Farmerjan's journal - Weather

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
All my culverts got backflushed between 2 am and now, so they should be clear..
dec2018fl.jpg

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gee, that looks familiar.:hide

37° and raining this morning. We passed our normal annual rainfall total sometime back in July. Florence's "official" contribution was about 23" at the airport, though some areas received in excess of 30". We are now closing in on 100" of rain for the year . . . and that's at the airport, where for some odd reason the numbers are almost always lower than in backyard rain gauges even a mile or less away.

Some of the locals that grow hay had none to sell this year, except maybe some rounds of "cow hay." For some, it has been a combination of timing and possibly divine intervention - a storm soaked fields half a mile away, but left their curing hay untouched. Trying to grow anything has been a major challenge; fertilizer and chemical treatments have gotten washed away before they can do any good, and muddy conditions have made harvesting difficult to impossible in places . . . not to mention crops that got flattened.

Even city dwellers are paying a price for so much rain. Here we are, almost 3 months post-Florence, and the crews are still out picking up vegetative storm debris. Florence had only category 1 winds when she came ashore, but the sheer volume of the mess she created has exceeded that of Diana, Floyd and Fran. A lot of the trees that came down were uprooted, because the roots couldn't hold in the saturated soil. Some of the damage is more subtle; the water gets down in the cracks in pavement, softening the foundation material and creating potholes everywhere.

I'm reminded of the joke about the old farmer who died, and when they did an autopsy, they found he was chock-full of 'nextyears' . . . you have to keep looking ahead, 'cause sometimes the view right now looks pretty nasty.

Stay warm and dry, y'all.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, we are getting the snow. Started about 6-630 and it is coming down fine and very steady. SOOOOOO glad we got the hay that was raked done and in the barn. Baler put in and the wagon in the other barn. Got grain sorghum silage fed in the bunk so all the cows with calves that we worked can get in too. My son had to go in to work last night at midnight, even though it didn't start til this morning, he is now feeding some extra round bales at 3 places, then will come home hopefully by noon and crash til he has to go back in tonight at 8. They work 12 hour shifts when there is weather. I fed hay in the manger for the calves to come in the creep gate where I keep the nurse cows, and they have 3 rolls out in the field so are good.
It is supposed to clear out by tonight, 3-6 inches expected now since the storm is tracking a little further north. Southern Va is getting hammered and NC too.
I'm hoping we don't lose power, that would be a pain.
Stay safe everyone.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Dang GB... Thought you said it would be several days before the water rise got to you? Sure looks like it's happening... Sorry to hear the road is flooded out again, but glad the culverts should be clear. Jan... You and your son be careful in that winter weather over there! Glad to hear the hay operation happened in a timely manner. Hope everyone keeps their power and stays warm and dry. Still overcast here though the storm center itself is way over in GA with FL, the Carolinas, and southern VA getting all the action now. I am seeing blue sky trying to peek through here. It's a little breezy, and the temp has dropped quite a bit. 40°f right now with a forecast high of 46/47°. Sub freezing next 2 nights, then slow gentle temp rise till more wet weather come Thursday/Friday. Goats got fed out in the pasture this morning vice in their shelter. Still have "streams" running across all of my property. The creek/stream is full. It's gonna be up and draining for several days I'm sure.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got S N O W !!! Yes, woke to 30 degrees and snow. Too cold to rain. Weather showed I was on "the line" for rain/mix, well line moved :( and it has been snowing several hours. Seems to have almost stopped now but, I have 3" of WET snow. Ya know, that means tonight I will have ICE. Should be melted and gone by Tuesday -- predicting 60 degrees Thur & Fri :idunno

Slipped and slid to barns...where everyone was waiting, looking out at "what is this??" Carried hay to everyone, fed loose chickens who were under roofs, left those in coops in there -- plenty of room, feed, water. Best place for them. I came back inside and hunkered down. It's cold, wet, windy! Didn't go to work, had job moved to Tuesday. Has now stopped snowing, very windy. Very slick out there. I got little compared to many but, enough to aggravate me. :hide

No internet until last 1/2 hr as storm moved out and allowed signal to arrive. I expected rain and flurries. Surprise!! No rain. 20 miles out, NW of me, they had rain and a "few flakes" per a friend.

