Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wed morning. Happy day before Thanksgiving. Cloudy and chilly, supposed to get some rain this afternoon or evening. Tomorrow morning. Remnants of what @Baymule and then @Mike CHS got I think. Looks like the most of it has stayed west on it's journey north.... We are supposed to get another one on Monday I think then temps are supposed to drop. Like 40's and 20's..... :th :ep.

Floors are done, finished Tuesday morning. I think I posted that. They are drying, not as shiny now that it is drier... semi-gloss finish. They still look really really good. Won't go on them for another couple of days....let them completely dry and harden.
Got a load of wood chips from a company that needs places to dump.... he had looked at and given me a price to do all the work.... and good thing I held off with finding out about the furnace. But they dumped them across the road in the neighbors and it caused a big upset.... neighbor called ds thinking he was getting chips and then of course he called me raising holy he// about it.... said I didn't need to be worrying about getting wood chips when I am not even moved in and have other things that need to take priority.... I called the guy and he talked to the neighbor and they came and got them all cleaned up and moved this morning....apologized and all is good. DS needs to just get off his high horse. I am on the "dump site" list for when they are in this area.... Made a mistake on place to dump.... got it solved....world did not end. Neighbor is fine with the moving and clean up and all is good. They also know where to come now. They might have another load today and I will probably be here to show them where to dump any more. I am thinking about mulch for the fruit trees ......no they have not been moved. I have to find someone with a mini excavator to do them. Way too many to do by hand....digging at both places to remove then put in here. Haven't gotten the stakes in yet either....but that is definitely on the "short" to do list.

Brought another few bags of stuff on the way this morning. Needed to get up here and let the chickens out. Nothing in the trap again. I think it was just a few of them got cannibalistic.....and stopped the skunk from getting into the feed and all.
Got to go get feed for them then I will refill and have all the buckets here full for tomorrow. They are eating about 2 buckets a day so not really bad.

Very fortunate, shoulder is back to normal ache today. It was alot better last night and this morning it was back to where it normally feels. Must have just turned wrong and it sure let me know. Thank goodness for that.

Got to go move a tractor back to barn.... .but might be better to wait intil Friday.... partly sun and warmer supposedly. We'll see.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yay for chips! Wish I could be a dumpsite. My neighbor has a friend who does tree work and sometimes needs local places to dump his chips, I got on the list but it's apparently a long one as I haven't heard anything for over a year.

I bought 24 yards for spreading in the spring. We spread a bunch 2 or 3 years ago under the apples and all over the backyard open spots where we walk and work the most. It stayed so clean underfoot and really helped smother the weeds.

If your son is so aware of what your priorities should be then maybe he ought to offer to help you move in.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wed eve. Pitch black already. Been cloudy all day, not too bad. Starting a little sprinkles as I got the chickens in. Got feed sitting there for tomorrow.
Went down to the other house and got some things that were close and easy to load. I was making up some boxes to start packing more stuff. Shredded a bunch more papers . Got to try to remember to bring some of that stuff up. I always seem to forget. Got it all in the house here. Put some more stuff in the drawers of the vanity in the bathroom.... have pretty much all the bathroom stuff put away. No towels or anything, just soap, shampoos, toilet paper, all that sort of stuff. Found some shower curtains I hadn't used at the other house that I can use here. Need a rod.
Next are the drawers from the bureau's. I can put them in the outback even when it is misty or wet and not worry...plus all the ones that have stuff in them still won't blow anywhere. Supposedly he took it to get the muffler pipe or whatever fixed... but it is still making noise. Said he is going to get under it and see what's what. Works for me, he took it to get done, if it isn't right....not my fault.

I'm going to go into the kitchen and see what I can do to get some stuff put up. Want to take the vacuum and get the shelves completely cleaned out. Maybe put some shelf paper down on a few but most look pretty good. I am going to have to make a few shelves for in the bottom cabinets. There is no shelving at all.... pretty dumb in my opinion. I need some shelves to put stuff on. Since I have some of these new tools now, guess I need to see if I can use them. For now I am going to get stuff in the upper cabinets like some of the food. That will get more stuff off the floor.
I have a kitchen table and chairs that was in my parents house in Ct.... I am not using them so are perfect to get moved up here into the DR to use now. It will give me some place to put the computer to use it much easier, and that will make it easier to get the bedroom ready to get the bureaus and stuff in and set where I think I want them.

I am looking forward to go to Patsy's for the day tomorrow. I think I am going to load some stuff at the house in the car tonight since it can set in the car and then I can just unload in the morning. Then I can do the chickens and then go. They are about 1 1/2 hrs away.... so if I leave by 10:30 I can be there by noon, and leave in time to get home before too late.

