Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Went and tested the farm yesterday, and it wasn't as hot as I was afraid it would be, because there was a breeze all afternoon. Long day though, started milking at 1:45 and got done at 6:15 so 4 1/2 hours. Then computer work. Got back to let the cow out about 8:30 or 9 last night. My knees were letting me know how unhappy they were. Still aching alot today. Have gone from being off all supplements for 2 weeks to see if there was a difference, to back to taking turmeric and the combination joint supplements. Was hoping that the cortisone was going to be a bigger reliever..... NOPE, they ache as much as they ever did and it has been 2 weeks so I am thinking that there won't be much relief from it. Maybe I am being premature, but there is no lessening of the hurt since the lidocaine has worn off the initial shots.
Disappointing to say the least. I was sure hoping for more "easing" of the pain, to a dull ache maybe? It flat out hurts to walk on them still/again.

We wound up with about 4 tenths inch of rain from that rain on Friday which was great. Clouded up a couple times today, but radar showing it staying north..... we could use some more.
Son cut hay this afternoon, and if we don't get anything this evening, I will rake some/all tomorrow and it will be ready to bale Tuesday. I think he might cut more tomorrow but was waiting to see what this aft and evening was going to do. Next chance is like 30-40% on either Thursday or Friday.
Got about 3 or 4 more cows with smaller calves at the barn to get moved out to pasture with the bull and then there are a few that should have calved that need to be rechecked. I am thinking maybe a couple slipped their calves.... if they aren't ready to drop a calf like "yesterday" they are going to the stockyard.
Got the calves coming in the barn at snyders, for a little feed so in a few more days, hope to get them all in and locked in so we can band the couple of bull calves, and get them all ear tagged and do the 3 on the nurse cow, and then they can start going out loose with her. No "sorry milk sucking witches" here to steal off this cow with her calves, so the calves will do better once they can go out and socialize and run and play.
Took that short bred heifer to the butcher this afternoon, he will do her in the morning. Both of us will be otherwise busy tomorrow early. Got at least 1/2 of her sold, so that will be a nice addition in the bank account. Not dealing with a heifer that won't quit sucking the cow at nearly 2 years old. She had been weaned for over 6 months and then went back on a cow when we moved some around. She was bigger than than the jersey cow she was sucking, and she was stealing milk from a first calf heifer with a 2-3 month old calf on her. DONE with that BS. She is part dairy, so ought to have some pretty good meat. In pretty good flesh also.
Wish I could have gotten my jersey cow done into burger and filets and stew meat and the rest in big chunks to freeze so he could make it into chipped beef and hot dogs and such. Oh well, ridiculous that the next available date I got was NEXT August 2021. I am going to call and get them to reserve me a date once a month for the rest of 2021, and if we don't have any orders, or anything to kill, there will be plenty of people on a waiting list to take the spot.
But this way if I have another come up open like this jersey cow, I would have the option to get her done up for me. I am about out of hamburger, and really could have used her.... oh well. This is totally absurd to be booking a year out.

Got the hog meat on the truck in the coolers that I am going to take up to the guy in the morning to work up. He makes great bacon and sugar cured hams and all. This is a hog my son got from a friend that hauled a load as a back load from out west when he was out there. No kill dates, so a bunch of them got together and he paid/helped to get it killed and chunked up into quarters or whatever.... they did several that day.
I am hoping this guy who made all my beef snack sticks and bologna and chipped beef and hot dogs several years ago, and is going to do the hog, will be able to make some things like "chicken hot dogs" and such. Be a good way to further utilize these "left behind" chickens I get. Going to talk to him about it tomorrow. Get tired of roast chicken all the time.....We'll see what he says. His wife said she didn't know if he could/would do chicken that way, so I just said I would talk to him about it when I brought the hog.

