Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Finnie

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Just a note for those of you that remember @greybeard posting on here back awhile... he and his wife have sold the farm and moved further west, closer to family and away from the wetter area he had lived in for 20 or more years. They are going to move into a suburban house and "live out their lives" there... He said he is not able to do as much as he wants to, and they were so tired of the constant wet and flooding near the national forest land where they were. He has had back and hip problems and has been diagnosed with congestive heart failure...diabetic also. So he said it is not fair to burden with his wife with farming, fences and all that. He says he needs to find a place to go fishing...he is not in any dire straits at this point, but said it is time to make a change...
I wish him well... he is still on the one cattle forum I frequent... and I think that there are some other Texas members that will make it a point to keep up with him...maybe close enough to get him to come visit when he needs a "cow fix"...
So sad to hear that Greybeard is having health issues. I imagine it will be hard for him to live in the suburbs. I don’t know why he left BYH, but maybe he will start to have time on his hands and come back and visit us again some time. Thank you for the update.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Part of greybeard's leaving was the ones that are too "involved emotionally with their animals... you have to understand a "crusty old farmer/rancher" that does it for realistic reality reasons and those that are so "in love with" their animals that they don't take any kind of practical advice well. I get people getting emotionally involved with their animals... but I find that I also have less patience for people that don't get practical with the realities of having "food animals" for a purpose... not for the "feel good" type of stuff. I think it is an "age thing".... although my father was so wound up with their dog that it was like a child... along with the bad manners and all...
But anyway... his health problems are slow culmination of hard years and work and all... he is in his mid 70's... and he said it is only fair that after 28 years of his wife doing things "his way" that he make it easier on her...
Bless him for that consideration...

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The DIL for across the road is a "better than you BIT#H"... The son she is married to is a jerk... and kow tows to her... he is a wimp. Both are DR's.... know it all.... their daughter is a snooty little reincarnation of the mother...
NO, the father says, no, not going to move the fence... don't want cattle guards.... they are just being jerks. DS has offered to run fence so they can drive up to the house, not have any cow manure in the driveway or near the house... let them have the whole area up around there for the summer without having to open a gate anywhere... There is more money than brains there.... the mother has inherited several pieces of property... houses all sit empty... spends money like it was going out of style.... has had 2 bouts with cancer... she's nice but ditzy...

Got the red cow and her calf in this morning plus all the bull calves that needed worked... texted DS and he said he was leaving work early so would come by with the trailer and get them. Then the cow that had the holstein calf grafted on her last year came up and got her and 2 of the other momma cows for the bull calves in. I told DS that they needed to get moved with the ones that had fall calves on them, so that the calves can all come off at the same time and he won't have to go there special to get the them out when it is time to sell them. So I have 3 more cows left to get in there... Moved the calves all to the barn and he and I worked them - castrated and shots - so all I need is the other 2 cows and then they can get run out with the ones with calves the same size and all get brought in for weaning and preg checks at the same time. Also got in a heifer calf that needed weaning, her momma is thin... she is pushing 7 months... and have 2 other heifers that need to be gotten in if I can catch them.
But the best thing is the red cow and her calf as they are nearly impossible to find up near the catch pen and get in without a dozen other cows.
What I told DS is that the 1st calf heifers there can all stay with their spring born calves, the bull there can breed them back, and then there won't be so many there either for this summer. And all the calves will be the same age/size. Several of the babies are already coming in the creep gate into the barn for their "daytime siesta" so that is perfect. They will learn to come in for grain, most are already tagged but the bulls are not banded yet... and it will cut the numbers there... and get all the ones out that have the bigger calves that were born right when I had my knees replaced.

DS is going to run the red cow and her calf up into the back lot and the 2 cows that suck on other cows... after I put the weaning flap in their noses... and see if that breaks them... I can watch them there... and put the others out with the fall cows there at the farm for later this summer when we preg check. If either of these 2 comtinue to suck... and one is real bad with it... then they will get sold. In fact we are talking taking the one in 3 weeks ... with her calf.... to the bred cow sale and taking the red cow as a cull cow...

So we got that done, I came home, and there are 2 cows in my yard...:barnie:he. Called DS he said call if I can't get them in. Got the grain bucket, they followed me to the gate and put them in the front lot next door... Called DS and he came up with some hay as they are reaching through this D@#%ED high tensile wire and just pushed their way out. It is the worst stuff ....I HATE IT. If it is not hot then it is useless... and this was not put up to be electrified.... plus the fence is constantly being run through by the deer.... got them back into the field where they were in, pulled the high tensile a little tighter... spaced it a little better... hope they will stay there for awhile....
Then my allergies kicked in full force, pill wore off... so I came in to eat lunch and took pill and going to go back up to pasture and see if I can get those 2 cows in and maybe one or both of the heifers and then they will go to doug's with the others and we will work the 2 cows through the chute and then see.
DS had to go to court for an accident he was "involved in"... not his doing... so will be back in awhile. He is going to finish unloading the trailer finally at his house and then it has to go back to the guy it belongs to... we borrowed it go to north ....Always something to make life interesting...

Left a note for the guy to come do the garden... so hope that is today or tomorrow... Asked DS what tractor I could put the tiller, he got, on to work the garden up next week... he said he will figure something out... I said I hated to bother him about it... he said not a problem... he would see to it that it got done...:fl

Need a drink and think I can go back out and not have the allergies make me want to die... :fl:fl...

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
So glad you posted an update on greybeard. I always liked his posts and miss them. It's nice that they moved from the flood zone. Couple yrs there I though we had lost them! They may not be in a farm situation now but, one day most of us won't be. It will work out for them.

