Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I used to make lead ropes and tie out ropes with braided baling string. Sold a bunch years ago when things were tight money wise to different people... Back then you could buy a ring, braid it into the end, then add a snap to it and if it got broken, just put a new snap on it. Used to mix the plain colored twine with the green to make them more attractive. Still braid them for different things. Great to make quick halters and lead ropes all in one....
And yep, we tied everything together with them, fixed holes in fences, tie downs across loads on trucks/trailers... tied every gate to a post ... drags for brush or whatever.... you name it, we used it for everything.
As you can see, I still use it for everything. Made the row marker "string" with baling twine... just tie more together til it is long enough.
And I like the green for lead ropes, it just looks nice.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Monday. We had some showers yesterday, but only .15 inch of rain in the gauge. It stayed mostly cloudy all day too. 68 up to 84.

It was cloudy this morning and we got a small shower. Have not looked to see if it registered in the gauge. I did work out in the garden a little, pulling some weeds down the potato rows and finished weed eating out to the garden. DS hasn't been here to look at the mower yet.
I did the cow and put feed in the barn for the calves but when it is cooler like that they aren't in as much. I did go back up around 2 and most of the feed was gone but there were only 3 calves in there and the rest were out with the cows; just lounging around. So tomorrow I am going to go back up there like around noon to see who is in.
Still have this nagging headache.... and my chiropractor is on vacation this week.

I hope to get out there this afternoon/eve and work around the melons and winter squash plants.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Went up and did cow and then came home and took the weedeater and did an area around each bunch of squash and melon vining plants this evening. There were 2 deer out in the back yard, near the garden and I made enough noise and chased them off. One was a buck that was sporting a nice set of velvet already.
Sorry S.O.B.'s.....

Weather has shifted and the humidity is gone out of the air. We had sun this afternoon. Supposed to be sun and nice through Friday.... I don't know if he cut any hay this afternoon...

500 cow herd wants to put off testing another week or so. I have 2 that I have to call for this week.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Clear crisp NICE 57 to start. Already up to 77 and sun is out. No humidity today. Going to be mid 80's but will be more comfortable without the humidity.
Headed up to the cow, then have a few errands to run. Haven't gone anywhere since last week, and that was with the friends just around to see the cows and crops and stuff. Guess last time anywhere was when I tested last Monday?.
Assuming that DS will be cutting hay today so raking and all will be in the plan the next couple of days. Radar showing 30 % chance on Friday eve....
We have had timely rains so the grass has grown alot. It has been great for the garden. Way too much grass on the lawn that desperately needs mowing. I was looking yesterday and see little tiny squash with flowers real tight so ought to have some flowering in a week or so. Tomatoes are coming along, and there are peppers... several of the "Black Beauty" ones so they are easy to see... dark purple against the green plants. Potatoes are getting some flowers.
Time to get going so I can get home to see if the calves are in around noon.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I miss having a garden! Darn ground squirrels! I don't have any geraniums left either, apparently the ground squirrels will eat geraniums - contrary to the online info of plants they don't like. The Rosemary and Society Garlic is still ok though, so I guess that is all I will be planting in the future. I am going to take the scraps and leftover faux grass ("faux" sounds much classier than "fake"! LOL) and cover the narrow planter (that used to have geraniums) then put in fake (sorry "faux) flowers for color. There is a store here that sells nothing but artificial greenery and flowers. They carry a lot of the fake stuff that the movie people use for their sets. I can also get some cheaper stuff at the dollar stores since it will fade. I used to decorate the pool deck (when we had our Doughboy pool and deck) with the hanging fence grain feeders, with pots of artificial flowers. It really looked pretty for parties and BBQs. Then I would store all the flower pots away in a deck box between parties! Lasted for years. No more pool and no more pool deck now, but artificial flower plants in the flower beds might work. Darn ground squirrels! :smack

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did nurse cow, feed in bunk for calves. Did some errands and came back by the barn and there are about 8 or so calves in there and most are tagged so I shut the gate so they cannot get in and out the creep gate. Will let DS know for after he gets done mowing. Talked to him earlier and I stopped and picked up some parts also when I was out and he said he was going to mow today. Then will just have to get the momma cows in later to match.

Got home, am going to eat some lunch. It is 80 out, sun is hot but it is nice in the shade with no humidity. Got the holiday cactus's all under the table so they don't get scalded from the sun. I need to read up on them but I don't think they should have direct hot sun all day, maybe for a bit. Got to figure out how to kill the poison ivy along the edge of the deck where the lilac bush is.... it is partly shaded there from the lilac and would be a good place to put the cactus plants but I cannot get near it.....and I am afraid of chemicals that could kill the lilac.