Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A visit to your son is in order here. Then you can thank his girlfriend for taking such good care of him and for being there at such a critical time. You can update him on what is being done, within her earshot so she can get a good idea of what he does.

Privately tell her that you are glad she is in his life because you want him to be happy. Let her know that you aren’t some overbearing Mom and that you value yours and her relationship. You might even use the opportunity to confide in her that you are glad of her farming background because while you could certainly understand him slowing down somewhat, cows, hay and farming is in his DNA and you don’t ever see him giving it up. Let her know previous girlfriends have tried to get him to quit, we’re jealous of you and for some silly reason, none of them are around any more. Reiterate that you are no threat to their relationship, you want your son to be happy and if their relationship goes to the permanent status, you are there all the way for them. She might wind up helping YOU when you have your surgeries, that’s what family does, so think on that.

Thank her for what she is doing for your son. Ask what you can do to help her, she will probably say nothing or the equivalent. LOL Tell her that you are relieved that he is in such good hands, you don’t know how you would be able to take care of cows, work and him too.

Just ideas, put in your own words, or not at all. I know you don’t want to be the Dragon Lady future Mother In Law. LOL LOL

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bit of a catch up, update. W Sunday we got the sheep pen panels up and opened up for the sheep. Got both loads of the cow/cf pairs moved to the pasture and the "temp" fence along the road fitted with the old/extra gates so the cows can't get out anywhere. I took the truck and put another roll of hay in with the cows, then came home and got all the stuff together and finally headed to test. Monday, tested at both farms. The little farm that was supposed to have sold out in ealy Oct said that the cows would be going on Wed ( that's tomorrow) so I guess it really was the last test. Came home Mon afternoon, another of his friends was at the barn, they got all the rolls off the back field and were running the no-till drill getting the wheat in the ground on that piece of sorghum. I fed another roll of hay as there are quite a few cows/and weaned odd ball cattle in that field. Then got home and I was so tired , because I just don't sleep that well at the farmers house just because it is a strange place and the highway is nearby and you listen to the traffic all night. We were milking at 1:35 a.m. Mon morning.... UGH.

This morning I was at the new primary care dr office for an 8:15 appt. Went thru all the new patient stuff, talked to the doctor and explained about the trip to the ER and some of the past stuff. She is young but seems pretty nice. She was very surprised that they didn't do an EEG with coming up with a diagnosis of a seizure. Said that everything she pulled up looked pretty good, but that she wanted to do some more blood work. Said my sugar was high, so she wants a fasting blood sugar, but also wants "panels " done on thyroid, Iron, Vit D..... My BP today was like 128/80 so not a real problem. Part of it being above what used to be normal for me of 120/70 is my weight I am sure. O 2 was 100 in my blood said my heart and lungs sounded good. I will go get the blood done, maybe in the morning early because I want it done and over and have a follow up appt in 2 weeks to discuss everything, plus she wants to look at my records a little bit closer, so then we can discuss everything. I told her ablout having the ankle replacement, and that I don't want anything to mess that up. Also that I would not take the "seizure medicine" with a diagnosis that they really couldn't pin point why they decided that. She said she wanted me to have an EEG, and managed to get an appt with a neurologist, for the end of Dec.... and termed it a vision problem, so as to not put a "label" of seizure on it.

I asked her right off when I went in, and we talked for a minute, what her thoughts were on alternative medicine and treatments, and if she had any problems with chiropractors. Told her about the trips to Pa for the prolotherapy and the PRP to try to regenerate the cartilage. And that my chiropractor really felt that I had pinched a nerve while washing and rinsing my hair, and that caused the symptoms. She said she wasn't against chiropractic care. I said that was good, because I thought my chiropractor about "walked on water", that he had been working on my neck/back/ whole body for nearly 30 years after that accident, and that he had given me more relief than anyone.

