Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Friday morning... WOO WEE... CHILLIN' ... it was down to 45 last night and I guess pretty breezy since the breeze was pretty strong when I got home at 11:45 last night.
Sun is out and there is still a breeze but temps are up about 56 in the shade of the porch. I will be going up to the hayfields here shortly... see what if anything DS did yesterday after I left for work.

I stopped and put the can of fuel in the tractor, and then stopped at Lowes to return a package of little shelf bracket holder things since I finally found the can with the ones I knew "I had somewhere".....also wanted to see about a ridgecap for the metal but it is almost $40 which is what I paid for the 4 sheets of roofing and it is only 10 ft which seems like more than I want to pay... I can extend one side higher than the other so it doesn't run directly down the crack of the 2 pieces meeting at the top... at least with the 4 sheets of the 14 ft., I can cut to length...seen rooftops done like that. I also was lucky as i found the wood pieces to go under the metal, so you can nail into them and not mess up the metal... another score... they are 6.99 for 72" length... I got 5 that were broken.. all 48 to 52 inches .. and they gave me a discount of 50% off so got them for around 3.50.... I took the 5 that were broken for that price. there will be more needs for them I am sure...

Good thing that I left a little early to do a few errands... Stopped and got a hot dog and all at the "Sam's Hot Dog " stand... I usually go there once a month when in that direction on my way to test somewhere... and was back on the interstate heading north. Figured if I was real early I could stop at the nursery right off their exit and poke around...
NOPE, got tied up in a traffic backup and called the farm to say I might be late and they said not a probelm....
Took about 30 minutes to go 2 miles... here are 4 cars that obviously had rear ended... chain reaction type of mess... one smaller car was up under a pickup truck with one of those utility tool box bodies... they were trying to get stuff there to get the truck raised up enough to get the car out from under it. Couldn't figure out what caused all this until I finally got past it about 1 tenth mile... there is a tractor trailer down the left side into the median... steep bank... laid completely on it's side almost tipped over onto the roof.... I figure he went off the side, flipped it and traffic slowed/stopped whatever... and the ones coming up didn't see it soon enough that the traffic was slowing and they had the rear end chain reaction...
Let me tell you, the traffic had been doing 70 and up... I was in the 70-73 range and there were cars going by me at 80 at least... I am not surprised that they couldn't stop fast enough with traffic in front of them... and so many do not pay attention anyway.
So that took up the cushion of time I had allowed myself... got to the farm at 5:15... they had said they would start milking between 5:30 and 6:00... I got set up and then they got there and then it was nearly 6:30 when they actually got started.... typical of them I have discovered and no sense in getting upset over it....

Finished milking, did the computer work, meters were in the final rinse and after it had run a minute or 2, started turning valves so they could drain and pulled hoses and by the time we had 4 off the cycle finished and got the other 4. The final rinse is with an acid to counter the effects of the chlorine wash cycle... so as long as they get a thorough run through, I don't always wait for the end of the cycle... done and on the road about quarter to 10....

So that was my exciting day.
Sun is out good, still quite a breeze. Going to pack samples, won't take long and go rake...

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
DS1 just told us that our I-phones will not work after January 1. They are too old and Apple is discontinuing service to them.
Old phone is 3G??

I'm the opposite. I love my iphone XR, and hate hubs android. Oh well - each to their own.
I suspect it is what you are used to. They do the same things, they don't do them the same way.

Still in the 70's at night here and 98 in the day. Fall would be welcomed here
It was 41°F this morning, might make 50°F for a high, down near freezing tonight :(

Goodbye blue jeans, hello alternative clothing.
Muumuu!!

