Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will be glad to contribute several chickens to any and all of the guys, since I tend to have many.....

Just a quick note about the trip to the PA my ankle dr wanted me to go see. I like her.... too bad she doesn't do the surgeries. Personable, down to earth and pretty straight forward.
Long story short, nothing like the Synvisc type injections to help. She said that due to the total bone on bone on the inside of the knees (yeah both of them) it would actually tend to stay in the outside part where there is more spacing, and I would be hurting more from it as my joints tried to get it to work into the joint. She said that for many people, it doesn't help much.... but that maybe if it was used as soon as there was a little bit of wear it might be more helpful. She says she seldom will suggest anyone use it now.
Said that if I decided to do replacements tomorrow she could definitely agree due to the wear.
So we opted for the cortisone shots, one in each knee since it might give me some needed relief. First from the lidocaine in the shot after numbing the skin; second from the cortisone reducing the inflamation from the constant rubbing and irritation that occurs..... and sometimes it also even helps to calm the nerves as the inflamation is reduced. She agreed that if replacement is the only option, then I have nothing to lose if I get some relief. Said it might take a week for the inflamation to go down, but the lidocaine is instant relief now. They definitely don't hurt like they did; more of an ache instead of the intense pain with every step. She said quite honestly that she expects me to have a 50% reduction in the pain.... but how long it will last she wouldn't say . She said it might be more, but that I will have to give it time. She said that she is available through the "DukeMyChart" patient thing they set up on the internet.... and that she will answer anything that I ask on there. Or to call, but that takes longer because she is also less available....due to seeing patients and all.
There is a minimum 3 months after a cortisone injection before a dr will attempt a replacement, which isn't a problem for me because it will be January before I do anything. The down side is that neither of the 2 doctors that I mentioned will do both at once, except in very special cases. She understands some of what farmers do, and said she agreed that I didn't have the "down time" to do them separately.... and she has heard that some/many patients do better if both need to be done, to get them done both at once.
So, I mentioned the woman dr here closer in Charlottesville, and she said that was great, for a woman to specialize in orthopedic surgery and that I should research whether she will do both. She said there isn't a dr there in their group that she wouldn't trust her family with.... and said that she wouldn't say that if she didn't mean it. But that I should explore if I could get both done with this dr here closer.

Going to give it a couple of weeks, and in the meantime see about getting a consult appt with this dr here and see what she has to say. My friend that went with me, has a friend that had both done at one time and she is going to give her my number so I can talk to her, who she used and all that. She also said that the hospital that this woman ortho dr is associated with is her definite choice over the other hospital to have it done as far as quality of care.... even though the other hospital is better known... so that is a plus.

They can share my x-rays with the doctor here closer too.... and she said she gets that it would be more convenient to be closer to my dr afterwards for followup and general care.

The ankle has done so good though.... but I really don't want to go through 2 surgeries... and 2 pains..... and 2 recoveries.... and 2 rehabs....

Gotta get some sleep, have to get up at 3 to go test cows. Wow, didn't realize it was this late....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
When my husband had his knee replacement, there was a woman there that had both knees done at the same time. The hospital staff had her up and on her feet the same as everyone else. It makes sense to have them both done. You barely have time for that, mush less stringing it out doing one at a time.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
About a hunnert years ago I had heel spurs in both feet. Solution - simple outpatient surgery.

I decided I'd love to have both of them done at once. One surgery, one recovery...all the same reasons mentioned here. I can NOT tell you what a bad decision that was (for me)! Simple bone spur surgery - right. But, when you do both of them at the same time there's no way to ease the pain of one by having a 'good' one to bear weight. I spent several months in a wheelchair - for bone spur surgery! It was literally a year before I could walk without pain. While the theory sounded good - for me having both done at the same time was a situation where a good theory didn't equal a good reality.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wish there was a "magic wand" -- and this is a major decision, though a "common" surgery type now. But this condition didn't happen overnight, not gonna stop that fast either. Whether you do one at a time or both -- DON'T keep putting it off. Hopefully the cortisone will help for a while, get you through the summer with a little less pain but, for my mom it only helped for a month to month and half. Now, that helps but, get busy on scheduling a real FIX while you can.

She had one done, great results. Then couldn't find time (RIGHT!! Boo) for other. Took a real good replacement and a bone on bone, can't walk on it, to the grave. Don't wait to get these replaced.