Since I have to have some sort of PCP when I come home after the ankle replacement, I hope that we will be able to get along. She seems nice, is really young, but is friendly, and seems to really care about her patients. We will see what happens after the blood work comes back. I have no intention of having her do my "ob-gyn" work as I like the other woman doctor that does that. But she is not a PCP, I had already asked her a couple of years ago.
So lets see how this goes. Since I had not been eating very good before I had that "spell", I am thinking that my blood work - sugar - was more abnormal than not. I think that since I have lost a few lbs and been eating alot better these past 2 weeks, I ought to do okay. I can tell you that unless I do something crazy like have a full blown diabetic attack, that even if it is high, I will not be taking drugs... I will approach a dietary control. I should be eating better anyway. I have been being much more conscious of my eating for the past 2 weeks and trying to eat more regularly too. This job makes it hard especially in the evenings..... but I have been trying to make sure that even the snack stuff is more "healthy" nuts and fruits and trail mix type stuff instead of "junk snacks". I have always drank a fair amount of water, but trying to even do a bit more.
It is hard to do much with the weight when walking hurts so much. But I have lost nearly 7 lbs in the last 4-5 weeks according to what they said the weight was today. That's a plus. Really want to get more off, and am really hoping that I can do it after the surgery and healing and I can walk more. Then the knee..... and be able to walk with NO PAIN at all???!!!

Wed will be getting all the chickens done, frozen waters will be the expected thing since it is down to 28 already. Then putting hay out in at least 2 fields. Taking some feed up to the little pasture where the 4 heifers are to tempt them so I can get them moved in the next 2-3 days. Their grass is about gone and the man that owns that place doesn't want to deal with frozen hose for water. I can get them moved myself if I can get them in the little catch area.
So blood work early, then home to deal with the chicken's water, then feed/tempt those 4 heifers, probably won't get them in the first time but you never know, then hay feeding....

Going to make a big cup of hot cocoa, then nothing after 10 p.m., go to bed and drink some more water.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I did get up to get the blood work done today, and I was "starving" because it was after 11:00. Guy that did it was real smooth, never felt any pain at all... So it will get run and she will have the results by end of the week at the latest. Glad it is out of the way.
Got water problems at the barn, in the lot where the weaned heifers are since it got down to 16 last night. Moved them into the lot we held the cow/calf pairs overnight before we moved them on Sunday. They will be able to get water there out of that waterer.... will deal with the one in the barn lot when it warms up a little bit. There are breakers that control the heater, but there is no water in it so don't know if there is a frozen pipe but that seems sorta ridiculous for only 2 days of cold and only down to 16 last night. Not like it was zero. There is water in the other lot they are in, checked to make sure... so they will be okay for now.
Michael called one of the 2 good friends and had him feed silage to the heifers in the barn, and he fed out several rolls of hay too. So I don't have to deal with them for a couple of days. Took 2 rolls of hay up to the pasture where the first calf heifers are. They will be going through it fairly fast I think. Did not get up to the 4 heifers, that will be tomorrow when I have the truck and trailer out to haul the load of cows for that friend. The portable corral panels are on the side of the trailer, so can take it up there, put 2 down to use, there is a place where the gate is that will make just a small catch pen. The gate is set back into the field, so a couple panels will make a "box" to get them into, and if they come in then great. They will come in in a day or 2. l_l with the open side where I will back up to and close off with the panels.

Did all the chickens at my son's, frozen waterers, they all got to drink good early this aft. But will need to do them again tomorrow cuz things will be frozen again. GRRRRRR

Was 16 this morning, got up to upper 40's this aft, but already down to 27 and they are calling for 16 tonight again.

Of course, now I have farms calling wanting to test......

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey, your son is making executive phone calls to care for the cows, so maybe he isn't so mooney-eyed in love that he forgets his cows. He is a hard working man, he is probably chomping at the bit to get out and back to work, but he'll have to stay down until he is healed up. Thank the Lord for good friends!

Of course farmers are calling you for testing now! Cold as heck out there and that's when they want you to come to the farm.

