Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad the cortisone is helping!! If you can get some relief for a few months that will sure help out. :old Just do get set up for the replacements. I am hoping this Dr will be able to do both at once. It's a radical set-up but, as you say "it's done"....one time with all the things associated and it's over. The rehab is no fun. But, you already have a relationship with these therapists and I think you will do just fine with it. That is -- if DS can get away from the GF long enough to get you home from the hospital. :lol: Also, check into your insurance -- see if you can get some "in home" help for a week or two.

Of course, the new house will sure make a difference for you with more and easier access. Then, you have some rememberances of what worked last recovery time -- you'll be prepared. :)

Woohoo on someone to do those birds! It's the least fun part of own food raising. I can get pigs, goats, cows butchered but, not chickens. Same with rabbits. Now there's a production animal.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was only thinking that if the cortisone was real good results might wait for the following winter.... but most likely will still plan on it for this coming January 2021.
Of course you will get them done this winter because you'll be lucky if the cortisone works for 6 months, it sure isn't going to work for 18!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
About the cortisone.... the PA said if I got real good results that I could have it several times since replacements are the end goal anyway. She said if I got 6 months out of them, then I might expect to get about 4-6 months out of shots again and could have several courses if I continued to have success. That is why I was thinking that if they did that exceptional, that maybe it would be better for putting it off for a year.... get this ankle working real good, get all I want done in the house, get the nurse cow situations all the way I want.... and if more active, lose some weight which will make the outcome better too..... It is just something that I have given a little thought to. Not going to get too excited about it until I see what all my level of relief is. I have 4 ... no make that 6 dairy animals coming fresh this fall.... that's alot to get situated with calves. Don't know how far along any are except the one I bred AI.... they could all be due the same time if they came in heat and the bull got them.... or they could be spaced out a bit :fl wishful thinking) ; but I am sure my luck isn't that good..... If I have some that are way behind, like not until Dec or something, my son is no good at dealing with the nurse cows, other than to let them in..... so I cannot have him trying to get calves started on the cows.
No sense in worrying about it until I get them preg checked, see approx how far along they are, and how I respond to the shots after they have a little time to work.

Speaking of which, today was tough only because it was a 2 hr drive, inactive so getting stiff sitting; then 4 1/2 hours in the parlor which is very little sitting in this one.... so I was getting pretty tired and sore, then another 2 hr drive home. Ready for a shower and bed. 190 cows through the barn.... will pack the samples in the morning. Plus it hit in the low 90's so was pretty hot in the parlor late this afternoon. I'm whipped.....

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
NAH, @Senile_Texas_Aggie .... wonder woman I AM NOT.... but thanks for the compliment.

I ache but there is not the real sharp pain from walking on them. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel great, but at least when I step down a step, I don't pause and wonder if I can take the pain in the knee; I gingerly step down and am thankful that it doesn't hurt as much.

Got most of the cows in at the nurse cow pasture and moved to the main barn for Preg check. I was up there getting them in at 9 and it was getting hot then. It hit 91 before noon, then we got a dark cloud passing over, dropped to 85 or so, but cloud eventually went on and is 92 now at 6p.m..
Accidentally moved one that has a small calf on her so she will go back. Calf is still at the nurse cow pasture, (snyder's). There are about 4-5 more cows there that didn't come in, but it was so crowded I wasn't surprised. I am heading up there now, after it has cooled off a bit. Will take a bucket of feed and see who else I can maybe get in. There are at least 3 calves that need to come in and get worked, but did get 2 others in and moved that need to go through the chute.

There should only be 6 cows and 6 small calves there, for a few days, plus the bull; if I can get the rest in. He should be breeding them now for spring calves again next year. Not counting my nurse cow, I meant beef cows with spring calves.

