Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some days are strange....AND this "hot spot" thing is a reason we both need to get smart phones! :lol: :lol: :old. Yet, we resist. 🙄🤷. I'm off today and making a run to town for some things this morn while grass is wet. I may check out the new T-Mobile phone store.🤫🤔. Been on Verizon maybe 30 yrs but they want me to BUY a new phone. DD has T and says they'll give me a free phone...? Her service is just as good and I'm in if phone comes with switch! I am just horrified to spend hundreds for a darned phone! Her unlimited isn't much cost wise and she gave up her satellite internet. I'd give up mine. Also, I could have net anywhere -- after I learned how to do a hot spot 🤣🤣🤣. Soooo out of the new stuff! Ya know, a phone costs more than 2 big rolls of fence!! 🙄😲😩😁😁

Plus...battery in my tablet is dying. Cheaper to buy another tablet than replace the battery by the time you get done. :idunno :somad

Thanks for the commercial milking info....just curious. I'm sticking with hands on 🤗

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m using hot spot internet here at sons house. When I move to farm, I’ll use a land phone line. Owners have a land line that they can receive calls on, but can’t call out, except for 911. It’s $51 a month and no internet interruption when a storm comes like a satellite. They use Hulu for TV, so no $90 satellite TV. I’m on Direct Tv so will have to keep it until my contract expires.

Check your phone company and see what they offer.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not the kind of day I was planning. Had to tedd out the hay at both fields that i had raked yesterday when we got the totally unexpected and not forecast showers. The windrows were too wet to dry as is.
First I had to go get the tedder which was still at Dennis's where we had used it last. Had to remove the pto shaft, put it on the back of the truck, and lifting the tedder tongue to get on the hitch was not fun...because the hitch was higher than the simple jack stand on the tedder. Got to doug's barn, had to unhook the rake from the 4600 ford tractor... get the tedder hooked up and I had to try for nearly 20 minutes to get the pto shaft back on the tedder end... it seems to have to be at the perfect angle... and it is heavy enough that I was having trouble trying to balance it and shove it on... BUT FINALLY... Went and tedded out the first field then did the 2nd field. DS was off work by then, he came to barn just as I finished getting the tedder unhooked, and the rake hooked back up to the tractor.
:duc :thSo he was going to take the tedder out to the 20+ acre place to do the upper field there as it is usually pretty heavy... and I went to rake all the hay again. It dried pretty good, a couple of "heavy spots" but not going to leave it to get wet again. DS came from the field out at the other place, and started baling here with the smaller 4x5 baler. Seems he got it to work better...did some kind of adjustment... I was raking the 2nd field as he was baling the first one and he got to the 2nd field as I was doing the last 2 go rounds... I got done and headed back to the barn so I could get my car and go do the cow. Hit about 10 big drops and the sky was looking a little threatening, but I am hoping he got it all done.

He had the tractor out at the 20+ acre place that he mowed with so he could just tedd it. He will take the bigger baler out tomorrow with the truck... I will have to drive the tractor and rake out.... and he will probably start baling an hour or so behind me.

He just texted me, he got it all baled, taking the tractor and baler back to put in the shed and he is seeing sprinkling on the windshield. Thank goodness all that is done here. He said that they did not get any rain out at the 20 acre place yesterday.. it was VERY spotty... just right on top of the hayfields here. Didn't rain at one of the other guys that he works with that lives near the 20 acre field. Oh well, it is done here.

