Farmerjan's journal - Weather

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Really working on the knees at PT to try to strengthen them as the enforced "off" time with the ankle has caused them to really ache now when I am using them. The ankle is doing good and still no pain..... can't believe it. I have more feeling further down the leg and shin to nearly the bend for the foot, and some more feeling on the bottom. Doesn't feel so "unattached" as it did. Boy, all I can say @Bruce is I hope your dad's was as painfree as mine has been. The numbness has been aggravating but not painful. I didn't realize how bad the knees were as the ankle was worse.... honestly don't know how I stood it..... 'cuz I can barely stand the knees. Anyone have anything like a cream/lotion that they use on achy joints? I've done most of the standard over the counter stuff; trying a CBD cooling cream but haven't seen too much in results.... hoping maybe I need to use it for a few days before I get the benefit?????:fl I am willing to try most anything anyone has had luck with. This CBD was a suggestion from a friend's dad who has had great luck with it.....The "hot" things like creams often cause my skin to get a rash that plain old hurts, so am careful of any of the creams that have capsaicin (sp?) in them. Icy Hot does not like me and doesn't give me the relief.
I'm glad to hear that they have you working on strengthening your knees. That will really help when you decide to have surgery! Before I had my knee replaced there was really nothing that relieved the pain or made it easier to walk, I had to quit driving my car that has a manual transmission. I'm sorry to share, but the topical stuff just can't penetrate deep enough to do anything inside the joint and if your knees are bone on bone as mine was it just won't do it! I do want to suggest that you don't wait to long as it just gets worse. I blew my ACL out & tore up the meniscus when I was 15, then ran around without one for about 20 years, finally had that replaced, we were tired of my knee locking up, my surgeon said I'd need a replacement in 10 years, I went 16 years, I was 52 when I had mine done and I went back and forth as to should I or shouldn't I. The reason I'm sharing this info is, by the time I had it done, I had waited almost to long, the bone had become cystic which made it extremely soft, they had to use an extra long shaft to get into the bone that would be strong enough to support it. If I had waited longer, it could have really crippled me! I don't know exactly what's going on with your knees, but from my experience, I'd get it done as soon as possible!

Glad to hear things are going well with your hay baling and hoping that everything works out for you on your house! Home ownership is such a great thing! :)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Arnicare cream in a tube for pain. That stuff is fantastic. It kills pain within minutes and lasts 4 hours. I buy it it half a dozen tubes at a time. Good for sore achy muscles too. You must have this! I rubbed alongside of sugerical incisions on BJ to help with pain too. Don’t get it in open cuts. For arthritis, it is great for pain.

Inflammation-buy turmeric powder and mix with coconut oil to make a paste. Take a spoonful, chew and chase it down with a drink. It reduces inflammation, the source of most pain.

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Arnicare cream in a tube for pain. That stuff is fantastic. It kills pain within minutes and lasts 4 hours. I buy it it half a dozen tubes at a time. Good for sore achy muscles too. You must have this! I rubbed alongside of sugerical incisions on BJ to help with pain too. Don’t get it in open cuts. For arthritis, it is great for pain.

Inflammation-buy turmeric powder and mix with coconut oil to make a paste. Take a spoonful, chew and chase it down with a drink. It reduces inflammation, the source of most pain.
That's one I haven't tried, glad to hear that it works!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I take turmeric daily. Tried the Arnicare and haven't found any relief. I mean I have tried about everything anyone has ever suggested. Maybe try it again as I have some here. Maybe up the turmeric to twice a day. Sure can't hurt.

@drstratton I torn the medial meniscus in the right knee in a car wreck in 07. Had an arthroscopic surgery that dec as the pain was really bad. It helped but also took out more of the "cushioning" . Have had numerous different accidents with the left knee over the years, as a kid, mostly from horse back riding ( or landing off the horse). They refused to consider a knee replacement in '07 as they said I was too young. I was 54. Have done the Synvisc injections to add the hyluaronic acid into the joint. Prolotherapy, PRP, you name it to not have to have surgery. Now to the point where I am ready to do them. It is hoped that they will get done this winter when we are slower on the farm. I planned the knee for Jan., this past winter but had to put it off a month when my son broke his femur and was no weight bearing for over 8 weeks while it healed around the screws they put in it. So it got done in Feb.... then PT got put off due to the stupid Corona virus..... but I am working on it now. The ankle was worse than the knees... Plan was, to be back on my feet and ready to get on the tractor for hay season as I do 90% of the tedding and raking. Would be nice to be able to get on a wagon and be able to ride it and stack hay too when we square bale. No wagon riding this year, but the tractor for raking wasn't too awful bad the last couple days.

