers also will sometimes sponsor a video which I ASSUME means they get money to talk about or show a product.

None of the ones I follow seem to be "home shopping network" sales jobs. If they are showing it, they are using it. Outdoors With The Morgans have a REALLY nice Wolf Ridge wood splitter. It was on loan from the company but generated so many sales the machine was given to them. IIRC it is a $5K machine. And they have some sort of deal with Kubota. All details are not disclosed but pretty much it is: they get the use tractors for a couple of years and they show using them on their projects. Given they use them almost every day there is good exposure of real world use. Lots better than a 30 second ad on TV or an ad in some magazine. There are 172K subscribers and 37,000 people watched the video they put up yesterday.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've always wondered how google feels about sponsors and deals like the aforementioned ones. I'm in favor of them and I consider them good fortune for the family typically but it strikes me that google's bleeding money, and being gone around/missing advertising dollars...

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Senile_Texas_Aggie thank you for the vote of confidence..... BUT..... not this girl. I have next to no electronic skills, and have no time for all the set up, and editing and all that. Not going to happen. I don't enjoy messing with all this electronic stuff. Case in point.... I still have a 35mm camera that uses FILM..... not even a digital. And my flip phone is at least 6-8 years old..... no smart phones here. If I want to know something, I will get on the computer here at the house.
One other thing, I don't like that all these "smart" electronics also allow you to be tracked, traced, and constantly bombarded with all sorts of stuff. I have no intention of having my movements traced, or my calls and such closely monitored.
Just personal preference. I don't mind telling people things, where I am or what I am doing.... but I am going to make that choice. There is too much keeping track of people and things and what they do; I am not going to give the gov't or other companies free rein with knowing my business. Yes some can be found from places I frequent on the internet, but my day to day movement cannot be followed if I don't have the electronic gadgetry for them to do so.
Besides, I would be very sporadic if I even thought about all the things I do and I just don't have the interest in doing it. I don't watch hardly any of the videos or youtube stuff or any of that .... except when you post it....
I haven't watched the video of wrapping the hay, but from the picture, yes, that is what we do with the sorghum/sudan grass to ensile it. I have read where some even wrap it when it is good dry hay in order to preserve the quality..... but it an expensive way to do that. Tarps are better than nothing, and if you make alot of real good hay in say round bales or even big square bales, then a more permanent hay shed will be paid for in a couple of years of wrapping. We paid $6.00 per bale for wrapping and we supply the "film" that they are wrapped with. Gets expensive when you are wrapping 50-100 rolls at a time.
Will post more in a bit. For 2 days I was unable to get on the BYH site, kept telling me I was forbidden.... I understand some of the other members had that problem, there was a thread on BYC or something, but I was too busy with the raking and all, then testing and everything else.... so haven't had the time to even check that out.