It is hard to keep water in front of all the stock, chickens included when it is freezing. I'm glad weather like that only comes in short bursts here. Hope it warms up for you soon!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some updates. Got a call from the PCP office. Results of the blood tests were "GOOD" so I guess that means that the blood sugar was down. Message said the Dr. will discuss it when I go in in about 2 weeks, but everything looked good. I guess that means no real problems with the thyroid, or iron or Vit D which isn't so good in my opinion, because I have felt that my thyroid has always been a little "behind" with being "cold " all the time etc. Had one nutritionist say a few years back that it was low normal but that she felt it was not functioning as it should. Took some natural thyroid but no noticeable results after a year. Still believe to this day that there is something just not quite right or balanced...... But at least there doesn't seem to be any cause for concern with the new PCP..... Except my weight and that is something that I am trying to lose, but slowly so that it will stay off. Can't wait to get back to some more walking in the pastures, and hopefully in a garden again this coming year. Don't think I will be as active as I want due to the knee, but getting the ankle feeling better is a BIG step in that direction.....

Took panels up to the small field with the 4 heifers. They totally ignored the feed; found out that the owner has been hand feeding them "stale donuts" so they have no reason to come to me. Which isn't a big deal except that now I need them to want to come to me and a bucket. Son is going to ask him to quit hand feeding them so that they will come to the feed, and we can get them out because the owner doesn't want to deal with the frozen water.... Hope to get them to come to the feed in a couple of days....

Didn't have to haul the cattle for the other neighbor Thursday, he had enough "trucks" to haul the cattle, so that is when I got the panels set up into a pen for the heifers.

Got the brakes on my 2wd little ranger fixed on Thursday. Michael called a friend, that had called him when he heard about his breaking his "hip" and offered to do anything that he could to help. He has a mechanic repair shop; does alot of towing/flatbed stuff, especially off the interstate. So he asked him if he could take a look at my little truck and get the brake problem figured out and fixed. Took it in Thursday at noon, it was done Thursday eve. Replaced the wheel/brake cylinder on a rear wheel. Picked it up this morning and I drove it to work. It was nice to have brakes!!!

Guess I forgot to tell about the 2nd waranteed engine, that I took down to Jason on the Friday, after sons accident. He was taking off some stuff from the 1st engine that was bad, to transfer the this 2nd engine, normal stuff that didn't come on the 2nd one ( or the first one, that they took off my own engine out of the truck. This is normal I'm told); And when Jason got ready to lift it to put in the car, noticed that there was some duct tape underneath..... There was a HOLE in the oil pan and someone had put duct tape over the HOLE.... SOOOOOOOOO...... ANOTHER WARANTEED ENGINE that they obviously didn't put the effort in to make sure it was good......
The company that has sent 2 warranteed engines for the car, that have both turned out to be bad, is sending a 3rd, waranteed engine..... problem is, it is getting colder, and the guy doing it does very little work in the cold weather.... so hoping like all get out that we get a "warmer spell" so that he will try to get this one in the car..... he doesn't have my son to offer to help like he was pushing him before.
All I can say is the third time had better be the charm..... don't know what has been worked out for all the labor that has gone into it......not counting the oil and antifreeze in the first one..... hadn't gotten the 2nd one in the car to put in the water/antifreeze or the oil, that I had just gotten him to put into it..... I have about had it. I certainly will never recommend this company.... but they have a good rating by others.....
Guess I really am a walking "MURPHY"S LAW".......

Tested another big farm this afternoon. The one I canceled when my son had the surgery to repair his femor. At least I have gotten 3 of the 4 farms that had been cancelled in the past 2 weeks, caught up. Waiting on the other to call back, they are less than 10 miles away, but have to test them 2 consecutive milkings (night then following morning). Hoping maybe get them in on Tues/Wed or Wed/Thurs.... I have the other big 230 cow herd 10 miles in the opposite direction scheduled for Thurs/Fri.... they are the other 2 consecutive milking farm that I still test.... Still have 4 more to call... one that I really need to get to next week.

PLUS, now it seems that my time is "needed" at the girlfriends house to, help with my son. The sister that doesn't work, "cannot be spending all her time there" as she has "things to do" also...... she has the small daughter (like 4 or 5?) and the 3 month old baby. Guess we will have some time to "talk", but if he is in a mood, it could easily turn into a big argument .... with all his 'micro-managing" the cows. You know what, I just decided that if he is not going to share with me who is doing what, then I am not going to worry about it. I will make sure they have access to the water, feed the ones I need to feed and check the ones calving.... and if he wants to control the feeding silage and hay to those 2-3 fields, then go to it. I will see what we can come to agreement on. I don't have to do all the feeding, rather not do it all.... but for pete's sake tell me who is doing what so I can make sure that things are done and nothing slips through the cracks by default....