Got to get the samples packed from yesterday to go out UPS tomorrow. Don't have anyone scheduled at this point, for this next week, but I will be busy on the tractor for a day or 2. Got the 275 cow farm next saturday, son is going with me. Then I will have to spend 2 days taking apart and cleaning all my meters for the meter calibration..... on the 21st.... and the house closing should be that week too if all is going as it should. Too much all at once.... Plus more hay to get done finished up with first cutting, and then if we get some rain there will be 2nd cutting orchard grass to think about for sq bales.

Have decided to go with a clawfoot tub in the house and not deal with a jaccuzzi type. Have heard some "mediocre" thoughts from several, and a friend that is buying a house says it has one and they have problems with the electrical with it. Heard that somewhere else.... decided it is not worth it. At least this will be a deep tub. It will fit the space and is about the same size that I have here at the rented place. So that is decided. Will use a double shower curtain like here, one against the long wall and around the ends.....semi-gloss paint on the walls.... but it can have a "bowed" shower curtain across the front so will have more "room" inside the shower/tub area; because it will be fitting into a certain space with walls on 3 sides.... more convenient than this here with it sitting out and needing shower curtains all the way around it; overlapping, and trying to keep them from having spaces where the water can get onto the floor and such.

Time to eat something. Did not get up above 88 because of the clouds that came up and then went around. Little bit of a breeze today too, not as much as yesterday, but still better than last week. Supposed to have hot temps again this week... mid 90's again.

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @farmerjan,

Sorry to just now reply. I have been off the forum for a few days, which I will explain why once I get caught on everyone's journals. For what it is worth, your journal is the first one I read.

Thank you SO MUCH for the explanation regarding the hay merger equipment! I enjoy watching haying videos on YouTube. I find mowing relaxing and I vicariously enjoy watching other folks mowing, tedding, raking, and baling. I imagine you out there doing that.

Regarding your knees, I am so sorry to hear you being in pain already. I had hoped that the cortisone shots would provide enough relief for you before your surgery. I really look forward to you getting your knees done so that you can be pain-free. You have worked so hard all of your life, and now that you are entering the latter chapters of your life, it is time for you to be able to enjoy them. Thank you for letting us follow along in your journeys.

Senile Texas Aggie

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just a few words. Took the hog meat to the butcher and got that set up. Pork chops, sausage and ground meat will be ready wednesday; everything that is being cured, in about 2-3 weeks.
They will add chicken to things like hot dogs and other things if it is deboned.... so there are options. I just have to get it all deboned and stuck in the freezer until there is enough.... and like she said, hot dogs have pork, beef, chicken, turkey.... so can use up some of the odd stuff in the freezer. They are also booked into next March or April..... just unbelieveable.

Got back, did the cow/calves.... came home packed the samples, took them with me and went to meet my son so we could take the 4600 ford tractor with the wheel rake up the hill. The alternator hasn't been charging and they had to replace a part and now it should be fine. The guy who does alternators and starters and such is about my age, and does alot of BS with everyone in and out of there, so was there longer than we wanted to be..... but he is good and knows his stuff. Local business that will be sorely missed when he decides to get out.... like all these small businesses that service all us farmers and such, but they can't hardly stay in business anymore and the older ones are tired of all the hours and the younger ones don't want to learn these PRACTICAL trades because there isn't much money in them.
Brought him back down the hill to get his truck, then I took the Duetz tractor with the tedder up the hill, and tedded out the hay he had cut yesterday. There was enough rain up there during the night that it was wet underneath. I will rake it tomorrow. Got a ride back to my truck after getting done. Then just went up and let the cow out for the night.
Hit 91 again today, yesterday was the only day below 90 ( it was 88) and the rest of the week they are calling for 90's.... be good to get the hay dry. He mowed more this afternoon and the forecast if for 30-40% on Thursday or Friday.

The guys are back for the road/entrance driveway and all for the cell tower, and I talked to them for a minute. The boss said he would come look at the house/stuff I want to get taken out. As soon as the closing and all happens. They will be here for a couple weeks he said.