Hope everyone has a nice TURKEY DAY tomorrow.......

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom ....ds is offering the help of the gf, the gf's sister and the gf's mother. No thank you right now. If they were really friends it might be different but they really are not my friends..... And the mother is a nice person in a way, but I am just no comfortable with them. DS just doesn't see it and I am not going to make things worse. He will help with the big stuff..... I am just not ready for him to come charging in here with stuff. I want the floors dry, hard, real dry and hard.......before anyone gets walking on them with shoes etc. And I want some stuff decided where I want it, so when they come in there is not alot of dragging furniture across the nice new floors either. So I will move things as it suits me the next few days/weeks... until I really have to have help with stuff that is too big or cumbersome for me to move. I will get the kitchen table and chairs moved, I can roll the table right out and onto a blanket in the back of the truck. Chairs are not exceptionally heavy that I can't handle them.
Don't know how I keep hitting a button to change the type...:barnie

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have a Happy Thanksgiving with your friend. You can relax and enjoy yourself. Taking stuff a little at a time is a much better way to move. Get help with the big stuff and do as much as you can. Much easier to move stuff, put it up and not have boxes stacked to the ceiling.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving night to all. Had a good meal with friends, ate too much. Never even touched the desserts and wish I had brought some home.... Oh well.....

Sun and mild today; low 70's . Beautiful weather. Going to get some rain by Monday then temps are supposed to drop to the 40's-20's.... BRRR.

Came up and brought 5 drawers from the one dresser this morning. Did the chickens, checked oil and stuff in the car and changed clothes and went. Got home after dark, so will fill the buckets in the morning and bring them up to the house when I come.
Plan to load another bunch of stuff in the car and bring it with me in the morning. Going to move some of the accumulation in the BR from where I got everything out of the LR before the sanding, and vacuum the one side and figure out where I am going to put the bed and then the dressers. Then I can at least put the stuff there close. There are alot of clothes that I don't wear, and probably never will wear again since I don't work in a "public" environment.... I mean really, clean jeans are really more than sufficient for the cows and a nice sweater will not impress them, nor will it clean easily from their splatters.... I am seeing Yard Sale next year. No sense in hoarding stuff I will not wear and some that I can't get into either. I have some decent stuff I will keep, but it is not like I am going back into the workplace or do alot of socializing either.
I am going to do some more boxes so that I can start packing up the stuff in the cabinets. Don't have everything in them here yet.... trying to get a feel for the "flow" of the kitchen and not have to move stuff too many times. Really have to get some sort of shelves in the bottom ones.

Tomorrow I will go get the tractor and rake and bring it home from the field where we last made hay. Then someone can take me back to get the car. I am thinking that DS probably won't cut the last field of orchard grass at this point; but I have been known to be wrong at second guessing him. It should have been done a month ago when I wanted to . Water under the bridge.
The parts are ordered for the 2wd drive for the clutch and slave cylinder and all. Heater core too I think. Also have to get a fuel pressure regulator for the 4x4. It seems that the fuel pump is "drowning" out the plugs with too much fuel and fouling them so they quit firing. A friend of ds said that he had trouble with his ranger years ago with that. Supposedly it is not an expensive thing. If that doesn't take care of it then a new fuel pump. There are 2 fuel pumps on this truck.... one to pump it out of the tank and then one to pick up that fuel and pump it into the ignition part (plugs).... Always something.
Car does still sound loud.... got one tire that was soft, so am going to have to take it in and see where the slow leak is. Runs okay, but only got 26 mpg on the first tank I put through it. Getting that or better on the 2wd. Got over 30 on the forrester.... still think I am going to get a new reman engine to put in it....once I get in the house and get my finances a little better.

Everything else is quiet. DS sent me a text before, to say happy turkey day.... he was hunting. Funny how he never cared for hunting much for years, said he just didn't enjoy it much.... now with her, he is hunting most every day. Oh well.
As soon as I get a little more space made, am going to put everything out of that one freezer into the cooler chest, and get it defrosted and see what I have for room.