I'm going in to get a shower and get some sleep. It got hot out there today, 90, with very little breeze.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is my considered opinion that if you need it to be dry for any reason (crops in the field needing to be harvested or baled, removing part of your roof mid-summer for replacing, or an expensive piece of equipment left outside "because it won't rain", there will be a sudden storm blowing in and a heavy downpour. This is a trick God plays on us.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It rained last night... enough to get the 20 acre field good and damp. Clouds and humid this morning. DS and I had a discussion... he wanted it tedded so I said fine. I tedded it after calling him to figure out how to start that tractor since I only drive it once in a while... not my favorite... too big and enclosed cab and I just don't like them. Have no idea how to turn on the ac either... exhaust pipe is loose and it almost fell off after hitting a hole... called DS and he got real crappy about I must've been going too fast... got it stuck back over the piece and it stayed... tired of all this BS. THEN, after the sun came out finally, and it was trying to dry things, he says he promised her daughter to go to some "something" at 3:30 and he wouldn't be back til about 6.... after all the kibitzing about the hay needed to get done because it is going to rain for 3 days....
I am not a happy person. He said it would be good if I started raking about 5 to turn it up a bit... and so I did go there... started raking... then a big BLACK cloud came up, texted him I was stopping raking because no sense if it started to rain, and I thought for sure it was going to rain... but it went north after about a half hour so I went back to raking. So then it starts to sprinkle about 6... clouds and all; and I am pretty P.O.ed.... then he finally gets there about 6:30 and I had stopped again... then it stopped... we got into words and all about this BS of not getting things done and he started in about having a life... and this was for her birthday, and I said, you went to her BD party last week... this needed doing.... it got nasty and I left. Sun came out and I decided to go finish it...
It is done. There are several rolls that are not dry and they will get musty... not my call anymore. He finished baleing it after I left at nearly dark to go do the cow.

Alan and Heather are here, on their way home from a short notice trip to SC to see a sick friend, his brother in Fl and then to pick up the portable sawmill in Alabama... I am going up with them and then will get the truck and bring it home. This was going to maybe happen in a month, but this makes it work out just fine and no one has to co-ordinate meeting up part way. They stopped on their way down, spent time with DS seeing the cattle and all... then had a computer chip problem and got stuck with the truck (2015) and had to have some part replaced... luckily the part was available... but it was like deja vu from our trip up last time. It held them up for 1 1/2 days... they were planning on coming through here early today and us going part way today then the rest of the way Sunday... but now we will leave at 5 in the morning to give us plenty of time for traffic and all that... They both have to be to work on Monday... I will get the truck on Monday and leave to come home. I will stop in CT to see the friends that were just here a month ago... M had some minor surgery on her hammer toes or something... and I will come on down after that. They are about 4 hours south of my parents house in NH so a good break.

I will not be stopping at my sister's in Ct ... have no intention of telling anyone else I am going north to get the truck. They don't know that I didn't drive it home the last trip... and with the totally unconcerned attitude about the cleaning out of the house and all that.... no sense in my getting into a big todo with her. She will be at work anyway on Monday. Let it alone for now. I will say things I shouldn't..... her last text message was she couldn't understand why we didn't stop on the way home the last trip... she needs to do something with the boxes of cookbooks.... they are in the way of redoing the upstairs rooms... REALLY 3 frickin boxes of cookbooks.....???? Talked to M about it and she agrees that I would be better not going there right now... and will go get them if my sister can be bothered to answer back... just say that she and her daughter are thinking a trip down to see her niece... who does live in Va.... and would bring them. I tested sister back and said we were not contemplating any trips north any time soon due to farming activities in the summer weather.... that M said she would be glad to get them and bring them down next trip...
Since it was short notice about this trip she is going to try to go get them tomorrow after church if sister will answer back.... and then I will find room in the truck if they have to go on the roof!!!!!!

One good thing, the house has been on the market for 10 days and they have already had an offer... not accepting it I guess... not everyone is "in agreement" , but RE agent said that is a good sign and so hoping that they come back with a counter offer... DS said if they come back with a bit more offer, he will vote to accept it... he wants this over with. He agreed that this first offer was a little low compared to what they listed it for...of course, not being a primary beneficiary, so "not in the loop"..... I am hearing this from DS.....
I just want it done.

So there have been some showers around that didn't show up early on the radar... but in this humidity, it is to be expected. Don't care now if it does rain....
I will be glad to have a couple days away from DS and all that BS.....
Not looking forward to the trip home... but once it is done... that's it. Got tarps, bungee traps, and cargo netting to put over the stuff... hope it is not too bad traveling.
Got a few things packed, everything else I think I need... cc's and some cash.... cooler bag for cold drinks coming home...

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sometimes we need to have "those talks and blowouts" with adult children!! Good girl. 👍

Even if you fret over it, needed to happen for you both. Release for you. Thinking time for him. Might not change things but, needed said.

So relax on the drive up, safe trip back. Don't worry about that sister! :old :hugs:hugs