Got some e-mail paperwork for the closing, I am having one he// of a time with the phone co and internet here so may just print it off and mail it in to them at this point. PITA. End of next week it looks like. Have to make sure that the money is in my account from my retirement disbursement. Costs are a little more than I expected, and I am questioning them on a couple of things in the paperwork I got. Always someone wanting more. Plus they want some percentages of the ins ahead, yet then the next line says that xx amount is for a 6 month prepayment.... so why do you need both? Some one is going to explain it to me before I give them the money.... I hate that they are going to sit on the ins money and the taxes in their account to only pay it once or twice a year..... I am perfectly capable of paying my own ahead.... but get this done, get the work done and then see. If it appraises for more, then I might have some negotiating room down the road.

Going to do the cow, then PT in the morning, then on the old H tractor and side delivery rake, to rake the one place with all the little fields, then have to get the other tractor and the wheel rake to go to the other place. Will probably be able to rake the one field there he cut yesterday, but the ones cut today won't be ready to rake until Wednesday.

Probably have to go get chickens the end of the week.... they are supposed to go out either Thursday or Friday, he is going to call me. That's okay....

Going to have to find another freezer I guess.... I am about full and if I want to get things like the hot dogs and such made up, I will have to keep the meat in the freezer until I have enough for him to do it. That ought to be a real job to do..... have to keep my eyes open for someone maybe moving or something.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Slaughter places here are booked over a year out. It is nuts.

On the freezer.......they are scarce as hen's teeth 'round here. Have to order them weeks and weeks out to get one, if then. Freezers are the "New Toilet Paper".
Yeah, that's no joke. If I could just get things rearranged, might be okay, but with the impending closing, then having to decide on a storage building because there is no place in the house for more than the one, I have really got to have more space. Sooooo everything is sorta in a holding pattern,,,, I can't really work around things here as I have got so much just piled and moved around.... need to get the washing machine to the new place and hooked up to be able to get to 2 of the freezers to even figure out if there is room in either to do any rearranging.... and I wanted to move stuff and get it organized.... GRRRR:barnie:barnie:barnie
There is just too much to do all of a sudden with the haying in the middle....

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
ALWAYS happens.....dead time, nothing can be done, then all dumps at one time! I have 3 days and working my butt off to get things done. Well, the most important ones will be done -- probably not all I want. BUT it's improvement!

Seems "everyone" is now doing their own meat raising. Well, I thought I wanted a chuck roast but just refused to pay $8.99 a pound! One of these goat kids is looking pretty good! :lol: I can pen & feed out. Still have beef, goat, pork, turkey & chicken in that freezer. I need to use it. I'm not hungry here.

Your DS & GF....I swear these situations cannot be reasoned. I have one like that here. Haven't seen him in a while and that's OK with me. Hope it continues. Not a new GF but, a REAL issue for all the wrong reasons.

Now, depending on college opening/or? for the DGD, I'm thinking my DD will be making a "possible" move this time next year. She lives in trailer home at back end of my farm. I may be seeing a "rental" in my future. Well, home & couple acre pasture could be a pretty good income there. :idunno Has own drive and at back, not in the way. Just a heavy reference check...........yeah, in rental for 20+ yrs, so up & down with it. :D BUT not leaving it empty. Easy $1K per month.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The GF is being so helpful that I am ready to just blow. He has her moving hay bales, but I can't get the truck long enough to do it during my "down" time..... and waiting on him to get the step bars on, that I bought back in Dec after he got hurt, so I could get in and out of the truck, then he took the truck to drive because it was an automatic.... and still not done... :barnie :mad::somad:duc.... but she can drive it and not me????? Too many little things that are really getting to me.... I am really trying to keep a lid on it.

He asked how things were coming with the house, then proceeded to tell me that if I need a tub that there are 2 at his barn on the wagon.... he didn't know I needed one.... Well that is because he never went and looked at it as I asked him to when I first talked to them, because he was getting things back together with her.... why would I buy a tub if there are a couple that I can use.... so I will go look at them. He said that he has had to move 2 of them several times from places we rented and had to have a place to have water..... well, I am sure they benefitted his cows too.... didn't like the implications...

