Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Home from testing and waiting on DS to call so we can work the 2 bull calves and the one calf with the pinkeye through the chute. He said he would let me know when he is at the barn....
Got up and took my "pre-meds" before the dentist appt.... have to do it every time I get dental work done, cleanings and all, since getting the replacements. Dumped all the plants that were full of water to the top edge from all the rain. 2.8 inches total was what I dumped out of the rain gauge, this morning.

Sample bottles in car, got done there and left to meander my way north. Took the "scenic route" up Rt. 11 which the interstate "replaced" years ago for speed and to not go through all the little towns. Stopped at a wagon with just picked sweet corn and got another dozen. Self serve, honor system payment... and I didn't have much cash on me since I had bought dinner last night at the stockyard. Didn't want to leave a check as alot of people don't like/trust them. Stopped at McAllisters to get lunch... it has pretty nice sandwiches and soups and salads... "higher end" type sandwiches... Then went to the feed store near the farm and checked for darts for the gun for shooting the calves with antibiotics, for pinkeye, out at pasture... didn't have any but found a pair of ankle boots that I could actually get my ankle/foot into... so I got them. Not cheap... along the line of muck type boots... I need something I can get on and off this ankle. Then stopped at the orchard next to the dairy and they were open til 4 p.m. and I wanted to get some peaches and they had "seconds" at half price. She said she would get a box for me.
Then tested... down to 33 cows... went back and got a box of peaches, got some good nectarines and a small bag of some HUGE "good" peaches. Came on home and got here about 5.

Looks like the rain is done with us now for a couple days... radar showing it all towards the east. The temps are supposed to drop off about 10-15 degrees... nights ought to be nice for sleeping.
Tipped all the planters and all back up right. Have to go hang all the big spider plants back up as I had taken them down with the forecast yesterday and then glad I did because of the wind and t-storms last evening.
I am going up to do the cow and then hopefully DS will call. I am tired and want to get some sleep and not set an alarm for tomorrow. Will do the corn and work on the peaches tomorrow.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule PM me your address and I will send a pint of water next day air so you can invite more to come for a visit.....

Friday morning. COOL 64 out there. Partly cloudy but the radar looks like it is passing and we will see more sunshine.... That works for me. Next few days are supposed to be cooler than normal... Interesting. 2 days of sun and then possible showers late on Sunday and then another week of 30-50% rain... Certainly has turned out to be a wetter than normal summer... One good thing is that our corn won't be stressed so will stay green longer....
Went to the farm after doing the cow and DS and I got the 3 calves in. Banded the 2 bull calves... the one is really high headed... hope this calms him down a little... the other was a nice calf... nothing outstanding but has a good build and with a nice butt... will make a real nice steer. They went back in with the other few heifers we weaned off the cows last week when we sold the steers. Treated the other one's eyes... the 3 small ones, 2 off my cows and 1 off DS's idiot cow, will stay in the barn lot there and I will feed grain and hay for the next several days. Hope her eyes clear up and then they will go to the nurse cow pasture. I will put them in the lot there and feed grain and some hay for about a week and then when they know that there is grain in the barn, will let them go out through the creep gate and graze and hope they figure out to come in through the creep gate with the others that I am graining some everyday. This way they will get fed better than DS would take care of them at the barn and have shelter if they want.... Since the ones on my nurse cow come in with the other 3 all the time now, they will have some others to "follow" and learn the routine.
Got a new calf on one of the cows we took back to the nurse cow field. It is the one we called the lame cow. She has gotten better in the last 2 years, but still has some sort of back/leg problems. She is quiet and easy going, and have her one heifer there also that is bred. She has real big front teats this time and the calf is having trouble getting on the fronts but seems to be nursing the backs real good. I am going to try to get her in and see if I can get the front 2 teats drained out so the calf can get on them better. I suspect this will be the cow's last calf, she was not supposed to be here for more than one and kept getting pregnant right away and this is her 4th calf here. But she still lays down alot so I know that the back/leg still bothers her. No sense in pushing our luck. She has had a very good, extended life here. This is a heifer calf also, so if it is decent we will keep it and continue the legacy. Time will tell.

DS wants me to move round bales today... there are all the ones on the wheat field that I thought GF was moving... but obviously she is not doing anything at the present time.... He is leaving early Sunday morning to go up to my brother's in NY state to Lake Ontario to go fishing on his boat with one of the DR's. that works on his neck/shoulder/headaches... he needs the break. He asked me last night if I would do the chickens at his house... guess she is too busy with getting her daughter ready for school next week to even help him out that way. Once a day for an hour???? Nope, easier to ask me. I wish he would get rid of the chickens, as he does not have any real interest in them anymore...he doesn't show them, and they just cause grief with his father and his constant criticism all the time. He doesn't spend any time at his house anymore.... I think things are not so great at her house lately, but he won't say anything. Not getting involved.

