Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
It seems you are getting your entire annual rainfall in a few months.

I thought about getting a freeze dryer when I lived in Florida because we had several 30+ days without power after major storms. Not long after the last storm in 2005, I got an offer to work in South Carolina and didn't need much convincing. I was rural and at the edge of the grid so our place didn't get a lot of priority so I kept a LOT of fuel on hand.
We are starting to consider getting one again not only for our food storage but as we get more and more into the Farmers Market sales that is another thing that would help add product that not many carry. We could buy in bulk from the auction here and sell at market. We are even considering doing some custom processing for others for a fee but not sure if that would be worth the trouble.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
It going to get ugly, for lots of people and places........a Pacific system will redevelop over the middle of the country, drag Gulf moisture up into the heartland, and the proceed to carry it to the Eastern Seaboard.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/major-storm-deliver-heavy-rain-snow-end-holiday/story?id=60015555
Graphics courtesy BC News and Weather Chan

abcweather2.jpg

(Wife & I will be watching to see what this system does in Mentone /Loving County Texas...no doubt, going to get windy..)

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
No, I haven't had much in the way of "freeze dried food". That is why I am asking for any and all opinions. I like the LOOOOONG storage life and that they advertise that the food will taste just like fresh when reconstituted. Even with a freezer, there is a "shelf life" of a few years if the stuff is vacuum packed. And again, the possibility of the electric going off..... so I was just wondering. I would really like to try some stuff from one. I know they are in the 3K range, have priced them several times over the years. I do jerky in the dehydrator, but am not very fond of dehydrated vegs. I do like some fruits done that way.
The weather is looking pretty crappy. I can imagine the members in Tx are getting hammered now. Ours is supposed to come in late Thurs aft/eve.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thunder is booming, rain is coming in spells. Trip the GP is safe from the Thunder Monsters in the living room with us. Supposed to be a band of bad weather coming in around midnight or so.

Go buy some freeze dried food and try it. On the Sufficient Self site there is a thread on freeze drying.

https://www.sufficientself.com/threads/the-freeze-drying-thread.15394/

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Was going to suggest what Bay already did. You can buy freeze dried pre-packaged food over the internet and try out a selection of different things. Many "survival places" sell freeze dried meals... You could do the same thing and make the meals and freeze dry them for later use.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Guess what ???? IT IS RAINING FOR A CHANGE!!!!!!!!!! :th:th:barnie:barnie:rant

Oh, how I wish it would stop for about a month. NO I don't want a drought..... just a month long break in the rain.

The storm that went through Texas and all across the other states from the west to us here are probably wishing for a break too. Have never seen so much water in nearly 40 years in Va, so much consistently rainy weather. If it is like this in England and Ireland and such, thank goodness I did not wind up there with a different set of parents as I would probably be totally unhinged by now.
It started sprinkling about 4-5 and did a little until after 9 then settled in and has been a steady constant rain. Not pouring, just steady WET!!! :hit

We finally got that other hay up yesterday that we had cut before the snow. Had gotten up about 2/3 of the field that was ready, but my son had cut the rest 2 days later than the first, because it was supposed to be sunny. Needless to say, we did get up all the dry, in the barn on Sat before the snow on Sunday Dec. 9th, and did good . This all got nearly a foot of snow, then 3 inches of rain, but it was surprisingly not bad. Put some out for the cows yesterday, there are a few wet spots so we will feed it out first, and they are tearing into the rolls. Had to get it off the field, and since it stayed in windrows from cutting, there was a surprising amount of decent color to it. So at least everything that was down is now up. Made about 100 small sq bales and 10 4x5 rolls. Quality won't be great, but it was already "cured on the stem" so not as bad as if it had been "grass green", because it didn't have the moisture in the blades. Didn't get slimy which was what I was afraid of. :idunno Still beats snowballs...

Had to meet the vet at 7:30 this morning on his way to the office, no sense in me driving that far when he lives half way there. Got a bottle of Baytril for these calves that are showing the signs of pneumonia and snotty noses. Hoping that switching anti-biotics might finally hit it and help them to get over it. Locked a cow and 250 lb calf in the barn last night that has a snotty nose, cough and real lethargic. Gave him some stuff I had, then talked to the vet and we decided to switch to this. I will go up in a bit and do him with this. The rain is supposed to clear off later this afternoon, and it is a little bit warmer. So I will treat him and turn them out if it clears off. Supposed to be sunny tomorrow, but then we might get some rain FOR A CHANGE on Sun/Mon/Tues....:th:he:he:he:hit:hit:hit Can I go hide somewhere?:hide:hide:hide

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Jan, the next system is due thru here tomorrow. Should be right in your lap early next week. From what I've seen, anywhere North of the Red River's latitude, it's going to be a snow maker.