Rich, occasional neighbors...they won't even care about the re tax increase but they might find how much grass grows without those full time mowers. :lol: maybe some visiting wildlife will brighten their days. 😁

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just saw them mowing a 15 acre hay field this morn, across the street. One mowing, another coming after to fluff and spread out....air and sun! Guess it's best chance at a window, the stuff is 2.5' and heading! Weather "suggests" well get some light rains wed night/Thu morn but sun and 90s until sun night. Humidity ok now, increasing Fri to sat. 🤷. Hope it goes well cause it's a LOT of hay! Another 18 over there that needs it....only so many things to do.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, things worked out really good this afternoon. I went up to the pasture and got the one cow and both "heifers in, and realized that the one heifer is more than big enough to be bred... might already be bred, so let her back out. The other cow would not come in; she headed in the other direction and I was not going to "run her" and get her upset. So, I locked #4 and heifer #50 in the bigger side of the catch lot and barn.
Went and filled up the truck, then the forester and then the explorer since gas was going up again...Spent over $100. and none were more than 1/2 empty...
Came back to the house after that and DS texted me and said he ought to be there about 5:30 or 5;45 if all went well. I went back up about 5:30 and low and behold, there is the #8 that wouldn't come in, AND #50's momma was talking to her heifer through the gate. I put #4 and #50 in the barn, shut the door and opened the gate and put some grain in the feeders and in came #5 (50's momma) and then after a few minutes #8 came in with 2 others that I didn't need. I let everyone eat grain ... I had only given them about 1 gallon total...as a reward and then opened the barn door, 5 went right in, then 8 went in.... so I shut it and then opened the lot gate and let the others out I didn't need.
DS called me and said he would be a little bit and he was sorry and I said no problem, I had managed to get the one in I wanted... I didn't even tell him about 5... she was an after thought... but she should be 3-5 months preg so needs to be checked with the rest and her heifer is pretty nice so she can just go out with the group at doug's and then they will all get checked and calves weaned or sold all at the same time.
That means that everyone is out of the nurse cow pasture with bigger calves... and only one cow still there... that could have come out...the heifer #48 that went to doug's earlier today; but she is near on impossible to get near the pen, so will wait until sometime she just goes in there on her own with a group. She could be 4-5 months preg but is pretty thin, so I think not. If she has a calf in the fall... oh well. And there is one other cow that is a bit lame that we have just left there with the heifers and she gets bred back everytime... her calf died back in the winter sometime... so her preg status is unknown. If it works out, she will get caught up sometime to get checked. She could have bred back after losing her calf...

So, I finally got home about 7:30. Need to eat and my legs are telling me that they are not liking this new "get back to work routine".... TOUGH beans.... I will take a good hot shower in a bit and eat something... stomach is growling.
DS said we will work that other heifer and put the "nose flap weaning things" in the 2 cows noses tomorrow. Then get them moved out with the other cows and get them back out of the barn lot and off the feed bill too.

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Heard some noise and went out and here was the guy to do the garden, he hadn't seen my note and he was gone earlier when I had gone by. He wanted to come do it before it rained... That was SO NICE of him. His wife came in the car and followed so no one would hit him on the tractor...
He got it done just as it was getting dark.... It turned over nice and I am tickled... he only wants $30 so tomorrow I will take him $40 and a chicken from the freezer for them to cook. She works full time and I think he is on disability... he got hurt at work years ago I think my DS said... he putters and does what he can when he is not hurting... He may even be on SS now... but I REALLY REALLY appreciated it. Now I am getting excited about a garden.... If it rains, the worst part is done... and then if DS can get it tilled in a few days, all according to the rain amounts... I will be able to plant and mulch and be done...

:celebrate:yesss::highfive::bunny:bunny:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:woot:weee:weee:bow:love:thumbsup:clap:clap:clap

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m real happy for you that you got the garden plowed. A garden is on the way! Really nice of that guy to get it done.

Thanks for the update on Greybeard. I’m glad they are out of the river bottom, no way I’d want to be in a flood zone like that. Kinda sorry at the same time, they had a good life there, but he’s doing the right thing for his own health and his wife.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got a few minutes... just got back from a trip to sharp shopper... wanted to get there early enough to get some of the "day old" bread they bring... Arnold and Pepperidge Farm ... the bigger "country style" stuff for 1.59 a loaf instead of the 2.89-3.59 at the groc stores...
Picked up a bunch of Gatorage for DS got some other stuff I wanted... DS drinks alot of it with work and all... and I got the 32 oz ones for $.99 each.... and went to the Walmart near there and found the Hershey's syrup there in the big jugs.... used to be 8.19 and now is 9.29 or something... but it keeps forever if it is not opened... and that is my one small concession to "extras" .... chocolate milk. Plus they had some actual 1/2 gallons of ice cream... for the same price as the 48 oz ones... got several to stick in the freezer....
Also found the kind of allergy pills that actually work.... "chlor tabs"... only last 4 hours but they do not make me sluggish or feel like I am spaced out or grumpy.... the walmart I normally go to has not had them in ages.

Got home and guess what... THE GARDEN GOT TILLED.... DS said he did not do it so it must have been Sam.... I can not believe it... I sure didn't expect it... So I will take him more money that he wanted and a chicken... they weren't home yesterday and I was so tired that I didn't go back out after I did the cow... It looks like it tilled up REAL NICE... and the soil was dry enough that it is a smooth looking seedbed... Got to get to planting it the next couple of days...it is too hot right now and DS is talking about getting some cows moved to pasture if he can get them down off the hill and into the barn... It is a little hot to be working them even. It is 88 out there now and the humidity is getting up a bit.

So, I guess lunch is over....waiting for him to call... he was getting off work early as they were going to work through lunch he said so they could leave early.
WOW and just WOW.....