I did get new glasses ordered the other day. Should be here in a week. Then I can keep my old ones for the barn and stuff and at least have an extra pair. Expensive enough...$500+..... got all the "bells and whistles", a newer lighter weight type of "lenses" (polycarbonate something or other), with the transitions lenses (which I have always gotten) to get darker outside, and the progressive lenses so no bi-focal line, anti glare for the night driving since I have more trouble now especially with the newer headlights that are just too piercing.... and a newer style that makes them have a wider field of vision that is not distorted with the progressive lenses. The one thing I do not like the progressive lenses for, is that looking out the edges like I do to look at equipment behind me, it is blurry due to the nature of the progressive lenses. So, will see how I like the newer style of lenses. I am hoping it will improve being able to glance out of the corner of my eye to look at equipment that is behind me while on the tractor.

So, I am going to get the samples packed from last night. Have to mark the ones that he wants tested for the A2A2 milk as he has someone that is interested in some. Down to 32 cows milking.... I expect he will be out before the winter.

Think I will get the corn done before I go anywhere since it will be easier. The peaches will require some time to scald and peel and all that.
Got a farm scheduled for Monday, and have to get in touch with a couple more. Got another for Friday but have to check with him middle of the week to make sure. Some places will be getting into chopping corn in the areas that haven't gotten as much rain... want to get them done so that it is one less thing for the farmers to have to deal with.
Time to get up and going....

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Busy, busy! At least, being in cattle farming, you understand your customer time needs for more than milking. It helps. Most of my assigned stores have had same managers for the several years I've serviced them. Makes it easier for both of us!

Now you're trying to work in the produce....I'm there 😊 sometimes the next day you wonder how you did it!! :oldo_O canning is such a time consumer! Oh. I love it and enjoy the results but, while happening, geesh. It's something that works well if there are two working it. This weekend will be a marathon of sorts. Like...time to do doesn't wait. Gotta pick, gotta process, gotta make time.

I need to rework freezer so I can buy beef from you at swap. That's NOT far off :oops::th

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses you are right about one thing. It is more fun and even more productive, to have 2 working together... I sure wish I had company to do some of it... do it together and share the end results... sure wish we were closer... I get to where I have to push myself to get things worked up in the kitchen... of course it would help if kitchen was in more "organized condition"..... OH WELL.... next year. There will be plenty in the freezer and what I have picked up at the discount store... Garden fence will be a PRIORITY and hopefully fence around the whole place.... fruit trees moved this fall/winter...

Yeah, we really push this time of year to juggle things. I have done the late night canning thing too. Glad I do not have anyone here milking right now... don't know if I could push that much right now.
Yeah, helps to have a good relationship with the farmers that I work with. Years of knowing the inner workings of the farms and what they do and don't do.... we work with each other, since we also have to make hay and different things on our own place. And not having so many, to try to work around 4-5 every week...

How's the new goat doing? Getting more comfortable with his surroundings?

Poultry swap is in 5 weeks... WOW.... I plan to get some pullets/hens to take home... looking for some purebreds too ... am contacting some of the breeders to see about finding some New Hampshires again...

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
So far the new buck is a dream animal! Not aggressive, fence respectful, good to handle. Must wear a watch because he knows feeding time. :lol: he's fed as does are being milked & fed. But wanted him to come when called and to the magic feed bucket, so began day he came here. Ya know how important that is!

Processed & canned all day. Making cheese in short while. Then a welcome bedtime.👍

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Came in for a sandwich a little bit ago. It is an absolutely gorgeous day out there. Started at 56 and sun came up.... Comfortable 80's with NO HUMIDITY....
Moved some round bales of the wheat straw that DS had baled up as they are supposed to come and spray and kill the johnson grass and he is going to plant back a variety of rye that is more heat tolerant... get a crop off late this year and then it will grow and we should get a good crop off next spring. Since the wheat never got combined and the soybeans never got planted and it is WAY TOO LATE.... what a bad experience. So much of the seed had shattered/fallen that there is wheat coming up all over again from it... but the johnson grass is 3x the height after little more than a week....Alot of lost money/income from not getting the wheat combined and straw baled and sold. These rolls will make bedding/picking for the cows this winter and the seed will go back into the soil at the pastures and germinate for some added green growth.... but it would have made better hay in the early soft dough stage before it matured and dried and so much was lost back onto the ground.

Came home and had another headache and quit early for the night.

Went this morning and moved the rest of the wheat bales off the big field, then moved all the ones off the 6 acre field that is across the creek that DS put the new pipe in to replace the one that had washed out so bad and we couldn't get into that field for 2-3 years... Then went up and moved 14 of the 4x5 rolls off another hay field and put them in front of the gate to the guy who buys them from us... the one we custom make his hay.... as he has more cows than he has hay for off the first cutting. This year has been a bit better for him for the grazing... but his hay was less than normal. He usually buys some from us and his tractor is smaller so cannot handle the big 5x5 ones. So we make one place close to him with the 4x5 baler when we make his hay and just take it and drop it by the gate and he moves them up to his storage area... I put 14 bales there today. Then came home to eat and put a gallon of tea out in the sun, put a load of clothes in the washing machine and will hang them out in a little bit.

