Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm concerned with winter this year....not wanting snow and cold! It's rare that I get a lot of extreme in my area BUT when we do, area is not set up to handle it well. Haven't had more than an inch or two in several years. We're do for a hit and with crazy weather all year, yeah, it could happen.
DH read yesterday that California is in for a 200 year flood this coming winter. Believe it when I see it.

Just our luck that we will move from So. CA to Texas and have a drought in TX while CA has abundant rain and forage! :lol:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry @Bruce ....that particular trade is not to my advantage... even I can do that math... but then I do the "old style math".... have no idea how they do this new style stuff...
:idunno

Was an okay day... if you like cooler and damp... 62 to 71... but cloudy and drizzly wet... just enough to get the grass wet and keep everything damp. But so much nicer with the cooler temps.

Got everything together; bottles in trays in car, meters in back, hoses and changed the brackets on enough to be able to go test. Went by the barn and did the calves; one had managed to get out in the other field but didn't like being alone so came back in the barn when I opened the gate... and I put grain in the feed bunk in the barn and they all figured out where it was. Put 2 sections of hay and also opened up the short alley that has lots of grass... so they could eat either/both. Went to test and then after I got done and loaded all the meters etc back in the car, came back by the barn and all 3 were laying together in the alley area in the grass. Acted contented so that was good. Did the nurse cow and the 6 calves up there came right in, through the creep gate, to the bunk on the other side of the gate from the nurse cow. I will be able to get these 3 trained I think without too much problem... The one is such a runt, she is stunted... acts okay but really don't expect her to do anything... almost a dwarf but features are all normal sized... most dwarf calves have larger heads or are not well proportioned.

Then just came home and got the samples in the house and all. Will pack them and get ready to go out tomorrow. Got a farm scheduled for tomorrow afternoon, now... and I plan to move hay in the morning to the gate area for the guy to move up to his storage place.
We have had the misty drizzle and maybe some showers tonight... and possibly a few in the morning then mostly taper off and possible some sun tomorrow afternoon. Wed and Thurs are only slight chance. I will move hay Tuesday and then see how many more he will get... I think he is buying 50 from DS... I know that he has gotten 26 so far... (12 from DS moving, 14 from me moving)... I think there are at least 14 more there at the one field... then some at another close field... But I will get the rest out of the one field I hope tomorrow.... and then go from there. Didn't plan on this herd tomorrow, but that is okay... Still have one scheduled for Friday aft...

Was sitting here at the desk and heard SNAP..... got a mouse in a trap. Yesterday I was just thinking that I must have gotten rid of the problems for awhile....I have been checking the traps every day since they are right there in plain sight in the kitchen..... so I checked the other traps and there were 2 MORE in traps.... WHAT ????:th:ep:hit:somad:somad:somad :he:duc.... Must've just moved a family in..... oh well.... at least they are getting caught.

Called the company that advertised the generator install ...0% down and 0% financing for 4 years... of course they are way south of here, down near the Va Tech college in Christiansburg and do not come this far north..... haven't heard any ads for any up this way doing it.... :hit:duc:idunno. Going to try to check on some places... Deb said she would be interested in one also so it would have been 2 installs 1/2 mile apart... Oh well... it was an idea... I did see one ad for $150, down and $150/month.... might call them just to see.... might be able to work a deal if there are us both doing it.... That's for another day though... need to get the hay done and testing this week.

Boy, it got dark quick with the clouds and all... but the days are getting shorter already.... hate to see the winter come on.... Not looking forward to it this year.

Going to get the samples packed this evening, and get the bottles ready for tomorrow, so I can concentrate on moving the hay in the morning.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think I fell asleep on the phone again last night, but at least you yelled at me so I woke up enough to mumble something incoherent. Hahaha! Cats around there might get run over on the road, but enough of them must survive to replenish the population, unless people keep bringing in new ones. Get some cats, maybe you’ll strike it lucky and get some of the survival types.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yesterday morning DD2 was eating breakfast and I heard DAD!!! Being indisposed at the time I ignored her. Soon after she was scolding her cat and I heard the front door open. Apparently Christofur was playing with a mouse. Good cat! Decreasing the mouse population in the house. DD finished the decreasing by throwing it outside where it will either find its way back in ... or not, who knows.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yesterday morning DD2 was eating breakfast and I heard DAD!!! Being indisposed at the time I ignored her. Soon after she was scolding her cat and I heard the front door open. Apparently Christofur was playing with a mouse. Good cat! Decreasing the mouse population in the house. DD finished the decreasing by throwing it outside where it will either find its way back in ... or not, who knows.
:th
I would not... not ever... put a live mouse outside the door... unless it was in the process of rigor mortis......

Yeah, thinking that a couple of cats are going to have to be the next step and pray they get road smart before they are road kill....
Got another mouse in the one trap this morning... they have moved in, in a COLONY... actually looked it up and a group of mice is known as a "mischief"... or a horde.... or a nest of mice.....WHATEVER.... they are a scourge in my opinion....that one trap seems to be hair trigger compared to the rest... YAY:yesss:
Yeah, @Mini Horses they are moving in for drier winter quarters.... :barnie
:he:somad:rant:rant

It was a CHILLY 59 this morning. We have been on the fringe of rain since yesterday. Getting little sprinkles, misty type stuff....it has stayed mostly just north of here and to the east....we are right on the edge of it. That's fine, we are in good shape and there are other areas that could use some more water. It is cloudy and will probably be mostly cloudy all day.

Got the samples all packed last night and will take them when I go down to get the truck and start moving the bales of hay in just as little bit. Going to put the rack of bottles in the car so I don't forget them. Don't have to be at the farm until 4 p.m. I will go to do the 3 calves at the barn before and may even do the nurse cow early since it will be pushing dark when I get done at the farm and get back down here. Have to go by DS house and do the chickens again too. At least worrying about water and the hot temps has not been a thing.

Latest posts