Also, he got the sister to bring him to the "main farm" yesterday to supervise some clean up that he has conveniently put off for the past month due to always having to go to the girlfriends. The ins agent for the owner was unhappy with some stuff that was there... yes some stuff we had scattered about... but also some tree cutting and such that the owners SIL was supposed to do. Well they gave us a month, I went up one weekend to help and son wasn't there..... so I quit worrying about it. Asked him when he was going to get it done, that I couldn't help if he wasn't there to decide what was good or not.
The ins agent came back, got a little perturbed about stuff that wasn't done....Owners' SIL called my son and said that it had to get done this week... Son explained about the broken hip, they said well, it had to be done. Never offered to help or anything, yet the last 2 years every time they needed hay for their horses they called us..... Mind you, they haven't done a single thing to clean up the trees and brush around the buildings, that have been there since we rented it a couple years ago..... So long story short, son came up, GF sister and I cleaned up alot of little stuff, good friend Steven came with another buddy, used the skid loader and moved the pile of treated fence posts we had there and a couple of other things, and it looks alot better. The owners SIL hasn't done a thing yet and we won't /CAN'T do any of the trees, cleanup of brush or anything around the buildings, or about all the junk that the SIL has got piled around either....
First time I have seen my son since he came home a week ago.... and that is when the discussion came up about he thought I was coming down the other day....
OKAY, I am not a mind reader, no one has called, texted, NOTHING, to see if we could work out a schedule of some sort.... I was not going to get into a big TODO about it since they made the decision to move him down there in the first place.....

Can I scream now??????

Going to bed as soon as I get a shower. Have to go do the chickens and sheep and all, bring the milk samples in the house, they are out in the truck for the night, won't hurt them to stay cold, take hay up the hill for the one pasture, go feed the heifers and see what they are going to act like, check the cows calving. Making a list of some things to do/and get. Need a new hose, he has one that has been leaking and I am tired of all the water it sprays out. Has splits in it near each end and I am not going to fix it. Too cold to do it and I suspect it is just old enough to just split in another place. Might be able to pick up one on clearance at Walmart or TSC since it is an out of season item now. Most places are full on in Christmas mode.....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your life is one big circus Jan!
Some days it is more like a joke....

Rocky got all the feeding done at the farm, silage to the heifers, hay in the lots there. He said he would be getting the tractor and going and doing the bush-hogging that hasn't been done yet, and have to move a tedder that the "frame broke" on and is setting in the field at this place we custom make hay. They are a royal PITA and i am hoping that he tells them he can't do it any more. It is inconvenient, and they worry you to death to get the hay made even if the weather is calling for rain in 2 days and we know it can't possibly get dry in time to get it made. I'd just as soon stop doing all this custom work for people that try to micromanage us and when it gets done.
So, I said I was coming up the hill, if he needed a ride up to the tractor, so I took a bale of hay with me, picked him up, took him up to the tractor, and then went to my son's and did the chickens, Still have 3 sheep out on the lot next door, no houses, that got out somewhere and I haven't gone around the other side to see if I can get them in the gate. Plenty of grass where they are, absentee owners that never come there as it is for sale, again, so I am not worrying. Way down the hill away from the road, no incentive to go anywhere else since their buddies are there. Not a priority. Haven't tried grain, they might just come right to me.

I will have to stop and pick up the 2 fuel cans and take them and get them refilled so he can fill the tractor, it had over a half tank but don't know how much he has to do.

It has been chilly, down in the 25-28 range, days up in the low 40's but the wind has been brisk, so not very "warm". Sure went from extra warm fall to a little colder than normal.....in a hurry.

Everything else is pretty decent right now.... KNOCK ON WOOD.
Already down to 32 and supposed to get down to the 26-28 range again tonight. But mostly sunny days for a week and temps staying right near/above freezing and up into the 48-55 range. Sure hope so. I'm tired and won't be up very late tonight.

Latest posts