So knees are next.... but I will not do them while I am in this house as getting from the bedroom to the other end of the house through several rooms, and a couple of doors, and out onto the porch, more doors, then into the bathroom is just not doable when I can't get around. I will go into a rehab after for the allowed 20 days or so that I can get from the medicare, and like with the ankle, by then I could manage to do things on my own that needed to be done. Still very difficult for the bathroom deal. The new house has a bathroom right next to the room I will use as a bedroom....
Not to mention being where the phone service will be better, and no landlord to complain about my chickens or be going in and out all the time on the farm. I love the quiet here on the farm where I am.... a half dozen cars on an average day. There will be more traffic on the road but no one just driving in and out the driveway and I can have my chickens at home, and no one to complain that they look trashy out running on the lawn...and the fruit trees that I want; and the garden without anyone looking like it hurt them to have that lawn dug up.... or having him help himself to things from the garden..... I don't mind sharing, but he would tell me a few days after the fact that he had gotten a few ripe tomatoes or when I had the strawberry patch, he had gotten a handful to eat.... that bugged me. I planted way more than I used, and shared, and canned and froze.... but to go get stuff without asking just didn't set well some days. It is past time for me to have my own again.

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I take turmeric daily. Tried the Arnicare and haven't found any relief. I mean I have tried about everything anyone has ever suggested. Maybe try it again as I have some here. Maybe up the turmeric to twice a day. Sure can't hurt.

@drstratton I torn the medial meniscus in the right knee in a car wreck in 07. Had an arthroscopic surgery that dec as the pain was really bad. It helped but also took out more of the "cushioning" . Have had numerous different accidents with the left knee over the years, as a kid, mostly from horse back riding ( or landing off the horse). They refused to consider a knee replacement in '07 as they said I was too young. I was 54. Have done the Synvisc injections to add the hyluaronic acid into the joint. Prolotherapy, PRP, you name it to not have to have surgery. Now to the point where I am ready to do them. It is hoped that they will get done this winter when we are slower on the farm. I planned the knee for Jan., this past winter but had to put it off a month when my son broke his femur and was no weight bearing for over 8 weeks while it healed around the screws they put in it. So it got done in Feb.... then PT got put off due to the stupid Corona virus..... but I am working on it now. The ankle was worse than the knees... Plan was, to be back on my feet and ready to get on the tractor for hay season as I do 90% of the tedding and raking. Would be nice to be able to get on a wagon and be able to ride it and stack hay too when we square bale. No wagon riding this year, but the tractor for raking wasn't too awful bad the last couple days.

So knees are next.... but I will not do them while I am in this house as getting from the bedroom to the other end of the house through several rooms, and a couple of doors, and out onto the porch, more doors, then into the bathroom is just not doable when I can't get around. I will go into a rehab after for the allowed 20 days or so that I can get from the medicare, and like with the ankle, by then I could manage to do things on my own that needed to be done. Still very difficult for the bathroom deal. The new house has a bathroom right next to the room I will use as a bedroom....
Not to mention being where the phone service will be better, and no landlord to complain about my chickens or be going in and out all the time on the farm. I love the quiet here on the farm where I am.... a half dozen cars on an average day. There will be more traffic on the road but no one just driving in and out the driveway and I can have my chickens at home, and no one to complain that they look trashy out running on the lawn...and the fruit trees that I want; and the garden without anyone looking like it hurt them to have that lawn dug up.... or having him help himself to things from the garden..... I don't mind sharing, but he would tell me a few days after the fact that he had gotten a few ripe tomatoes or when I had the strawberry patch, he had gotten a handful to eat.... that bugged me. I planted way more than I used, and shared, and canned and froze.... but to go get stuff without asking just didn't set well some days. It is past time for me to have my own again.
Yes, timing is an important thing! I truly hope that you get your house and by this time next year, you will be well on your way to recovery! :love

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thursday eve..... had severe T-storms around the area this afternoon in places, pouring down rain on the way to test that you could barely see. Didn't last but heard on the news that there was nickle size hail one place and 50 mph winds that toppled some trees.

64 up to a very muggy 88 today too.

I am preapproved for the house/loan. I asked her point blank after we did all this paperwork if I would be able to get a loan and she said, oh yeah, you're pre-approved... we can get this done, don't worry.... I just need this and that from you and I need to call your company to verify that you are employed there. All according to what the appraiser says, they will either do it in house as a "remodeling loan" and roll it over into a mortgage after the bathroom and ceilings are done; or as a mortgage if the appraiser doesn't make it look/sound too major.... Basically, I as good as "got it"..... have to get the owners to write up a purchase/sale contract.... and I have to talk to an insurance company to get a policy on it. I can't believe how accommodating they are compared to the credit union I have been dealing with for over 25 years.

This is a small "local bank" though.... only 3 branches here. And I met the president of the bank waiting for the mtg lady to come down to let me and he was asking me questions about what I was there for and then we got on farming and he asked me all sort of questions about my job when he learned I had been with the company for nearly 30 years..... I think that I will be dealing with this bank more.....