:hit:hit
But then, it turned out to be a not great afternoon.... I was raking with the Farmall H and the little rake and had to go slow with it so that the hay was turning up and not completely over since there was still alot of green underneath. Taking alot longer than it should to make sure the underneath hay would get up to the hot sun to dry and cure..... He stopped by, had me take him down to get the tractor and baler, and he came up the hill and started baling. I had come back up and finished raking by then. Most had been exposed to the sun for several hours and the little I had left was pretty dry so it worked out. A bearing in the baler locked up so that put the kabosh to any more baling for then. Can't use the net wrap baler with any tractor but the JD because of the monitor (another reason that electronics are a PITA) and it needs the fuel filter changed and all because it won't keep running... had some water in it so needs to be changed and fuel replaced and all that. So projects for tomorrow before he can get anything done.... I will go rake with the wheel rake on the ford 4600 tomorrow, then it has to have a fitting replaced that blew for the hydraulics....have limited up and down but no wide or narrow right now; they have some age and had to replace one 2 weeks ago, so not surprised... probably need to go through and replace all the rest.... I think there are 2 or 3 more.... But they never break down until you are using them and you need them. Guess we can't complain, because we use it alot and it is a pretty easy tractor for me to get on and off and use.

Turned the nurse cow out and the calves got the dividing gate pushed open and are out with the cow.... people from the pasture called and said there was a smaller calf out there that looked like it wanted to go back in the pen. They went out the other side through the bars of the creep gate. I told her if she wanted to let the calf back in that was fine, but that the cow will come in for her grain in the morning, and I will keep her in and get the calves in when they decide they want her to nurse on.... not the end of the world, but was hoping to get them tagged and worked this weekend before I started letting them out.... Oh well, just a little bump in things.... not a disaster at least. Got to haul water again for the cow, the troughs are almost dry but it won't get done tomorrow unless hay raking goes good. Showers due to come in Thursday aft and Friday.... hope I can get a load hauled before that so I don't have to rained on .....
Oh well, could all be worse.....
Calling for over a week of 40-60% chance of showers/storms starting this weekend.... will help the pastures, and the corn and the sorghum-sudan grass is coming up so that will really help it.... Got 3 places left after this for first cutting, all pretty close together.... but may have to wait a week before we can cut. The orchard grass 2nd cutting will need to be done by then it seems.
Going to ask the guy working on the road/clearing for the cell tower to look at the place to see if he is interested in a couple hours work before they leave the area..... would like to have that all lined up for when the closing is done so it can get done and opened up....If not, due to their tight schedule, then that is okay too, I will find someone here to do it.
Knees are not feeling any relief from the cortisone, so it is a good chance there won't be any improvement...:hit:hit

Oh, I have to go pick up the frozen pork tomorrow; chops sausage, ground pork... what ever else.... Guess I will rake pretty early to get it done.....have to be up there before 5.... and have to get the cow and calves situated first....
Always something....

Did get the paperwork sent back to the bank.... so am expecting things to continue.... haven't heard about the withdrawal from the retirement for the down payment yet....

One of our milk testers passed away. She was 64; had been doing chemo treatments but not sure what kind of cancer... nice person, kind of quiet, been testing a little longer than me. The mgr left me a message and wants me to pick up a couple of her herds.... DOES SHE NOT UNDERSTAND MY PHYSICAL LIMITATIONS WITH THE KNEES AND JUST HAVING THE ANKLE REPLACED 4 MONTHS AGO???? I would think that by now she would have "gotten it" that I don't want any more herds.....
Talked to another tester a couple days ago, that has cut back some due to her mom having issues and needing help, and we were talking about my already getting my SS and that she was waiting a bit.... turns full retirement of 66 in Sept....(one year younger than me)..... and I told her she was nuts to wait. The extra $5-10 a month or so is not worth it if something happens and you only get a couple years worth back.... and it allows so much more flexibility.... and she said that she was thinking about it. So when I found out about this other tester, and realized she was 64 and still working full-time status, and realized that she was not going to be able to take advantage of her SS; I was very thankful that I had decided to take mine a little early ( 65 + 3 months instead of 66).... and that I may live a long time and get less in the long run, but if I died in 10 years then I would at least come out equal..... and I can sure use it more now than not at all.... With the way things are going with the gov't, the economic situation, all the mess, I am glad to get all I can now.... One of the other testers started hers at 62 1/2 and said it was the best thing she ever did.... she is diabetic and said she could die sooner rather than later so why not take advantage of it. She was still working quite a few farms, but said it was still worth it.