Whatever are you doing posting at 3:45 in the morning????
Worse than that, server 03:45 is 02:45 at Bay's house!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I woke up a little past midnight, couldn't go back to sleep. Got a book, cup of camomile tea, wide awake. Got on the phone, yes it was 2:45 here. Gave up, turned off lights, last time I looked at the clock it was 3:11. Slept until 7:30

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Spent 5 hours doing "farming" ... got the air tank, took to the rake and filled tire... drove tractor up and hooked up the rake as DS had unhooked the tedder at his barn where it would be out of the way. Started raking and just got off the tractor about 5. I had packed the samples and dropped them off before getting the tractor and heading for the field.
Quit and came home and fed the chickens, got the brahma's in and will put the leghorns in the box in a little bit.
Then I watered the christmas/thanksgiving cactus's and moved the table back over top of them for the night... going to be time to bring them in and put in a room to get enough "dark" so they will set their buds... plus the cold.
Brought in the wandering jews in the hanging pots. The spider plants can manage some cold... not frost or anything... and tonight is supposed to be the chilliest for the time being. 40 maybe tonight. I will start watching it pretty close. If we do not get a frost with this colder snap, we NORMALLY will get several weeks of "indian summer" and nicer weather again. You can't change it so learn to work with it.

I did all the small fields... 2 big ones that he cut the "centers" at deb's and the 2 small ones there... down the road and the 4 small ones that are 2-3 acres each... and then to his barn...the 10 acres of orchard grass.. and got 2/3 of it raked. It was getting too much in shadows and I was tired. Knees were aching... I kept standing up and stretching them out.... I will finish the side of the field where the trees were shadowing it... if the breeze keeps up there won't be any dew again so it will be good to rake in the morning. I don't have any samples to pack or anything so will get up there earlier than this morning. Finish it up... and be done for another week when DS goes to Louisiana with the guys competing in the regional "roadeo".
Made a pot of cream of mushroom soup to eat... will get a couple of meals... just wanted something warm and simple. Going to take a chicken out of the freezer to thaw and cook for a few days worth of meals....
Put the battery charger on the truck again so that I can move it out some to finish unloading the boxes tomorrow... Hopefully DS will sell it to me once the explorer is gone. Since he has been the go between with the 2 different ones wanting it, I am hoping that he gets with the program now... I realize he will be gone for a couple of days... but I am not going to sit on this... they kept asking... now SH!T or get off the pot.
Time to go get the leghorns into the boxes for the night. They do seem to be quieting down a little... I really need to get going on this small coop for them....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Recipe for cream of mushroom soup?
Sorry everyone, it was canned. Not my expertise in making it from scratch. I usually add some plain canned mushroom pieces to add to it...
My talents are much more in the outside cattle line, not the kitchen cooking line...

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't know why @Mini Horses was up at 1:45... or why the devil I am back up at 4:30.... I was tired and sore, got a shower and read a little and fell asleep. It was around 9 when I got into bed.... Woke up around 3:30 and ached all over... took a couple ibuprofen and now can't go back to sleep. GRRR:barnie
:he:he:somad

I never had this problem in my life until the last year or 2... maybe I am not tired enough to sleep? Need more exercise??? I did not take anything to relieve the aches when I went to bed as the shower had "soothed" the worst of the achiness... guess I should have and probably would have slept through more.
I will be tired and then not want to get up at 7 or 8.... Going to set the alarm for 7 and see if I can't get some more sleep until then.... make myself get up and get some things done and then hopefully will be able to sleep through on Sat eve (tonight).

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
7:30 a.m. Gave up on the sleep idea and am now going to stay up. Folded some clothes in the basket and will put away. Going to get dressed.
Didn't get as cold last night as it was the night before. So bringing in the wandering jew plants not needed. 48 this morning, already 52 and sun not even up.
Made a pkg of hot cocoa... okay when I have to... it's actually "mocha & dark chocolate"... tastes more coffee-ish. I don't have any coffee in the house since I don't drink it... these work. Not sweet like hot cocoa. Just wanted something hot and not a hot tea drinker.
Think I will go out in a bit and see if the battery on charge will start that truck and move it so I can finish unloading and stacking those boxes/stuff. Then it will be time to go finish raking the hay after the sun has been on it for a bit. See alot of clouds out there right now...

Latest posts