I know you are working on it and have MANY things happening now. Just make it a priority. You deserve this. It's scary, a huge step, you want the best outcome but -- DO IT. Call & get the closer dr to see you, schedule you. 2020 is your year! New house, new ankle, add new knees!! How's that for a butt kickin?? :love

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses ; If I don't get the knees done there won't be any "butt kickin" I planned to call the dr in Charlottesville tomorrow. There just wasn't any time today. Left at 3:15 to go test... got there at 4 , set up their samplers, started milking at 4:25 done milking at 9:30 and then some computer work and left about 10:15. Stopped at the feed store & picked up the sweet feed I use for the nurse cow, came down, got her in to feed the calves, carried the 4 50lb bags to the can and although it wasn't comfortable, it wasn't the awful pain I usually have. Left there, came home got most of the 525 samples packed but then had to leave @ 1;30 for the PT appt at 2:00. Left there at 3, came back home finished packing the samples and dropped off for UPS and then went to the chickens to fill water and feeders. Then went back up to the cow, fed her some grain, let her eat and checked oil and such, topped off the brake fluid, then she was finally done. Let her out, just got home at 8:30, put some seafood "spring rolls" in the convection oven, and going to eat in a little bit. Found a nice bale of 2nd cutting alfalfa a friend said he had some of last years left, for me to take to cow and try. Pretty nice and I am sure I will get more. The other guy we used to get it from has contracted his to some hay broker.... at more than we used to pay. This friend also has contracted his but had some of last years left. but I imagine they keep some for their animals, 4-H stuff and all that. I am going to need a little now, but when the other dairy heifers calve in the fall will need a bunch so will see how much I can get. It looks good, can't imagine why she won't like it better than the mediocre grass hay that is at the barn left from calves last year.

Long morning testing but I wasn't hurting near as much. More tired out and achy than hurting. YAY !!!!
Nope, not going to wait for it too long. I was only thinking that if the cortisone was real good results might wait for the following winter.... but most likely will still plan on it for this coming January 2021. I don't expect for any miracle relief, but it would be nice. And I have heard from enough people that there is a fair amount of pain so I really want to do them both and go thorough it once. Plus both the PT guys said that they really think that my results will be better according to what they have seen with other patients. In fact the one PT guy said that his mom is 77 and going in to have both hers done in Sept.... she's in Maryland or Del .... he said the thing is she is in good health for her age and if she only does one and then something happens to her health that maybe she wouldn't be able to do the other.... and she is active and all and he is all for her to do them and she likes her Dr.

The PA I saw yesterday told me I might get very little relief, I might only get a month or 2 and I might get 6 months. Everyone was different. What I have now is better than before, not great, so I will be okay if this is all, but would sure like more. Gotta give it about 2 weeks for any "full effects" .

Got to get the sample bottles ready for tomorrow, 200 cow jersey herd 125 miles away. Leaving before 9:30, do the cow on the way. Gotta get gas and then will get some lunch drive thru somewhere on the way. Won't get home til 8 or 9.... Will let cow out and then can go up to do her earlier on Friday. Gotta roll with the schedule around here.

Sat a friend is going to kill chickens, so she is going to do mine too as she wants a few and it will be a good trade off. I was going to have to wait until after the 12th when the other man could do them because the daughter is getting married on the 10th. Works for me. I will call them and just tell them that I got them sold so don't have to worry about getting them killed. This friend normally doesn't do chickens\, but the person she is doing them for has a plucker, so with her vat to heat the water, it ought ot go pretty good. Said if she has to heat the water for their 10 or so, might as well do 25 instead of only the 10.... That'll be good. They aren't as big as the last ones, but that is okay too. They will still dress at 4-6 instead of 5-8 lbs. Got 2 smaller, but they will all get done. Give me a break before the next bunch of "left behinds", I will still have 10 or more to work up.... she said she could use 2, I will give her 3-4 if she wants. Not like I don't have a freezer full now.

I'm tired, a shower is sounding awfully good. Eating inbetween typing so this will be all for tonight.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
About a hunnert years ago I had heel spurs in both feet. Solution - simple outpatient surgery.

I decided I'd love to have both of them done at once. One surgery, one recovery...all the same reasons mentioned here. I can NOT tell you what a bad decision that was (for me)! Simple bone spur surgery - right. But, when you do both of them at the same time there's no way to ease the pain of one by having a 'good' one to bear weight. I spent several months in a wheelchair - for bone spur surgery! It was literally a year before I could walk without pain. While the theory sounded good - for me having both done at the same time was a situation where a good theory didn't equal a good reality.
I had a heel bone spur and could barely walk on that foot. I did some research and bone spurs can be dissolved by Calcium Fluoride. I got some and started taking 4 tablets 3 times a day. In a week the pain was greatly lessened. In 3 months, the bone spur was gone.