So, not the best of days..... but we will keep on plugging along.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I started my SS at 62 and never had a concern! With still working, I'm at the point I would have been by waiting AND have gotten a very nice check every month! My late DH started his at 62 and passed At 67!!

Tractors! Wow, I only have one -- tiny compared you what you all need/have -- and I spend a good amount of time when I do the "check it over" day. That's a winter job for big farms but, here it's when I can. A breakdown is not only expensive for repair but, can be real costly with work lost, crop losses, etc. I have the owner's manual on my computer desktop...to be able to open it quick! :D Yesterday was a -- gas, oil, water, air filters check & general look over - after all the mowing. Which is nowhere near the mowing you do!!! But, I love to ride the tractor.

GF......:( Hmmm -- do you think he's "training" her? Face it -- when they grow up we are no longer their "first lady".... I don't have a business relationship with mine like you. So, I have distanced myself somewhat. Now, to get the rest of his "stuff" stored here gone......working on it!

Look at the tubs -- nothing to lose. I don't think there was any disrespect meant when he said they were there, etc. Just a matter-of-fact statement probably. Men do not usually consider "emotion" when they say things....or the way it comes across. Typical.

Hey, if those road people can't get to you, take a tractor up there and take those bushes out. I know you have those bad knees and all but you and that "guy" that helps can probably muddle thru it. May not be a pro job....but, can get done. Yeah, I know you are just hoping that they can go do -- fast & done! LOL, nice, right? I am performing a clean out/up myself that I would have loved another to do!! But it didn't happen, now it has to. I'm about 12 done. Today working on it again...tractor helps.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, if I have to I guess I can get the boxwoods taken out.... but they are nearly as tall as the 2 story house.... really, haven't been trimmed in over 30 years.... there are a couple of 15 ft + tall "saplings" in there too that I want gone.... and some walnut saplings around the small storage shed there too .... I cannot cut down the trees and even getting down to where I could get a chain around the boxwoods would be a project.... Need something like @Senile_Texas_Aggie has with the grapple...... these guys have all that stuff there right now. Have taken out almost the whole section of trees that is in the middle of the hayfield, it was part of the deal with them..... now the witch can look straight at the tower and the fence around it..... the trees would have shielded alot of it if she hadn't fought them so bad and made such an issue.... it got moved down the hill because of her and another neighbor complaining that it might fall on their property where it was originally slated to go. So it got moved.... and now has nothing around it but the hayfield.... and we got the grove of trees taken down and all so will actually pretty much add back in hay what is being lost with the compound around the tower....
Look at it and have your fit....better yet, go back to MASS where you will fit right in with the other idiots that @rachels.haven has to deal with...

Got a surprise and the money from the retirement account is in my checking account..... so all systems are go on my end it looks like. Going to be more in closing costs than I expected.... but I will be able to cover it just barely, since I just paid bills this last week. I am waiting for an accounting of a few things I had questions about. So the money is there waiting....it went faster than they led me to believe which is good. Glad I had it direct deposited instead of a check sent to me. It will earn interest in my checking for a few extra days....