Time to go down the hill and maybe get some more stuff loaded in the car this evening and then box some other. There is a good sized pile to go to the dumpsters.... wanted to just throw it all in the truck since I have some stuff outside to get rid of too.... need to just put it all to one side out of the way.
I will be going to bed early too... this overstuffed meal is making me sleepy!!!!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Partly cloudy but supposed to be more sun by early afternoon. Not as warm as yesterday but still pretty decent. Didn't get anything loaded in the car so ready to go do that. Had to come up to the chickens... they went to greet the neighbor when he opened the gate to the christmas tree lot because the "poor things" were out of feed and just starving :lol: :lol: . I mean they waddle when they run 5 feet .......Got them fed and they have maybe migrated 10 ft from the feeders to the edges of the holly tree and other bushes there.:th:lol:

I did go through some more stuff last evening and have another pile of papers to shred..... made up some more boxes. I am going to go get all the buckets full of feed then hopefully the sun will be out a bit more and I will go get the tractor and rake.
Put the runner in the entry way cross ways in front of the door, so I can go in and out the door without getting the floor scratched. It's been 72 hours. It will make bringing in things into the bedroom alot easier. Not going to bring anything in on the LR floor yet. Give it a couple more days I think. Going to get another runner to put longways down the hall to help protect it a bit, since it is a direct route to the DR and will get a fair amount of traffic. No sense in scuffing it up right off the bat.
I want to get the kitchen table up here so I can set up the computer in the DR or else get something to put it on so I can start to arrange the BR. Thinking I am going to put the head of the bed up against the wall where the "mantle" is for the non-existent fireplace (where there is a thimble for the stove that was there way back when). Since I am thinking that I will have to put the "sewing center" table in here, trying to figure out the best placement. Square rooms are hard to figure with doors and windows in most every wall..... LR and BR are exactly the same size with similar door/windows in each wall.... not sure about the placement of things in the LR either. Need to get some of those coasters to go on the bottom of the furniture so that they don't scratch the floor getting moved. Yes, I realize that it will get scratched up over time... just want to not do a bunch of marks/scratches/gouges right off the bat. Plus I may want to move things around by myself, once I get things in the room. So don't want to be tearing up the floor shoving things into different spots.

Everyone have a nice "Black Friday" I stopped all the shopping at 4 a.m. stuff years ago. Grand Piano and Furniture has a big sale on mattresses... I might go take a look at that... I really need a new mattress.....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just got done getting the tractor and rake back to the farm. Sun didn't come out much, it was chilly but not unbearable. Better than if it was only 40 degrees. DS said that he is planning on cutting that last orchard grass if we get a good week....Whatever. It won't take long to rake it if he does so not a big time consumer.

Going to head down the hill and see about getting some stuff to bring back up. Then lock in the chickens for the night so that they do not go running to the gate for the christmas tree farm in the morning with the first vehicles that come in. Got all the buckets I had handy, filled, so they will have a full feeder in the shelter for their early morning feeding. But I don't want them wandering over that way, even though it is on the other side of the big pines that are along the boundary line.

Part of the old apple tree is down. We had some wind Wed night and think it might have come down then. Didn't notice it Thursday morning. I am not sure if it even produces. Looks like it split off near the ground, it is like almost 2 main trunks that come up from the ground. Previous owners said they don't remember when it had last been pruned. Would make good wood for smoking something...it will get cleaned up and cut up eventually.

Think I might work on getting the cabinets situated this evening. Make a list of some things I need to pick up like those coaster things for the chair legs for the LR, another runner for the hall.... I can also get the baseboard heater panels on in the LR and the hallway too and get them off the porch. And all the switchplate and plug covers back on in the LR. Need to get the paints and stains off the porch and into the house before we get a real cold freezing spell. Going to put them up in the storage room up top of the stairs I guess. As long as it stays above freezing, they will be okay, and it is out of the way up there. I will keep a thermometer up there to check on it.

One of my dairy farmers passed away on Monday. Was bush hogging some corn stalks, and came in the house to eat lunch and slumped to the floor and was gone. He was 81. Had registered Holsteins and had good functional cows. They sold out about 2 years ago when he couldn't find anyone decent to milk when his other guy left after many years. Still was raising hay and other crops. His son has a couple of turkey houses but would not milk cows. I just found out, the funeral is tomorrow. I am going to try to go. Outside graveside service so I guess it is still okay to do.
Sad to be losing all the dairymen that were true cowmen.... they loved their cows and worked to make the breed better. Born and raised and died on the same farm....hope that I go like that, doing what I love.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am glad that you had a good Thanksgiving with your friend. Good food, good company and a good time.

Little by little you are getting things packed up and moved. That is the best way.

I have a mental picture of the horde of starving CCX swarming the Christmas Tree lot :lol: gate. ATTACK!!! He might have FOOD!!! :lol:

I'm very sorry about your dairy farmer friend. 81 is a good age, nobody can complain about that, but he will be missed. It sounds like he lived a good life, right where he wanted to be, doing what he loved. We all should be so fortunate to go out doing what we love to do.