Got to work on the peaches I got. Corn is in the freezer except for the 4 ears I am going to eat, 2 tonight and 2 tomorrow night. Next is a trip out in the garden. Decided to just put all the scrap stuff from the house in the section that is not producing well and will try to build up the soil a bit this year.
Have seen several good sized bucks out here this year.... they go from here to the corn to the pasture next door where we winter a bunch of cattle. I hope there are quite a few less next year.

Gas has come down here to 3.49. I think I mentioned that I got it for 3.19 cash when I was testing south of here near Roanoke...

There is a company that is advertising whole house generators... 0% down and 0% interest for 48 months. I am going to call them on Monday to see if they come this far north to put them in and what the prices are. I am a little concerned with the forecasts of a severe winter this year. If it is cold I am not too concerned about the freezers if the power goes out... but if it is not real cold, then it could be a problem. Seems like we get alot more freezing rain and crappy weather than we get real cold or snow. Would like to know. My parents had a generator when we were kids growing up and it saw a fair amount of use in CT.... we were the only house in the neighborhood that had power many times... and we would have lots of people in to cook meals and such.... I think about the derrachio winds that we had about 10 years ago and lost our power in late June for 5 days... DS and I traded the generator he had back and forth so that I could keep the freezers going and necessary things... it was a PITA but we didn't lose any food. Might be a better investment at this point than a smaller tractor deal... Haven't found anything that I really like and the prices are through the roof anyway.

Lots of things on the list to consider... Fencing is pretty much number one... but I figured that 0% down and 0%financing is something to consider.

Cabinets don't smell so bad so might go through and spray good again... much as I hate painting wood, I might try painting them after a second round of this spray once it dries. Still looking at the corner and trying to decide which way I want the sink... I am thinking on the "right" and then take out the cabinet part on the left and slide the portable dishwasher in there and then it would be able to just stay there????....I stand there and try to imagine which way I would prefer to stand and how to utilize the space. I have even thought about putting in a single large one and a smaller one but not have them kitty corner like that... have thought about a triple sink like in commercial kitchens... and I don't like stainless steel but to have the usable space and size....Can't swing the faucet from one sink to the other now because it catches the counter and gets water everywhere... have to turn it off everytime you switch sinks...Wish I had my old sink with the built in drainboards on the sides....
Well time to go do something... like hang the clothes... I am going to do another load of just the jeans so they are dry before the next round of wet weather they are calling for. As hot as it has been, it doesn't take much to get them all sweaty and it is no fun to put on smelly jeans so I go through them fast.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Get a roll of wrapping paper, plain colored....tape and spread over counter tops and draw where you want things or cut a piece that's the sink you want, to move it around...stand there and pretend 😁🤔. Move between refer, sink, etc. You can more realistically decide. The current items covered help you visually. :idunno $10 in paper could save hundreds in cabinets, plumbing and sinks/faucets.

Well. That's my idea. 😊

I'm concerned with winter this year....not wanting snow and cold! It's rare that I get a lot of extreme in my area BUT when we do, area is not set up to handle it well. Haven't had more than an inch or two in several years. We're do for a hit and with crazy weather all year, yeah, it could happen.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like that idea @Mini Horses ... I will try it....get some plain paper and try that.

Several years ago DS had to go down to the Hampton Roads area with the huge snow blower the state has up here... there was like 20-30 inches of snow down there... And because the coastal areas do not get any great amount of snow, it just shut down everything. He ran it like 20 hrs a day for 3 days because there wasn't anyone else capable of running it. He was teaching a guy "on the job" to run it.... they opened up a neighborhood for a lady that needed dialysis and they brought her out in one of the huge trucks to get her to where she could get in an ambulance to take her to the hospital... no power for like 3 days or something... but the roads were totally impassable... because they aren't set up to handle something like that. Here we just go along and deal with it because we get it and have the equipment...
Look at what @Baymule got hit with... once in a lifetime snow down there... at least they didn't lose their power for days.....

Cloudy here this morning... Forecast went from partly sun/clouds to mostly cloudy and now some rain by 2-3 p.m.???? Yesterday was so nice... sure could have used a 2nd day of that... Hope the clothes will dry enough. Temps in the upper 60's last time I looked.

DS texted me and said that the guy got all the bales of hay moved so I can go move some more to his gateway, off of the hayfield. Would like to get most of them done today before we get the rain so he can get them moved up to his storage spot. Plus let the grass grow without keeping driving on it. Going to eat a little something and then maybe go up and move more. I have to go up and down the driveway of the house there so didn't want to do it too early on a Sunday morning either.

Latest posts