Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay, it is Thursday. POST OP appt went well. Didn't get all the stitches out on the 2 larger incisions because they want to make sure there is no chance of the healed tissue/skin pulling apart. They did take out 2 smaller stitches below the knee where they put some sort of thing to stablize the leg in position during the surgery; also during surgery, they stretched the tendon and they put in 3 staples in it to hold it in place; and they took them out also. I am disappointed that they couldn't take them all out but it could be worse. So, I still have to keep it dry. It was re-wrapped to protect the stitches left in it. But I can shower if I wrap it.
The best part is I got a walking boot. I can only put 25lbs weight on it this first week, 50 lbs next week and 75 lbs the third week. Need to use a walker or a crutch but I can get around. Can also use a knee scooter. I am definitely going to see about getting the knee crutch put together and trying it out. That will keep the weight off the ankle, and if I can do it, I won't need the crutches or anything that restricts my hands.
Then back for another post op appt to have the stitches out and x-rays. So I'm not quite as far along as I'd hoped, but the PA that saw me was surprised they had me come back at 2 weeks and not 3 weeks. Plus she was talking another cast and I said that the Dr. said a walking boot when he talked to me on Friday, after the surgery on Thursday. So she got in touch with him and came back and said that the dr said a walking boot with some restrictions if it all looked okay. Glad I spoke up and just didn't accept her opinion. I asked them to spell out exactly what I could do and couldn't do. Told both her and the other PA, the guy that was the one taking the cast off and all, that I don't want to do anything to screw it up or do anything wrong, so I wanted to know exactly what I can and can't do so I don't mess this up. So the guy gave me a run down of what to do, not do. Plus he didn't like the way the one boot fit, so tried one in the next size, but a "short boot" that is only about half way up the calf. It sticks out more beyond the toes, but said he liked the way it fit around the bandage wrap he put around the ankle.
The best thing is I can take it off to sleep. I still need to keep it elevated quite a bit to keep the swelling down, and to keep it from aching. And I will be able to get around better, and not go head to head with my PT about not putting it on the ground at all. I can use it to balance myself, and transferring from one thing to another, like from bed to wheelchair, just standing, or anything else.
The only downside, is Michael cannot come to get me until Tuesday. He has help tomorrow to get some heifers in that have to be delivered Saturday morning. Early. Then 2 separate funerals to go to on Sat; at 11 and then at 2. Sunday he has 2 guys coming to help him get some fences rebuilt from the down trees and the bulls tearing some stuff up. Since he has had so much trouble getting any help, I get it that he needs to get this stuff done with available help. Monday he has 2 appts with 2 different drs, 1 for his hip and the other from the accident a year ago, that he is still having to see. So Tuesday is my scheduled departure day. I can deal with this since I can actually move my foot a bit and can "take off" the dead weight, and so I will manage until he can get here. Might be able to get a friend to come, but we could use the time on the trip home to catch up with some stuff.

He is leaving to go up to NH on Friday; a friend is going to see his father in upper CT and Michael is buying and bringing home my fathers' real nice ford ton truck that he used to pull his travel trailer with. My father has sold the travel trailer, will never be able to drive and travel again, and with my mom's constant need for care, they do not have any future traveling to look forward to. They also are going through money and her in-home care is costing and my father is unwilling for her to go into any kind of care facility. That is where they should both be, but he refuses and so they will bankrupt themselves there at home and there is no talking to them about it. Therefore, he had talked to the ford dealership before he had his stroke in July, looking to turn some things into "cash", and since he will never be able to use it, it may as well get sold. Got some prices and had pretty much decided to sell them, and my son said if he didn't sell them as a pair, then he was interested. The travel trailer sold, it was like new, and so my son is getting the truck for what it was agreed on that it could be sold for on the open market, which is more than what the dealer would give him. So, Michael is going to get it. Not an expense we need, but it is just too good a deal to pass up and he could never afford to buy a truck like it. I'm not sold on the whole deal, but he has a point. It's not any money out of my pocket, and I think he is looking to sell a few other things he has, that we don't use or need, to help pay for it.
So he will come get me on Tuesday, and then leave on Friday, come back on Monday. I won't have anything to do as he will have the one friend help with the feeding while he is gone. When he gets home, we will go test that 550 cow herd.... him and the girl that has helped me will do the parlor work, and I can be in the office and do all the computer stuff and then get the samples all packed to get sent off. I can talk to other farmers that want to be tested and work out the ones that will do their own samples and me do the "book work". Michael said he could maybe help sample some of the ones that have to be tested; especially the farms that need meters set up in. He is thinking he will be back to work by mid-March. I think that Geneva will be able to help a little bit; she said that if I had some to do, if it was on her day off she would be glad to help if she could. We'll make it work. Once I am walking with just the boot, I will be able to do some of the slower smaller ones on my own.... with the farmers doing the meter set up in the barns.

I also can drive if I am not taking any of the pain killers, and I feel comfortable. Let's face it, driving at home is nothing like the traffic here so I am not too worried about it. I won't have to do alot or go many places, but will have the freedom to do so. Since my right foot is totally useable, an automatic is fine to drive. Don't know if my car is back together again yet. I can at least drive the 4x4 truck, that is automatic if necessary.

So that's the update. I am alot happier to just be able to rub the calf of my leg, and not have the dead weight on it 24/7...... The incisions will leave some not pretty scars, but if it works better without pain, then I will deal with the looks. They ought to fade some with time too.

I'm going to bed. Been a long day. Plus it has been snowing here like the dickens and there is over 2 inches and it is still coming down. CRAZY...... 20's tonight, then 45-50 tomorrow and 60 over the weekend. The daffodils are out and the forsythia is in full bloom.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just heard a week ago that you were laid up. That wacky woman would have me barricading the door! You will be happy to get home, but don't let that experience drive you home before you are physically able. You don't want to end up back in the hospital because you over do at home. I can't figure out how to find anyone's post on this site unless I go back into the alerts I have gotten in the past. Now the computer won't take me to then either. :he I hope you recover soon - nursing homes suck, but at least you are not stuck crawling around on your own and damaging your ankle more as would happen if no one was there to help you.

I saw on the news that there was a lot of flooding in Tennessee. Are you getting heavy rain too? Last year I remember it was a problem for the hay. Hope there is better weather this year

I think the idea of buying your dad's big truck is a good one since you will know how it was taken care of. I'm praying for you.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The incisions will leave some not pretty scars, but if it works better without pain, then I will deal with the looks.
Let's face the facts Jan, men your age are more interested in your mind than your legs ;)
I'm glad all is going well, I know it isn't as fast as you hoped but from the outside I think it is going pretty quickly.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
:ep
Let's face the facts Jan, men your age are more interested in your mind than your legs ;)

I am shocked Bruce! DH assures me that men never stop looking. That is why I hide his glasses before asking how I look to him. :gig However, just wear pants or a long skirt, and a top with a deep cut neckline and a push up bra. Pushup because at our ages we know it takes a lot to keep the girls up in place! :lol:

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm glad all is going well, I know it isn't as fast as you hoped but from the outside I think it is going pretty quickly.
I have an ugly scar on my ankle from my surgery last year...really long. Chris doesn’t care a bit. I was self conscious at first....he says scars make you sexy!! ;)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
:ep

I am shocked Bruce! DH assures me that men never stop looking. That is why I hide his glasses before asking how I look to him. :gig However, just wear pants or a long skirt, and a top with a deep cut neckline and a push up bra. Pushup because at our ages we know it takes a lot to keep the girls up in place! :lol:
:D Frankly, at 6' 2" and nearly 64 Y/O, I wouldn't be able to see the scar on Jan's leg without sitting on the floor. The only time I focus on DW's foot is when she needs help getting a sock on it.

I could see the area you are suggesting though ;)