Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Funny, it is probably just in my mind, but it feels better already this morning. Maybe because there is not "bandage" around it. It is more flexible, and I am not trying to make it move, but it just seems to be more moveable. I will not take off the little sterile pads they put on the incisions where they took out the stitches until tomorrow, that way I am not pushing the taking the shower tonight. But I can sit here and see and feel it move like you normally would just move the ankle. It is still quite swollen as the tissues start to "calm down" and all. But moving it is also good for that too she said. There are alot of scabs that will come off and they said it might take them a month for the ones in the "crease" of the ankle where the foot attaches,
Going to call the PCP, update the results of the visit yesterday, and see if they want me to come in for anything. They did say yesterday that after the next post op appt all according to how it is doing, that I may need little or no PT. Guess it depends on how much movement I have..... WOW......

I will say this has not been near the "difficult experience" that I was expecting when I was anticipating the surgery. Yes I wanted the surgery so I could maybe get back to a normal walking ability, and the "being tied down" with not being able to get up and do for myself, and those first few days in the Rehab......was trying....... but as far as pain and all it just hasn't been any big deal. The numb/tingley is weird..... not "painful". The cast was aggravating, but I knew it was going to "go away" so liveable.... But the "girl" that was taking out the stitches, and yes, a couple felt like a little sting for a second, that made me go "OUCH" , and suck in my breath for a second, then was over; did say that people react to "pain" differently, and that much of what I was feeling, many would call pain. I said I just kept expecting to feel some real sharp pains, really expecting some intensity, and she said that obviously I have a different ability for my body to determine pain and to "categorize" it as simply an "inconvenience type" pain as opposed to "PAIN"..... She apologized for the stings as she took out those couple of stitches, and I said it wasn't that big of a deal, just caught me for a second. She said I did great, and I am thinking okay, that wasn't any real big deal. Hurt less than a bee sting and didn't last more than a second. Maybe people do really consider that "pain"......

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It was 54 this morning, looks like we had a few little showers last night but not much. Partly sunny this morning and the wind is getting up again. That wind is really drying it out. Maybe supposed to get some more "rain" this evening.....we could use it.

Oh one other thing, I talked to her about the driving and all, she said that I could try using the clutch on the truck, without the boot, if it didn't hurt to push it down. My little truck has a pretty easy clutch, not stiff like some of the bigger trucks. I can't walk without the boot yet, but to drive that I could try it. Shouldn't be anything like 100 lbs weight on the foot/ankle, since I can use it carefully in the shower, for weight and balance standing, and with the weight adjustments going up for walking with the boot, So it will be a pain to have to take off the boot then put it back on before I get out to walk, but I can safely drive the truck if I can use the clutch normally. I was supposed to have the car back long before now, but the whole "engine saga" got in the way. I still want it back, the heads are at the shop now getting redone, but I can drive myself in the truck now like to go to the store....

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Maybe you can figure it out even without taking the boot off? I’ve personally never tried it but one of the guys who hauls my pigs has a prosthetic starting just below the left knee and drives a semi just fine. He just couldn’t back up straight if you held a gun to his head, but he drives just fine. But it sounds like you’ll be back to running around before you know it.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The boot is so big that I hit the brake and the clutch in the little truck..... my son laughs and said, hey mom, now you know what I go through...... he wears a 15 or bigger shoe all according to make/brand. I told him that he has learned how to do it gradually though, not like a sudden instant having a boat on his foot.!!!!!
I can do it with the boot on to some extent..... it wasn't much better with the boot off because the ankle doesn't have the flex to push it all the way down very well. Oh well, I will just be careful....
The little truck doesn't have the space, at the floor level. I might be able to do it easier in the big trucks since now I can put the weight on it. Have to try it. I have a friend that also has a prosthetic on his left and he drives a shift vehicle too. May just be the size and shape of the boot/foot part.

Cloudy here, 39 and won't get up to 50 I don't think. Supposed to get rain this evening. I am going to go out and put the rain gauge up. We had a light rain/sprinkle/shower yesterday morning early then it was clouds and sun. We are getting dry so won't mind some moisture.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
By the time you get good with driving and the boot, the boot will come off. I am just glad that you are doing as well as you are. Are you doing any therapy?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry, my little run around in truck is a 94 Ford ranger. My little 4x4 farm truck is an 84 Ford ranger. My car is a 2000 Subaru forester. All the trucks on the "farm" are bigger trucks. All diesels....The 95 Ford f250 supercab mostly always pulls the cattle trailer and has a fairly easy clutch. The 96 ford F350 crew cab is the nicer truck, pulls the flatbed trailers for hay and whatever and we use to go places as it is pretty good on fuel for a bigger truck. The red 94 ford f250 has a bale bed on it for moving round bales, the white f350 is the "old bale truck" used for rough places and been through the mill a couple times over. The r&w ford f350 is about a 96 maybe, belonged to a friend, AUTOMATIC, with a bale bed, that I have used to move round bales with but doesn't have the running boards & I can't barely get up in it with the crutches and boot.... then there are 2 dump trucks, and more tractors than you can count.
There is no resale value in the trucks after we get done using them on the farm so they pretty much stay til they quit. All the trucks have at least 250-350,000 miles on them. One over 400,000. We will have someone say, I'm wanting to sell my truck and they will only give me XX amount for it are you interested.... and sometimes we will buy it. Several of them have the same engine and we have probably 2-3 others that have good engines but the frames have broken, or the transmissions have gone out. We have alot for spare parts. Got a couple of wrecked ones for the engines.
Then there is the "new one he just went and got from my father in NH because he will never be able to drive it again. 2012 f350 I think, crew cab, FANCY package..... I haven't even seen it since he has brought it back. I don't think my son is thrilled with it though and the fuel mileage was terrible he said.....12 mpg..... Said it rides smooth.... but it will never be a farm truck.

I'm not into fancy. I would like decent but I am not going to mortgage my soul for a vehicle. If I need something to drive a distance, I will rent something, and then give it back so that I don't have the expenses. Mine work just fine for around here.
Also in Va we can put a "FARM USE" tag on it and it is included on his farm policy but does not have to have dmv plates. They are covered under the farm policy for liability and such. He will have to liscense the "new one" and carry comp and collision and all that. But I will bet it never goes off road for anything.