Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, an update. Just got home from the poultry swap. It was a long day and about half productive. I sold 15 (half) of the big meat birds @ 10. each. Had a couple of ladies, Hispanic, really nice, that wanted to know where my place was that they wanted to come and get a couple every couple of weeks.... of course when I told them where I was located (2-3 hrs from where the sale was) they were not happy but said that they couldn't drive that far; which I fully get for only a couple of chickens. They did buy 4 right then. Sold 5 to a guy and when he came back to get them took 2 more. Most were fairly early in the day sales....before 10 a.m.. Then had a couple of sales that were 1 and 2...
Then a guy came and was real interested, but said they were too much... offered me $5 each. For the big ones that were over 10 lbs. I said no, sorry they would be in the freezer next week for that price. He was looking for CHEAP to take to another sale.... NOT on my birds. :he:he I sold my sons' 2 meat birds he inherited from a friend too. But sales were not what I usually anticipate, and unfortunately did not sell any of his "non-show quality" old english game surplus roosters. I told him they can go to get killed as soon as I get a date for these birds. They are pretty meaty for their breed, and aren't too old, so will make small roast chicken or soup or whatever. I will also take about 5-8 of the smaller meat birds. They are in the 5 lb range and will make good eating for a smaller size meal. No sense in feeding them forever either. Then there will be one more group going out at the farm ; if there are any left behinds..... that will be able to be grown out before I have any ankle replacement surgery. So I might have 5-8 of these smaller ones now, that are not ready yet, and whatever I may get in mid-Oct, if any, to be finished out by the first of the year.

I was set up next to a young guy who had Standard size REX rabbits to sell..... what I have always wanted. I wanted to raise some and kill them and get the fur to make something. It is like velvet..... I was a very good girl.... I DID NOT BUY THEM. He sold some, dropped the price on the 4 does that were just 4 months, and if he hadn't sold them by the time we picked up, they would have come home with me. :hide:hide They needed to move them as he & his wife were just ready to move into their new house and they are going to be first time parents and want to cut back on animals right now..... But he did get them sold and I was very sad but relieved that I did not have to be soooo tempted to bring them home.:hu That is a project for when I get somewhere of my own.... after getting the ankle replaced.... and all that.... BUT OH was I tempted....:bow

It got down to 51* on the recording thermometer Wed eve/Thurs a.m. then went down to 45* the next night..... but this morning when I left at 4 a.m. it was 57 and got up to 93* according to the recording temp, that I just looked at. Another week of warm temps and no rain again.

My son was 3rd out of 18 in the tandem dump truck in Biloxi, Miss.:yesss::yesss::yesss::yesss: The best he has ever done at the regionals.:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate Has been 5th once and 8th another time. Got a neat plaque that is made from "real Mississippi Mud" and stamped with his 3rd place finish. One other guy from VA won 3rd in his class....the single axle dump I think. A couple of the other guys that did so good in the state didn't do so great; Michael said the nerves the second day got to them. He got a perfect score on Wednesday, then has some nerves and lost some points on Thursday's run, but still 3 rd is pretty darn good.:highfive::highfive: I was proud of him. :thumbsup

So Monday I will call to make an appt to have the chickens done. Had another farm that I haven't heard from in 3 months, call and want to test. Already had 3 milkings scheduled this week, one is a 2x which means I go the afternoon and back the next morning. :th It is close, but I just am getting real tired of this.:idunno One other is an hour away but they don't start til after 5 so not so bad. The one that hasn't tested in 3 months starts by 3:30a.m.:ep D@#N and double D@#N... they want thursday. I will take the meters up the night before even though it is out of my way as there is no way I am going up there early to set up. Now I see a voice mail on my phone from another farm.... gotta listen to it and see what they want. They are the kind that call and expect you to be able to come within a couple days even though you haven't heard from them in 2 months...:barnie:barnie:barnie:barnie

@Mini Horses I am getting to the wanting this working thing to be done and over too!!!!!:bow:bow:bow

Never did get to the lawn this week, but it sure isn't growing with no rain, so will try to get to it in the next day or two and get it all evened up for when we do get rain. I expect we will be in hay too, so I have to be careful of what I schedule or I will be too tired and hurting to do much raking. I'm thinking he will cut the sorghum/sudan that he had thought about cutting before he left; then didn't because there was a decent chance of rain on Tuesday that we never got, just clouds. It will dry good if he gets it cut tomorrow, as there is less than 20% chance only 1 day in the next 6 days. :ya:ya

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad ya had some success in selling, and the others may come in handy this winter for ya.
Really glad to hear about the DS with his 3rd Place!!....those competitions are really tough and manuevering the trucks aren't easy either.....:thumbsup
I understand about the scheduling, but hang in there a bit longer and it will be Over....:hugs