Preg check is Sunday morning, they are in the lot with hay and water so they will be okay for a day or 2. There is at least one calf still at snyder's that the momma got moved.... one of the bigger ones, that I really want to get in so he can stay with the cow. But he is a PITA to get in. I think what we are going to do is put the pregnant ones with the bigger calves at a pasture where there are other preg. cows with bigger calves, and all the calves are going to come off in maybe late Aug and get sold then the cows will have a break. Anyone not bred will go with their calf to pasture with a bull for one final chance to get bred; and that is because they are first calf heifers and they mostly all have done a good job with the calves but a couple are a little thin, so might not have bred back as soon.
Also got my jersey steer there that is going to be beef, and he can go to any pasture we have with extra grass. He is still sucking on his momma and she should be bred and needs a break and he needs to be out with good grass eating and gaining.
There are about 10 heifers that should be pregnant, due to have their first calf this fall (Oct or so). If any of them aren't bred, they will be sold; or made into beef. One of them I have caught sucking on cows with little calves, she will go somewhere there are no cows with calves if she is pregnant.... and if I catch her sucking once she calves, she is history..... I don't want to shortchange the little calves although those 6 all look pretty good. I am not in love with her, but she will sell better if she has a calf by her side than to sell now and there are a couple places she can go with none of the cows lactating for now.

So time to go get a bucket of feed from the big bin, go up, put my nurse cow back in with her 3 calves, and then see if I can entice any others into the other side of the barn and catch pen. Then they will get moved to the main farm and get put in with them to get checked.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, @CntryBoy777 , that was the conclusion that I finally came to after the discussions with the PT guys. Since I was pretty sure that replacements were going to be the "prescription" , as the one guy at PT said, what is it going to hurt to get the cortisone even if it does degrade the joints.... and it's not like I am thinking years and years or "never" with the replacements. So what little degrading of the cartilage (which is basically non-existent any way ) might happen is definitely offset by any relief I can get. And the one good thing is that there is no pain in getting the shots, or any "next day pain" either.
They still are achey.... oh well. It has only been 3 days.... and it is better than before.

Went up to the pasture and was very lucky that I did manage to get every single one of the ones I needed in. Had to sort out the bull, and 3 other cows that had also gone in. Now, if there are no disasters overnight, they will get moved tomorrow morning around 7:30 - 8:00 a.m. The smaller calf that the momma got moved accidentally, has been hollering, but is staying with the other calves, so it will be okay tonight. I bet it will be glad to see it's momma in the morning. There is one calf I am not totally sure about, I don't really know who the momma is.... it is a calf that I have in the pen. If it is one that is outside, it ought to be wanting out pretty bad in the morning. That means that either the calf is older than I thought.... born when I was not up there or mobile enough to check on them, or it is really growing faster than I thought. But the cow is out that I am questioning.... so I expect that she will be around the pen wanting that calf in the morning if it is hers.
Then I will go rake hay. He got the repaired discbine back late Wed eve, and mowed the rest of the field where he hit the rock ledge. The forecast is calling for 40-60% chance.... one says Sunday eve, one says not til Mon or Tues.... So, at least that other field will be done, and we can move all the equipment back closer.

I am hoping that the friend calls to see about killing the chickens.... got to take the meters out of the truck so I can get the crates in with the 15 chickens. I can do the hay raking before or after if they are going to kill the chickens. Ought to only take about 2 hours with what is left. He said it is still very thick but it is very dry due to the over maturity and the heat these last few days.

Got a farm set up to test Sunday morning, might be a little late getting back to help with the preg checks.... but he knows that. We won't be moving anyone until I get there anyway. So it isn't the end of the world. Wanted to get it done before it gets too hot as they are calling for 90's the next couple of days with increasing humidity.....
I know it isn't anything like y'all in Texas..... but that is hot here.

Okay, I smell like an old goat after the heat and getting the cows in and sorted and all today, so I am headed to the shower. Won't wash my hair until tomorrow night cuz if we kill chickens tomorrow, it will really stink then.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is hot and dry here. The Bahia grass I planted this spring is suffering. This is generally when I lose what I planted. It’s so frustrating. The Sheep barn clean out that we spread over pasture needs rain too. Grass is curled up and dry. I’m watering the garden, at least that is doing good. Doing the weed pulling marathon for weeks really made a difference. Need rain!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep -- hot & dry here. It's that time of year. Chickens are panting and not laying as well. Most are huddled under a trailer or in some other shaded area, Goats & horses are staying under trees mid day. I am looking for relief then, too. ;) Lot of water tub refills in this weather.

Hope everyone has a GREAT July 4th. Pretty much "just another day" here. Maybe some garden later, I do have a cold beer at the ready. :cool: