Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
tho, I don't have teeth to bite my tongue, but I was sure gumming it to death...
Fortunately it was NEARLY to death and it recovered!

One of the worst experiences of my life.
Wow Bay, that has to be WAY up there on the "bet you can't top this" financing stories. Seems to me (and I'm sure you) that since the house was not in the condition you agreed to when you made the offer HUD should have dropped the price $10K. Of course we all know that pigs will fly supersonic before that would ever happen.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I think that @Baymule and her husband had about the limit of S@#T deals.... mine are tame in comparison.

Got the paper that went through the courthouse on the lien being released so that is all clear. Thank goodness.

Called a neighbor / friend, and got him to come over with the mowers and got the lawn done and the weed eating done. He has a lawn mowing business and I told him that I just wanted him to plan to do it every couple weeks for the rest of the season.... Might be able to get my mower put together and I will just take it to the other house. Still looking for a closing the end of next week.... I hope.
He is also the farmer that put up the chicken houses that I should hopefully be getting some "left behinds" this time. They are 13 days old now, so will be going out in about 3 weeks. That will work good. I ought to have caught every sorry chicken killing varmint in a 10 mile radius by then!!!!!! And who knows, should have the closing and all done and might set them up at the house.... I think I will put the meat birds where the garden was/is going next year so they can eat it down, fertilize it and all that.... then move the pens off in the spring. Won't have any through the winter if I do the replacements.

We had a little better than .4 inch rain in the gauge this morning. Went to PT and swung by the chickens. Had a possum in the trap and there was a spot where it, or others, had dug under and was missing a couple more... I have come to believe that this whole batch is going the way of varmints.... but I will persevere and get every single one that I possibly can. I did put a panel flat on the ground under and along that whole side so they can't dig under there.... shot the possum and reset the trap.
It rained a good hard one this evening. Son had some of the cows in from the back... I preg rechecked 3...figured out that 1 is a heifer of mine, that somehow didn't get moved with the rest out front so not preg...needs to go with the bull now.... 2 cows have big calves in them so will be calving here shortly. One has a brand new calf and the other 3 have calves that are about 6-8 weeks old. They will get moved out to pasture with the bull... should have been done, he has been talking about it for a month but has been too busy every evening to do it. I don't say anything anymore, he says it needs to be done, that we will do it "this weekend" then isn't available to do it.... I'm not fighting him on it. She is his priority and he is slacking off on the things that really need doing.... and I am not saying anything. I make sure that I am available to do the things he wants to do, then he doesn't do it.... can't say it is me.....
Got the bull that has an attitude, up to the barn and is in with this group for the night. He is going tomorrow along with that jersey cow of mine that was open, since I can't get a kill appt anytime soon. Going to get some calves in at another pasture and take a load I guess. Then my heifer can go with the bull up at snyders with the other 5 getting bred now.... she is one I want to keep.

Did the nurse cow, let her out and am done for the night. Got to put the long hoses on the truck in the morning, for the farm I am going to test tomorrow afternoon.... do the nurse cow, chickens, etc., and then go help him with getting the cows and calves in and decide who he is shipping. Plus get the jersey over into the barn lot from the next field over, and get that bull in. It will be a busy day....He took off since he has already worked his 40 this week, giving up overtime tomorrow to do this, but that is his choice. Then I will go to work, he will haul them to the sale, and they are having a dispersal of about 35-40 with calves at 6p.m.. Some guy is out of grass and is selling this group. So might be a few he can pick up with calves, to add .... selling the bull anyway so may as well see if he can add any. Good for us that we have alot of pasture, quite understocked at 2 places, so a couple more cow/calf pairs would be welcome. The rain was nice today, and more expected but there are still alot of places that weren't getting any, like it was going right around us. So there are alot of dry places..... Never know..... I doubt I will get done at this farm in time to make the 6 p.m. dispersal.... but I will be coming down through so will stop on my way home.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Friday evening. Things got changed around a bit but day is done. Muggy and hot again today... hit 91 from 72 last night. Sure is not cooling off much.
First off... Got another coon.... so that is 4 coons and 1 possum.... 5 out of 5 days..... HOLY COW:th:somad. I noticed that there had been some digging under yesterday and laid that panel down alongside so they couldn't dig under.... bet that was another coon... since I caught one last night..... I swung by there this morning on my way to the barn and saw it and said gee whiz....

Original plans got changed around this morning. Met ds at the pasture at 8 to get the cows/calves in. Honestly I figured it would be a problem since he had only turned them in on this fresh section the day before. BUT, I was wrong.... he took the 4 wheeler up in the field after putting out feed in the feeders and in some small piles on the ground.... Rode up there, called them and they were heading down the field swarming all around him and then practically "leading him" to the pen. There were a couple that he had to go around to head them into the gate, but really, they came in 100 x better than I expected. There were several calves there with pinkeye/runny eyes and 1 cow with a runny eye starting. So we sorted the 7 calves that needed treating and kept them and their mothers in the pen to take together to the barn to treat; plus the one cow that needed treating. Then we turned out all the other cows without their calves. Then took 2 trips to take all the calves and the 8 cows to the barn. The cows we turned out will get a break now until they are going to calve again in sept/oct/nov..... They are all in pretty good shape too, no one thin or looking like they need groceries so that is good.

After getting to the barn, got the calves that needed worked into the chute and the cow.... gave them shots and all, then they all went on the hill with the other group of cows that have calves that are going to be weaned in 2-3 weeks. They are also all confirmed pregnant, and those calves will be coming off to get sold so those cows can get a break before calving again. Hopefully their eyes will have had a chance to get cleared up.
Then we took the 3 cows with bigger calves, plus another one that was checked open, with her calf, and the jersey steer of mine that just needs to be out grazing, to a pasture with other cows and steer calves, so that they can bred by the bull. They needed to be out on grass and out of the way at the barn. The 2 that are very pregnant and the one with the new calf will all go out back into a lot to calve. They are the start of our fall calving group as is is getting too late to turn them out with a bull now with brand new calves. They won't come in heat for 30-60 days, so that would put them into summer again and supposedly, we should be done with new calves by the early part of June. Of course, things don't get done like they should lately.
Regardless, I will get that heifer up to the nurse cow pasture to get bred, and I think there are 2 more heifers there to get bred.
Got some odd ball heifers and steers that are going on Mon or Tues to a guy who buys the oddball, mediocre stuff. Especially ones that might have one totally bad/blind eye that would not bring much at the normal feeder sale. It was working out and my son had been buying a few here and there to put together a load... but then this guy backed off and didn't take any for a couple months and we got stuck feeding them. So he finally is looking for some again, and we are going to clean house of anything that just is mediocre..... They have to be about 5-800 lbs..... Be glad to get that group cleaned out and gone.

So then I ran up and did my nurse cow, got my stuff for work, and I wound up taking the load of calves, plus the ornery bull, and my cull jersey cow, to the sale. This way he could stay at the farm a little longer to do a few other things that he was trying to get done. Got them unloaded, and then my son came in with my truck and my work stuff, so I could leave by 2 p.m.; and he stayed at the sale and I went on to work. We don't sell stuff unless we can be there to watch it, because a few times something will get sold for "giveaway prices" and we have learned over the years that if we aren't there, and it goes for "cheap" we get really upset that we weren't there to "buy it back". He stayed for the steers, and then texted me that he was going home to get some other stuff done, and for me to pick up the check on the way home. He didn't stay for the dispersal cow sale and I didn't get done testing in time to get there.
So I didn't get there until after 8 and picked up the check. The bull did VERY GOOD.... prices had been in the 50's and 60's a few weeks ago.... but we had heard they were coming up. He brought .92 / lb. which was more than the .80-85 /lb. we were thinking. He weighed over 1700 so did real good. Glad he is gone and glad that we couldn't get him in a few weeks ago as he wouldn't have brought as much then. The jersey cow weighed over 1100 and brought .55/ lb. I think. More than the 40-45 that I was expecting. So I was pleased with that. The steers did okay, 1.30-1.40 and one group of 5 was right at 1.60 which was real good.... the heifers all brought in the 1.30's which is what they have been doing. I don't have the weights or paper in front of me.... but they did good overall. So the other group needs to come in and go also.

So, I need to get in and get a shower and wash all the cow manure and sweat off.... wash my hair as these beef cows/calves were pretty loose from being on the grass..... and even the dairy cows at the farm were loose.... I think with the heat they are just drinking more and the feed is going through them because of the increased water intake and decreased feed.

He will be cutting some hay tomorrow morning, then "we all" are going to Cass WVA to ride on the steam train. I gave in to the request to go, but am really not wanting to. This is not the time of year to be doing this sort of thing but she wanted to and got the reservations.... You can't plan things like this at this time of year because it gets screwed up if the weather turns dry...... like it is supposed to...... and we should be finishing up the hay. The only thing that is making me keep my mouth shut.... because I really don't want to go; is that after this I can refuse to do stuff with the "getting things done at the house so I can get moved in" excuse......
Then cutting more on Sunday.... hopefully will finally get all the first cutting done this week. He is possibly going to lose the one place after this year because they are not happy that it still isn't cut. I don't blame them, we had the breakdown, but there were a few other times that he should have cut some that he didn't and now it is dragging out things. It will be time to cut the 2nd cutting of orchard grass, at the 2 fields; since we got about an inch and then whatever it rained today.... and it looked by the radar that shows the previous 6 hours, it really sat over top of us this afternoon.... and there was some washing down the sides of the roads so must have been a good rain finally.....got a short rain at the farm I was testing, but not hard or long. It was harder and longer here. The corn and sorghum-sudan grass got a good soaking that it was needing desperately. It will really give a boost to the hayfields and to the pastures.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Still need a good soaking here. Sprinkles don't cut it.

That's great on the cows.calves. I'm hoping to take a dozen bucklings to auction 8/8. Still have to confirm it's happening. :) But normally a good one for goats. With ethnic holidays in Sept, it's time to get them there. The meat buyers will be after them and this size. BUT I want them gone now, no matter good or ok price....just time to be gone. They are all slick and weight they should be. The checks are always welcome. Feeds the rest of them here. Plus, less to care for and handle. Will cull a few yearling does, also.

I got 3 new chickens gifted -- blue egg breeds. Surprise and welcome but, mainly a contact for more. I love to see the colored eggs and my old hens that are blue shelled, have almost gone white shelled now. Still huge, great eggs and layers. So I plan to pen them to "clean out" and add this new -- I expect to be (2.5-3mos now) -- roo. Anyhow, they have eggs in bator and I plan to buy a few checks. :D A good line of Americauna, nice color shells. They sell really well here -- colored egg layers -- due to all the "backyard" hens....3-6 hens allowed. Already have the brown egg roo, so in Spring can breed for green eggs also. Yeah, just a little chick sale sideline. Easier to handle than the goats & cows, right? CL & chicken swaps do well here for such. Adjust to your area sales for income. ;)

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sat eve. Survived the trip to Cass WVa and the steam train ride. It is a refurbished train from when they did timbering on the mountain. Neat to ride and was pretty well attended but not crowded. Weather was very nice, pretty comfortable, not too humid there. Of course, that is the mountains.... at least what we call mountains here in the east.... train ride started around 2,000 feet and went up to over 4500 feet, so a climb for a small steam engine. I have been before but it has been years. After all that, the planning and all, her daughter decided not to go and wanted to go to some friends to a sleepover.... my son had asked the gf to plan it so she could go.... I was flabbergasted when we dropped her off at a friends house. The daughter is 10. I asked what was going on after we dropped her off, and the gf said well she got asked to this slumber party and it was going to start around 4. I said," yes, it was mentioned when you picked me up from one of the fields to take me back to my truck and you told her she could go later that eve because there was something planned for that day."
So whatever. Her mom also went, she seems like a nice person but we have nothing in common. I tried several times to start conversations and although very polite and all, got just simple answers, and no other attempts to talk. I got tired of trying. 2 1/2 hours over there, all 2 lane decent roads but curvy mountain roads. Him and her sat in the front, her mom and I in the back, and very little attempt was made to talk amongst....
Trip was nice, beautiful day for it, but my son did make one comment to me that he was pretty upset about her deciding she didn't want to go, and that we should have just put it off for another day since it was dry and he should be cutting hay. I didn't say anything.
He did not cut any hay this morning because we had a GLORIOUS 9 tenths inch Friday evening.... mostly got more rain here while we got that little bit while I was at work. So the hay was still really wet standing early and we had to leave by 9:30 to go. He had cut one small field on Friday afternoon when he came home from the sale, but it will have to be tedded out tomorrow afternoon because it will be soaked underneath. Forecast is showing possible 50% chance Tuesday afternoon.... so if he cuts tomorrow, it will all need to be tedded out and hopefully dry enough to rake on Monday afternoon.....
Got that guy coming for those cattle too one day.... a couple of them might be mine too; a heifer I don't like with a bad eye, another one that just isn't growing and not going to take the chance on her at the sale as this is a guaranteed 1.00 / lb. . Don't know what else. But I want to see as I want to weigh mine so I get paid for their actual weight and not a " I think she weighs about 500" type of deals.....Too much to do with the hay, but it will get priority.....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Internet light has been flashing so decided to do this in a couple posts in case.

Temps went from a decent 67 last night to 96 today..... It was muggier and hotter here than out there, you could feel it when I got home.

Nothing in the trap this morning, but something had dug under the one spot that I didn't have wire laying on the ground, and there were 2 more missing..... so this eve I fixed all that, and set it with a McD hamburger that I stopped and got since I was coming through, rather than go all the way home for something and waste the time and gas. Hopefully it will go in tonight. I could spend a 1.00 for a burger from the dollar menu.

So I am going to go get some clothes into the baskets so I can go do some laundry after I do the tedding and such I need to do. Then I can get them out and they can dry while I am in the fields.
Sure hope I hear something about a day set for the closing this week.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think that since I had no problems last year, they were just all moving into the area and scoping out the best buffet in town.... if you like chicken, and dumping over chicken feed buckets, and pulling chickens out under the framed wire panels.....
Yeah, could be the fox back, but I have my money on more coons or possums.... no skunk odors so don't think they have made any appearances yet.

Got some nosy people asking about the tower and where it was going.... I said it was all on the plat that the county approved, and the lady said, yes, but is it going there where the telephone pole is and I just said I don't know....they said they lived next door, but we know the next door neighbors, across the road.... and the other ones up the road, and the ones at the next house down the road have childrens play things in the yard and the next ones are the 2 different owners we rent from (one on each side of the road). These people were older.... like older than me....mid-70's plus... unless they were the neighbors across the roads' grandparents.... I know his parents too..... they used to come in the mill and she's pretty nice and lives where the tower would be a help (halfway down the hill towards where I am now with crappy service). So, I don't know who they were, but if they weren't being nosy, why didn't they come up and say, hi we are so and so....so and so's parents/grandparents/whatever.... and we were wondering how things were coming along for the tower... so I wonder if they aren't just nosy old biddys that are trying to con info about the tower..... I think they might have come up into the driveway until they realized that my truck was there and I was checking out my messages and texts....