I hate snow! It's hard to deal with when you don't have it often. (Don't want to LEARN by having more!) Lot of coffee today. :caf Stay safe, everyone.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, our snow is done and the sun is out. Got better than 8 INCHES.... boy I'd like to be a weatherman and be able to be wrong half the time and still have my job security by saying....according to how the storm tracks..... Was 26 this morning is up to 45 in the sun... and BLINDING white out there. It will be melting, then tonight is supposed to be in the teens so will all freeze and make it very treacherous in the morning.
Schools were all cancelled here which was good to allow VDOT to get some work done on the roads without all the extra traffic. Haven't talked to my son, I imagine he got off at 8 after a 12 hr shift, did what he had to with the animals and went to bed. They will at least be working another 12 tonight I am sure. If there were any problems he would have called or texted me. So I am going out to take the 4wd ranger up to the pasture where the nurse cows are, and make sure the calves get some grain and have hay and feed those cats. Then all according to what the roads look like, may run to town. Ran out of brown thread and have been spending the cold snowy day(s) inside doing some catch up sewing/patching. Need to get some more clothes folded and put away that are still in the basket, and some serious house cleaning done. I hate house cleaning, rather be out in the barn.... May do some baking later as it will warm up the house. If the drain for the kitchen sink thaws, I will be able to do dishes.... that is an ongoing PIA, as the pipe goes out through the wall, freezes all the time and it does not drain as someone who piped it made it with a L shape that leans towards the house and not down so water sits in that spot and freezes all the time. Landlord won't do anything and when the sun gets on that side of the house, it usually thaws... but it is a pain like yesterday when it never got above 29.... Hope to not be here more than another year or so, so I just live with it.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses I saw on the radar where your weather was changing to rain. But it didn't warm up all that much did it? So really a nasty cold, wet mess. :sick
I got up to the pasture, fed the calves and filled the hay feeder in the barn for them. I decided not to make a special trip to town, too cold and the temp was dropping fast as soon as the sun was going down. Came home and the drain still didn't thaw so no dishes will get done tonight. :somad:somad :rant:rantAt least the water in the bathroom doesn't have problems until it gets cold and windy and down in the 20's... I'm in for the night and going to make a venison burger and some kind of a veg and probably get some more clothes folded and put away. Got a ton of socks to do. I get lazy and just pull pairs out of the basket when there is other stuff to be done..:hide..I think I will make a trip tomorrow to town and pick up some stuff and the brown thread so I can finish that heavy coat of my son's and then it can be washed with my jeans/barn/work clothes. This way I can be sure that the patch/repair will hold.
Tomorrow they are calling for mid 40's but if the sun is out it will start really melting it and the roads will hopefully get cleared off. My thermometer catches the later afternoon sun, in the winter so it really goes up cuz it's right near the brick wall of that part of the house. It said 56* this aft as the high. Makes me feel warmer :rolleyes:
My farm cancelled milk test tomorrow so I don't have to worry about fighting with the meters and hoses in the cold. But doesn't help the paycheck:idunno:idunno

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
But doesn't help the paycheck:idunno:idunno

Yep -- been working a WHOLE LOT less for past 3 week, prob next 3. It's all good until Friday :lol: Both companies I work for have had huge reduction from norm for this time of year. Come late Feb it slow picks up and Mar to Jun it's 50-60 hrs week :th Wish it could be adjusted some. But, it's how it goes.

Can you put a cover around that pipe, with clear cover, to get solar heat on there? Like a little green house. Or, is there a way inside to put a hair dryer blowing onto it?