Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Will not use the new bull until this fall/winter... We have bulls out with all the cows now, and these pregs were with the registered Limousin Bull I bought a couple years ago. Not too thrilled with the one that is only 35 days as she has been in there since late NOv. and should be in the 5 month range like the bigger group. I am not too upset by the couple of older ones being only 4 months... the winters are hard on them feeding a new calf, keeping up their body weight, gaining some and then cycling and sustaining a pregnancy. But the one that is "short bred" is DS's so it is his call.
There are actually 2 "new bulls"... DS bought one a couple of months ago at the stockyard... there is a guy who raises about 10-15 a year and advertises them and brings them to the stockyard to sell... so really a mini bull sale.... just convenient to bring them to the "yard" as he is in WVA ....
We have one big bull that has become a PITA to get in and he needs to go....plus he is getting so fat.... and we sold the one that was shooting blanks and lost the old red bull. The Limi will get leased out this year for the summer to a neighbor that uses a bull every year... 15-20 cows.. at most... right now he is "resting" with the bred cows. The one that they had for the last 2 years is out with some of our cows this year. There will be 3 or 4 here for the summer with no "job".... the one needs the rest that had been in with the red bull .... they had been out breeding, then back for a week or 2 and then that group came up open and he and the red bull went right in with them.... so "black Powder" needs a rest this summer... those cows mostly all came up 50-60 days bred after we put the 2 bulls in so they worked....2 will be the 2 new younger bulls and one will be the older easy calving bull since we don't have any heifers being bred now. The ones that calved at the nurse cow field are in with the other easy calving bull and he will be going with them to DS's other place in a week or so... we get caught up on some hay and he will move a group down there.

He cut about 40 acres today he said and will cut another 10 or so tomorrow to finish up down in the one area.... he said the one field is very dry and rather thin.... not alot of volume. The other 2 places look pretty decent. Got 4 different fields down at the place where the one field is thin... 3 are just grass hay and the thin one is a planting of orchard grass that is starting to play out I guess....

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
They cut about 10 acres across street today. Thick but way mature and headed out. 🤷. They may round bale it. Good grass just weather wait issues. He tedded this afternoon. So thick. Prob have to do again. Has no livestock, just makes and sells hay.

Upper 80s but 15 mph winds all day. I did some garden planting in slow mode.😁. No rush 4 more days at home. But lots to do!!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I went and did the cow this morning, went to the farm 125 miles north. Got to the feed store there a little before closing and they did not have the "darts" we use for the dart gun for when an animal has pinkeye out at pasture... did pick up 2 more bottles of tetanus toxoid to use on the bull calves when we band... it was 27.99 and 2 months ago they were 19.99..... 10 shots to a bottle... Getting expensive for even that.
They had several "mint plants" and 1 was spearmint... and I got one. It will get planted in a contained "tub planter as mint spreads and "takes over"... but it just smelled so good.

Got home, picked up a bag of feed to get me through the weekend with the nurse cow and went and turned her out. Came home and feel like I got rode hard and put away wet. No stamina or strength.
DS called and said "they" were going to the local carnival to eat and all with the kids and did I want to go. I politely declined... don't feel up to dealing with or being nice to the kids when I am tired like this. I shouldn't be like this, but I just can't get "into things" with them. Not going to try to push myself when I am still feeling the effects of this cold/virus and being tired too.
I am going to go out and look at the "garden" WEEDS is more like it I think. See what of the recently planted stuff has come up... then go to bed early.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Recording thermometer says it was 62 this morning and got up to 79. Breezy all day and the sun was out... real nice. Clear clean crisp day out there... All our hay is way overmature also... brown and seed heads... but it will make good filler hay. ANYTHING beats snowballs if it is real cold and nasty.... it will work for the cows that are dry and expecting spring calves if we mix it in with some good rolls and some fair rolls. We will have some silage for the cows for the winter....cows with fall calves and any feeders he keeps.... Guess we will just see how the season goes.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That was a good explanation on cow teeth. I know their bottom teeth can wear down, just didn’t think about their molars. Stands to reason their molars would wear out too.

Ringo’s front teeth, bottom only like a cow, are long and crooked. I’ll do whatever I need to do. Heck, if all he can eat is oatmeal and soaked alfalfa pellets, then that’s what he’ll get. I guess I oughta take a look at his molars next time I get him in a chute. He probably won’t like it. LOL

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
DS called and said "they" were going to the local carnival to eat and all with the kids and did I want to go. I politely declined...
For once, the cold had a purpose..a valid excuse.😁

We're having cool weather for next 3 days with low humidity. Will work nicely for me. Easier to work garden 👍. And nice to not have sweat soaked clothes on an exhausted body. After the outside in mid 90s all day yesterday, I was wiped! To bed at 9. We're looking at mid 70 days and low 60 nights. Springtime!

He probably won’t like it. LOL
:lol:. Probably not!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Beautiful COOL 50 this morning... 62 in the house. Today and tomorrow supposed to be the same then back into the 90's . I will take any and all of these sort of days. Had to put a light blanket on the bed last night. Headed to the cow then to see what the plans are for moving the tractor, rake etc down to the one field he said I should probably rake first... the one that is thinner.
Want to get some garden time in today if possible. Got to pack the samples for shipment tomorrow and get bottles for tomorrow's herd ready ahead of time.
Just enjoying the weather.....this is why I like fall... this morning is reminiscent of the cool crisp fall mornings we had up north when I was a kid.