So, Have to call the owners and explain that she wants a sale contract.... probably through a lawyer, but something that definitely puts it on paper.... and I have to see what I can do about some insurance.... got a couple places I can call... and I have to get a lawyer and she gave me the name of one that is decent, not terribly expensive, and if I say she sent me, will probably be able to fit me in fairly quickly. She would prefer I use a lawyer in the same county, as the only other one I know is in the next county over, but said I could use them if I really wanted to. It is going to be a fairly simple deal, and I don't see that they would tell me to use someone that was not on the up and up. She did tell me 2 that she really didn't want to have to deal with so I think that they might be a little "slithery"......

PT tomorrow, and then I have to go to one of my dairies and get a calf as my jersey/hol cow is getting really close and I will have to put at least 2 more calves on her. This dairy has always sold me good calves, have had their colostrum and all that. And try to find the time to make the phone calls, and get this in the works. I know the owners will be happy with this. I am going to have them call her and see how she wants the sale contract written up, as she wants it to show that they are paying the closing costs, so it will be for more than the simple agreed on price....they will get what they want, I will actually be borrowing a bit more, but she said I would be better off doing it that way and keeping my cash for the renovations.... I can always pay it off faster.

So @CntryBoy777 taking your advice , going with the 30 yr , lower payments and then can pay off as I like without being strapped....and they will be more willing to give it to me than if the payments were higher and it put me at "marginal" income to debt ratio. Whatever floats their boat. Since they are not giving me a big BS runaround, I will do what they want as long as there are no pre-payment penalties of any kind, I don't care how they structure it. :celebrate :weee:yesss::yesss::highfive::bow:clap:clap:clap:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:old:old:old:jumpy:jumpy:celebrate

I guess I shouldn't be celebrating but I just feel like this is going to do it finally......

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thursday eve..... had severe T-storms around the area this afternoon in places, pouring down rain on the way to test that you could barely see. Didn't last but heard on the news that there was nickle size hail one place and 50 mph winds that toppled some trees.

64 up to a very muggy 88 today too.

I am preapproved for the house/loan. I asked her point blank after we did all this paperwork if I would be able to get a loan and she said, oh yeah, you're pre-approved... we can get this done, don't worry.... I just need this and that from you and I need to call your company to verify that you are employed there. All according to what the appraiser says, they will either do it in house as a "remodeling loan" and roll it over into a mortgage after the bathroom and ceilings are done; or as a mortgage if the appraiser doesn't make it look/sound too major.... Basically, I as good as "got it"..... have to get the owners to write up a purchase/sale contract.... and I have to talk to an insurance company to get a policy on it. I can't believe how accommodating they are compared to the credit union I have been dealing with for over 25 years.

This is a small "local bank" though.... only 3 branches here. And I met the president of the bank waiting for the mtg lady to come down to let me and he was asking me questions about what I was there for and then we got on farming and he asked me all sort of questions about my job when he learned I had been with the company for nearly 30 years..... I think that I will be dealing with this bank more.....

So, Have to call the owners and explain that she wants a sale contract.... probably through a lawyer, but something that definitely puts it on paper.... and I have to see what I can do about some insurance.... got a couple places I can call... and I have to get a lawyer and she gave me the name of one that is decent, not terribly expensive, and if I say she sent me, will probably be able to fit me in fairly quickly. She would prefer I use a lawyer in the same county, as the only other one I know is in the next county over, but said I could use them if I really wanted to. It is going to be a fairly simple deal, and I don't see that they would tell me to use someone that was not on the up and up. She did tell me 2 that she really didn't want to have to deal with so I think that they might be a little "slithery"......

PT tomorrow, and then I have to go to one of my dairies and get a calf as my jersey/hol cow is getting really close and I will have to put at least 2 more calves on her. This dairy has always sold me good calves, have had their colostrum and all that. And try to find the time to make the phone calls, and get this in the works. I know the owners will be happy with this. I am going to have them call her and see how she wants the sale contract written up, as she wants it to show that they are paying the closing costs, so it will be for more than the simple agreed on price....they will get what they want, I will actually be borrowing a bit more, but she said I would be better off doing it that way and keeping my cash for the renovations.... I can always pay it off faster.

So @CntryBoy777 taking your advice , going with the 30 yr , lower payments and then can pay off as I like without being strapped....and they will be more willing to give it to me than if the payments were higher and it put me at "marginal" income to debt ratio. Whatever floats their boat. Since they are not giving me a big BS runaround, I will do what they want as long as there are no pre-payment penalties of any kind, I don't care how they structure it. :celebrate :weee:yesss::yesss::highfive::bow:clap:clap:clap:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:old:old:old:jumpy:jumpy:celebrate

I guess I shouldn't be celebrating but I just feel like this is going to do it finally......
This is such awesome news!!! I'm so excited for you, it will be so great to have your own home...Congratulations!!!🎆🎆🎆