Raked the hay today with the ford and the wheel rake that wasn't totally as functional as I would like but did get it done. The one hill is pretty steep and it is no picnic to rake it.... but it came out pretty decent so I think that he will have no major problems getting it all baled. Don't know if he is going to get the other 2 smaller fields baled this eve but it would be good if he did as there is a 40 % chance tomorrow afternoon..... would probably come up a quick rain before he gets off work at 3.... just our luck lately. So I hope he baled it even if it was getting dark and a little bit of dew. Hay was very dry.
Then went and got the frozen hog meat....chops, sausage, plain ground pork, some roasts, ribs.... the hams and the bacons are being cured and won't be ready for a few weeks.
Also stopped and picked up a new ignition switch for the JD tractor as it has been a little iffy about starting. Turns out there is some sort of a solenoid in the fuel pump???? it has to be taken off and taken apart????? That is why it is cutting off after a few minutes? Going to change the fuel filter too while into all that stuff.
At least they got the shaft and bearing replaced in the baler that had the problem yesterday..... we have a baler for parts and that is a godsend when you do your own repair work..... so he has been baling with that this evening.

My part is done for a bit except for maybe moving some hay off the fields... if I get a chance to have the truck. There's alot of hay on these 4 fields.... 3 are pretty decent grass hay; one is all weeds and I wish he would just bush hog it off. Not worth the time and aggravation. Or bringing home the weed seeds. I mean this is so bad that I wouldn't even let it near anything for mulch because it really is just weeds and autumn olive and briars.....Would be good to put in a gully to stop erosion.

Guy called and the chickens are going out in the morning.... so I will go up around 11 or so after the 2 houses are emptied.... get any left behinds....
Got to haul water for the cow when she is in the lot at the barn, the troughs are mostly empty. The calves did come in through the creep gate and were wanting in with her tonight.... I had left her in the barn with the one calf today. She still doesn't like for it to nurse by its self... she tolerates it with "her 2" on her. It got to eat this morning a little, when she was eating her grain, but she didn't have much milk...cuz" the other 2 had been nursing during the night.... then tonight when I let the other 2 in they all 3 got to nurse. I fixed the gate between the 2 pens so they cannot get out through the creep gate again.... and then let her out.

Forgot to stop and get feed when I made the trip to get the hog meat and pick up the part. So, will have to haul water, and get some pellets from the other barn for her for the morning, then make a trip through town for feed... hopefully before we get any rain so I can get it unloaded..... will do it on the way home with the chickens..... or maybe get it first and then get the chickens so I can come straight home. I will call and see if there are very many just so I know whether to take only a crate, or put the 2 panels on the top of the back of the ranger so they can have the whole back of the truck. I expect there will be enough to make the trip worthwhile.... just hope there aren't tons of them. Got a few things to clean out of the back of the truck first.

Have not seen the fox or any other wildlife since they have been there tearing up the woods, and all the machinery and activity. YAY!!!!! If the guys have a cooler(s) with them and are going home for the weekend, I will send several of the processed chickens home with them. I can afford to be generous and they were really impressed with the ones that were here when they first came.... then they were already killed and gone when they came back. Let them taste some real "on the ground and not in a huge broiler house", type of chicken. Plus, it will free up some freezer space.... Method to my madness......

I was gone for over 12 hours today.... got a shower and washed my hair and I am tired. Should eat something or I will wind up waking up with the knees and stomach growling.... have to see what is in the fridge that's easy.....

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I cannot cut down the trees and even getting down to where I could get a chain around the boxwoods would be a project.... Need something like @Senile_Texas_Aggie has with the grapple...... these guys have all that stuff there right now.
Plan A! It would be fantastic if they can get there! My Plan B, in case. :D =D

Woohoo -- $$ in the bank. Ready to close it up lady! By the end of the month you should be a homeowner, again. There is a satisfaction in that. My farm still has a mortgage but, less than I'd ever find for rent! Don't get me wrong -- paid off would be nice -- but, I'm ok with this. And, I believe you said it would be less than your rent now. I'm excited for you!

Currently, the fox seen here hasn't gotten more of my chickens. I am fighting off a groundhog that felt it needed to live here. Hoping to have in under control now....but, watchful. There are several in the area, first one who has ventured here. It's a new thing & I'm hoping my flooding the den every day has confirmed it's not welcome! No new activity or tracks. Now, I'm filling the exits. :idunno A job but --- no one else to do it.